RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes looking to purchsed my first bike and looking at the warrior to be my first bike so is it the right bike to get for a first time motorcyclest to have and how much up keep is it thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I bought my first bike last June and its a Warrior. Love it and glad I didnt get the Raider. DOnt worry about the 1700cc or the 95Hp, it will be slow to you in no time and will then catch the mod bug. Ride on......

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you start small, you'll regret it in a year or so. I bought an '07Suzuki M50 to start on brand new. It's gone now and I have a used '07 Warrior. I'm really happy with the Warrior, but I think I should've bought an older bike to start on then I could have sold it in a year and not take such a huge hit.

Bottom line either buy the bike you want to grow into "so to speak" or buy an older used bike and sell it later and buy the dream bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the warrior is the first bike i purchased and dont regret for a second.every time i get on it, you couldn't knock the smile off my face with a baseball bat.

as far as upkeep on the bike, its about like anything else, follow your maintenance schedules and use common sense. you'll more than get your money's worth out of it for a long long time. good luck with your purchase, any other info you are lookin for on the warrior can be found on this forum.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Absolutely go for it!!! you won't regret it!!

My 02 was the 1st bike I ever bought 4 years ago. Absolutely love the beast! Change the oil and rubber as needed and enjoy the crap out the warriors performance and handling!!...super bike.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The Warrior was my first bike and I was gladto have a bike I didn't feel I had to upgrade. Don't believe the 95 HP unless you are looking to purchase a heavily modified Warrior. The stock Warrior has 76 HP. After I installed pipes, air kit and pcIII I was pushing 85 HP.I now ride a Raider which is a great bike and am installing similar mods which should get me about 100 HP.

I don't mean to make it sound like the Warrior is not powerful, cause it is. You just need to start slow and respect the power. The nice thing is you grow into the bike rather than out of the bike.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ok, I will go against the crowd. I have ridden bikes since I was 10 and I am now 32. As a newbie, I suggest taking the MSF course then go from there. Is the warrior to much for a beginner? That all depends onmaturity and skill level. If your young and new at this, then you will be tempted to crack the throttle open, or come into a curve to fast. This is when bad things happen.

I'm not your mom, so do what you want; I just gave my .02.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think its up to the individual, my first bike was a dual sport, and yeah as soon as I had it for a month I wanted something faster, sexier, more powerful, but I wouldn't trade the year of experience with that bike for nothin'. My personal opinion is that you should start on something your comfortable riding, if the Warrior works for you then go for it. One more thing, take the MSF course.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have ridden a bike before and are fairly comfortable with the general mechanics of riding a motorcycle, you will re-aclimate yourself to riding on a warrior without too much issue if you excersize due restraint. But!!! if this is to be you're first experience on a motorcycle I would not suggest it.....

The warrior is in the ball park of 650lbs with full tank and oil.... Even if talking a simple missed placed footing at a stop gravity can bite you pretty good.

And we are not going to get into corners that tighten up and a rider that has not yet grasped the concept of countersteering...... I am a proponent of stepping lightly with your first ride.... look into a nice 650 V-Star or the likes for your first road bike or better yet an 80's Maxim 550 that you can pick up for a song and give away when you're done with it.......

·
Registered
394 Posts
This kind of thread always cracks me up. About the only people that are going to tell you that getting a warrior as a first bike isa good idea are people who bought it as a first bike and think that just because they have not killed themselves it was a good choice. Asking if a warrior is a good first bike is like asking if a corvette is a good first car...

It doesnt matter what anyone says though, Im sure you will get what you want regardless of the advice rendered here so just do yourself a favor and buy some proper gear, take an MSF course and try to fill your pot-o-experience before you empty your pot-o-luck.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
fake said:
Ok, I will go against the crowd. I have ridden bikes since I was 10 and I am now 32. As a newbie, I suggest taking the MSF course then go from there. Is the warrior to much for a beginner? That all depends onmaturity and skill level. If your young and new at this, then you will be tempted to crack the throttle open, or come into a curve to fast. This is when bad things happen.

I'm not your mom, so do what you want; I just gave my .02.
+1 on the MSF and maturity/skill level.

