RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not too bad. I was pulling out of a parking lot that was leaning to the left. I just pulled off the water tank and put on a set of stag-straights from HK. I had used them before but had not thought about the pipes being so much lower to the ground. Long story short, as I cut to the right with the pavement leaning to the left the pipes caught and,,,, well, you know the rest of the story. Busted my M-Shades windshield, road rash on the right arm and leg, and puta goose egg on the right side of the tank. QUESTION. Does anyone have any Idea how to cover that ding without a new paint job? I am going to get it done but not right before Christmas. Any kind of Bra or such out there? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yamaha sells a mini tank cover for about $50.00 something dollars but it only covers part of the tank near the seat. If the ding in the tank isn't too big maybe one of those bullet hole stickers, but then again i don't think there very big at all. Sorry for your dropping the bike. It can happen to anyone. I've come close a couple of times turning my bike around and the ground near my feet was lower and i had to use a lot of strength to keep it from going over.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Try looking at Wal-Mart in the auto section, I found a~$20 dent removal kit. I have used it on a couple of small dents and it pulled them out rather easily and left no marks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sorry to hear you had dropped the bike.

Here is something an old mechanic tought me - pull the tank off and drain it completely, drop a lit match in the tank thru filler hole! Fumes in the tank should create big enough explosion to pull the dent out! Not sure if paint will stay orpop off at that spot...

I haven't donw that myself, so don't hold me accountable if comething goes wrong. But I would try this if I had to, and if I had replacement tank readily available just in case it doesn work out.

Please let us know if you attempt to do this!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Glad you're o.k. You must have been over pretty far to lever her off the ground. Tank bag....bra.....sticker?

·
Registered
996 Posts
vladens said:

Here is something an old mechanic tought me - pull the tank off and drain it completely, drop a lit match in the tank thru filler hole! Fumes in the tank should create big enough explosion to pull the dent out! Not sure if paint will stay orpop off at that spot...

I haven't donw that myself, so don't hold me accountable if comething goes wrong. But I would try this if I had to, and if I had replacement tank readily available just in case it doesn work out.

I would deffinately NOT try the above suggestion. I've seen pictures of gas tanks that have exploded and shot across the room when being welded on with a drained tank. An empty gas tank that is not flushed out is the most volitile condition you can get, lots of oxygen and a little fuel.I've flushed drained gas tanks with soappy water after draining in prep. for welding and have dropprd a match inside to confirm all fumes are gone and still gotten a pretty good pop. Just seems like an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

·
Registered
826 Posts
youngja said:
vladens said:

I would deffinately NOT try the above suggestion. I've seen pictures of gas tanks that have exploded and shot across the room when being welded on with a drained tank. An empty gas tank that is not flushed out is the most volitile condition you can get, lots of oxygen and a little fuel.I've flushed drained gas tanks with soappy water after draining in prep. for welding and have dropprd a match inside to confirm all fumes are gone and still gotten a pretty good pop. Just seems like an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

Oh, crap, maybe that's not such a good idea then.... I thought the explosion would have barely enough forse to push the dent out....

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
<Oh, crap, maybe that's not such a good idea then.... I thought the
explosion would have barely enough forse to push the dent out....
>

Due to the volatility of gasoline(without getting into the physics that I can't remember) the fumes are the worst...the vapor burns at (I think) 3600 feet per second...something I learned in high school through a demonstration with the local Fire Department. Soooooo....if one drops a match into the tank or even exposes it to a random spark through the filler....kiss your butt good bye and make sure you have a harp handy.(or a pitchfork)

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
vladens said:
youngja said:
vladens said:

Oh, crap, maybe that's not such a good idea then.... I thought the explosion would have barely enough forse to push the dent out....
ABSO_EFFING_LUTELY DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a kid I took ONE DROP of gasoline and almost killed myself.Took the lid to an old paint can and popped a hole in it with a screwdriver. Put the lid on tight put one drop of gasoline into the hole andswirled it around.I then dropped a match into the hole and the effing thing not only exploded loud enoughto have the neighbors call the cops but it destroyed the paint can sending shrapnel into me,the house, the fence, basically everything within a 10 foot radius. I have a nice 6 inch scar on my thigh from where the paramedics removed the peice of paint can.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
them crazy Latvians!
At least Vlad didn't suggest throwing a quarter stick of dynamite in the tank! Hey it's just a quarter stick.....remind me to not have you work on my bikes.....

vladens said:
youngja said:
vladens said:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry About Your Wreck!

This reminds me of my buddy that got caught siphoning gas out of boats! The way they found him the battery died on his flashlight to see if any gas was left in the tank so he used a match
the boat burnt to the ground and they found him in the hospital with a half burned face. Matches even around a gas tank with even just a tiny bit of gas seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was on my way to a gas station by my house several years ago, it was one that was old enough it didnt have all the vapor recovery equip. Anyway, this woman gets out of her car and strats the pump, the proceeded to light a smoke and BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM, no more lady or gas station......Good thing I was a block away when I heard the bang!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts