RS Warrior Forum banner

Warranty - What's covered/what's not - subjective?

453 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Spear Warrior 
#1 ·
Just some "FF" (fun facts)

I spoke with a local dealer last week about getting on his list for the recall work and we discussed the 90 day warranty. When I probed him a little further, this is what I got out of this dealer (not sure if it is considered standard or not)...
1. 90 days across the board on the new parts and anything related to the new parts (that second part is important..I will explain why in a minute)
2. Labor is covered if there is a REPEAT issue within 90 days on one of the items that they fixed or related to an item that was fixed(again, that second part is important) - this appears to be the subjective part and will depend on the dealer.
3. Why the second part is important? When I probed the dealer a little harder about the labor side, I was told that anything that has to undergo major removal or alteration in order to get the work done becomes part of the 90 day period. If your engine casing is cracked open to facilitate removing your tranny, and then 15 days after the work is done you have an issue related to the engine being cracked open, your dealer is liable for it - since it was related to their work. Obviously, removing a gas tank doesn't mean you can bring it back with a dent and ask them to cover it. THIS IS WHERE DEALING WITH A REPUTABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY DEALERSHIP IS IMPORTANT.

Your dealership has the flexibility locally to make arrangements with you on your warranty. DO NOT EXPECT YAMAHA TO STEP UP ON THIS ONE - THEY WILL NEVER WARRANTY SOMEONE ELSE'S LABOR. WHY??? Think about it...we are all worried about finding a reputable guy we trust to do the work - don't you think Yamaha knows there are 'slugs' out there turning wrenches in some shop? They will cover what they can control. Negotiate locally for what you want/need. You will be surprised what you come up with.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have not been able to confirm this yet with Yamaha , but contacted lawyer yesterday regarding Lemon Laws. Was double checking warranty to be sure there is no arbitration clause. On page 9-7 in my owners manual under Engine. It appears to me that the limited warranty covers the engine ( 280cc or more ) for 18,641 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. Would this not mean labor & parts ? That will buy me 4,500 miles & for those with low miles could be of more help.

Have I read this correctly ?

#4 ·
While we're on the warranty issue, I want to bring up a point for everyone who's bike is still under the factory warranty(less than a year old).
Due to getting the s* kit, I bought the extended warranty (xtra 3 yrs),because I knew the bike would get pounded on.
It seems to me that an extended warranty would be a good purchase right now. And based on how the dealers push it, there must be a pretty good margin there.
Negotiating for a good price on the warranty would probably be a good idea right now.
By the way, the dealer does not have to warranty s* parts, but I had mine assure me in writing that they would cover the kit and installation as part of my agreement to buy the extended warranty.
Anyway my $.02, and sorry if this subject has been raised before.

#6 ·
quote:Originally posted by Yamatized

Isn't it interesting how the people that you talk to in Yamaha customer service tell you that any dealers repair shop is more than qualified to do the work, but they won't back up those very words with a warranty.

Yep. That is one of the issues I have with this recall process. If Yamaha were to do it right, they would either warranty any CERTIFIED technician's work (and require each dealer to only use the Certified Techs on this Recall Rebuild) OR Yamaha would make some other kind of arrangement, such as having the dealer pull the engine, ship it to a facility, to be repaired under factory monitored conditions and expertise.

Oh, no! That is TOO EXPENSIVE some say. That is UNREASONABLE some say.

Okay, so we, the owners must bear the responsibility of finding a "good" dealer with "good" techs to rebuild our engine and then hope the dealer stands behind the repair work.

Yeah, that is really fair, right, and just. Em-Hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.