·
Registered
164 Posts
First, I agree with these guys saying you should take the MSF
course. Understand that by saying this I am an absolute hypocrite because
I have yet to take it. By the time I decided I was going to get a bike, the classes were all
full for the summer; I'm scheduled to take it this coming summer. I would have
been a lot more comfortable on the bike right off the bat had I taken that
advice. But then I was an absolute noob. I had no experience on
anything more than a utility ATV with an auto clutch. It's true that you
can get too confident and hit some turns too fast. I've done it and
barely come through shiny side up. I've been lucky but luck only goes so
far. No matter what bike you go with, respect it. That's all; a
healthy respect for the machine will go a long way to keeping the rubber
planted.

Secondly:

I bought my Warrior last year and it was the first bike I had ever
been on aside from a mini-bike with a 5 hp engine back when I was 6 years
old. I drove the warrior around the bike shop parking lot for about 30 minutes
(after I bought it) till I got a handle on the beast. Looked like an
idiot out there I'm sure.

NO REGRETS whatsoever. Love every second of it.

Use your head/ go with your gut. Whatever addage you prefer. Personally, I followed my ears. Yes I said ears. The
warrior was calling my name from the first time I saw it. I think you hear it too!

haha

Good luck and welcome to the forum, one way or the other.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm going to go a little against the grain here, but I say go for the Warrior. Take the safety course above all else, but my first motorcycle after a mini bike was a CBRR 900 that was far from stock. Respect what you ride, you could get messed up on a 50cc bike or a 1700cc bike. Getting hit by a car or having one pull out in front of you is going to do damage no matter what you're on. Don't ride like an idiot and be aware of the torque until you get used to it. The Warrior is truly what they say it is - A hybrid of cruiser and sport bike. Most people on here have them for just that reason. Nobody on here likes to see or hear about accidents or fatalities so be careful and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
The nice thing about the warrior is that it handles like a dream. always a good thing for someone new to the sort. As mentioned in previous post take the training - it is good no matter what type of scooter u buy. also start slow NO heavy traffic!!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
At 48 years of age I had never ridden a motorbike when I got my licence.

Here we are compelled to ride a 250cc for 12 months.

The first12 months (15000 miles) was a huge learning curve.

Twice I got cocky and over confident and lay it down.

I hated having to ride a 250 but once I got my Warrior I was glad I had done the appreniceship.

The warrior is a beast and she's beautiful. I'd suggest getting some experience on a cheap and less dangerous machine first because you probably will put her down.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
In case it hasn't been mentioned enough yet, take the MSF course. Seriously, I'd even recommend taking it before you buy anything because you'll probably have a better idea of what you like and need in addition to some tips on how, where, and what to buy.

I agree that some people probably can do alright with a Warrior as their first bike but it takes respect, patience, purposeful practice (like using the MSF course after hours), luck, and a willingness to take what I consider an entirely unnecessary chance.

I also think it's a great idea to buy used to start, especially if you're going to get something as small as a V-star 650. I bought one new as my first motorcycle and outgrew it before it was broke in almost. I didn't really regret starting off slow but I was able to pass that V-Stardown to the wife so we didn't lose the money.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought a used Vulcan 900 or V-Star 1100 for cheap. Once that got old and I came across my "dream bike" I'd be ready for it and have enough experience to keep from wadding it hopefully. I would NOT buy a Warrior as my first bike and I wouldn't reccommend anyone else do that either considering how many people have "mishaps" of one kind or another at first. Get a pos and get it out of the way on THAT, then buy yourself a nice Warrior.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The warrior will be fine for a 1st bike as long as you respect it. My 1st ride was an 04 R6, lighter but much faster than a warrior. I rode very cautious for 2 or 3 months before I started to push it a little. The whole point is be carefull and do not get caught up in some of the excitement that can go on when riding with others. If you are doing something that makes you uncomfortable stop and take that challenge when you get better at riding, you know your limitations better than anyone. A smaller bike will be easier and probably more fun to learn on.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thank goodnes my first bike when I was a kid was a used susuki. I would have hated to put a nice warrior through all of that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I decided to become a biker when I first saw a Warrior on the net. So, that's my first bike. :D

Later, I wanted to get the thrill of crotch rockets. So I fetched myself a Suzuki GSXR 750 2005, which I only ride on tracks with my buddies, 20 years younger than me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts