RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought it would be nice to have an area that addresses all the normal stuff like "How do I adjust my ECU", "What kind of pipes are best for...", "Will a Metz 210 fit?", "What's the AIS?", "My bike backfires a lot!", "What's a BAK?", "What kind of windshields are available?", "Who makes the best seat?", "What is Flip and Grind?", "How else can I lower my bike?", etc, etc...

I know for a fact I've made posts asking most of these questions (probably for the zillionth time by the time I became a member!) and 2 years later the same ones pop up again and again. I admit it IS handy to weigh in on these if you want to jack up your post count AND be helpful at the same time. But this must get tiring for all you granddaddies to this site. So I guess I'd suggest that whoever is half knowledgeable about some of these areas to post here a topic like "Everything about 210 tires", or "Ways to lower your bike", etc. And then direct new members to this link. Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This was the original purpose of the FAQ forum it just never worked out because people dont search and read before posting a common question.

Do a search on "210 tire" and see what comes up!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I was thinking the same thing actually, it might be nice to have something like that. But CarKnee is right, that is what any FAQ on any site is for. It does get annoying to see the same questions over and over (I am guilty of asking the same stuff I am sure) but the search does work, just gotta be thorough with it. It can take some time to find the answer, but so does searching on Google or Teoma et al.

Having separate 'areas' for the usual question would be good, but I cannot imagine how much time it would take to organize the questions into those 'areas'. Plus who is to guarantee that people would even look in those separate areas.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just an organizational freak - I like things very structured and concise. I HAD considered researching topics one at a time and building a concise knowledge base on my own site (polarsoft.net), but that takes away from this board and the knowledge that only belongs here, because without this board you wouldn't even have the option to sift through all the different forums. Anyway, it was just a thought to help cut down on a lot of the repetitive traffic...

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
How about some stickies for the most FAQ's? I'm sure we could rope some of the more experienced & mechanically inclined members into writing out some information on them......

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Leave it just the way it is. This site is perfect. Its not to difficult for new comers and not to annoying for older users. Compromise

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sometimes it make us feel useful to answer the same question over and over again. Sometimes you just want to give instructions on how to do a search. Like I've always heard there is not stupid questions just stupid answers. Also sometimes by revisiting a question some new knowledge will be learned. Sometimes it's the same old $h!t.That my $.02.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Gunny is correct. It is that time of year, A lot of new members. They come here to get needed information. Since they are new, they don't know that there question has been asked before. Some may use different terminology, and wouldn't find their answer in a search.
There are a lot of guys here who know just about everything there is to know about a Warrior and others that don't know as much ad that. Most of us fit in the latter category. So when a new member asks for information and we can give it, our self esteem is raised and it helps bond the new member. I for one don't come back with the old ‘do a search” line. I may post links to a previous discussion on the topic.

IMVHO.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunny

Sometimes it make us feel useful to answer the same question over and over again. Sometimes you just want to give instructions on how to do a search. Like I've always heard there is not stupid questions just stupid answers. Also sometimes by revisiting a question some new knowledge will be learned. Sometimes it's the same old $h!t.That my $.02.

ill 2nd that

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel bad now asking the 210 question, I guess I'll search more on that next itme before I ask. I guess I just missed that one[B)]

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheesh. I've actaully never suggested "just do a search" without putting some info up front first. I like chiming in when I can be helpful. Erock40 - DON'T FEEL BAD!!! I was pointing out WHAT I'VE DONE AS WELL! I was just trying to come up with better organization, that's all. I understand the interaction aspect - perhaps I underestimated its value though. Gunny makes an excellent point!

Spank me! Spank me! Yeah baby!!! Yeah!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I was just thinking the other day how it seems this site is flooded with newbies lately. (Myself included) Not all that long ago, I was welcomed here along with all my questions. So although it may seem annoying at times to read the same questions day after day I say to all those in Newbie land......."Welcome"

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
I'm with Sean. The whole site is a living knowledge base. The only thing that I can come up to make it better is a simple rating for every thread: How useful would you rate this topic? 1-5 stars, like with bikes.
Now when you do a search you could sort the results be ratings. Many times when you search you also get tons of junk and I can see that that would turn off people. Combined with a rating it might bubble up the good stuff faster.
The other thing I could think off would be to allow the search results to be sorted in different ways: e.g. Sort by number of replies or views descending. A thread with many replies or thousands of views is most likely a stickier and more valuable thread.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
My two cents. It will be best if the new section tell all new and no so new members how to: search,search hints,search by members,by topic;how to post pictures,signature,see yesterday,last week etc topics,what you can't do,post;how to insert pictures on topic, etc.etc.etc

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
The trouble is most people that just breeze through on the information superhighway have just one question on their mind and refuse to surf through a deluge of FAQ's to find the answer. Part of the I want it all and I want it now generation. It is easier for them to sign up and ask the question. How we treat this person on journey through this site reflects on all of us here and on bike owners in general. Treat them with respect and they comeback, quip to them "To search first" and they get the arrogant ashsole impression. I was a member here for 3 months before I ever read the rules and still can't say that I have sat down and read them all. FAQ's are cool but the FAQT is they generally don't work. JMHO

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Rules are simple and concise, there's a whopping 13 of them, if you chose not to read them that is not the problem of this site. We all answer questions that have already been asked. I only see an original question about once every 6 months, that doesn't mean I won't respond to it. It's the ones that get asked once every week that get the "do a search response". If you won't make the effort to take a look and then don't come back, you aren't someone who will be missed.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
All I am saying is even if there was only one rule a lot of people still wouldn't read it, because "rules are for sissies" or at least that seems to be the general feeling that I get from most people, especially on bike sites. The search function is great and I use it often, but I have seen responses that the body of the text consists of "This has been answered many times, do a search." They are few and far between, and there have always been answers to the question in the post. To some, this "Do a Search" response may be a harsh for a first time poster. Everyone has something that they offer to this or any other site, someone with a new idea looking for an outlet may be put off on their initial post and not come back. In that case they will not be missed because they never contributed. Given the opportunity to learn they will and learn to contribute to this forum, being initially put off they will not. Back to topic, the knowledge base is a good idea for reference, I'd like to see it done.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think adding the 'knowledge base' component to this web site is an awesome idea. Everyone here admits that customizing their bike is seriously addicting, the KB would definitely help. For example, while trying to decide which pipes to buy, I was trying to figure out which pipes are the worst at 'blueing'. But after trying various searches such as 'exhaust blueing', it has taken hours to read through just some of the posts, and I still don't know the general consensus of this population. Also, I think it would be cool to have a special section that shows various options with different colors. There are so many different bikes shown in the gallery, it would be cool to organize by colors and options. For example, I would like to see an Indigo model with BigShots, the boulevard windshield, polished fork covers, Corbin Classic Solo w/ pillion installed, 240 rear tire, polished (not chromed) swing arm, polished (not chromed) stock wheels with both Double Fat T bars and Baron Radi'us bars... because that is how I see my '02 developing appearance-wise. There are probably several versions available in the gallery, but you have to search through hundreds to find 'em. I think a survey would be great as well: color, exhaust choice, handlebars, grips, etc., with a running cumulative total. JMH $0.02

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RSWPilot

I think adding the 'knowledge base' component to this web site is an awesome idea. Everyone here admits that customizing their bike is seriously addicting, the KB would definitely help. For example, while trying to decide which pipes to buy, I was trying to figure out which pipes are the worst at 'blueing'. But after trying various searches such as 'exhaust blueing', it has taken hours to read through just some of the posts, and I still don't know the general consensus of this population. Also, I think it would be cool to have a special section that shows various options with different colors. There are so many different bikes shown in the gallery, it would be cool to organize by colors and options. For example, I would like to see an Indigo model with BigShots, the boulevard windshield, polished fork covers, Corbin Classic Solo w/ pillion installed, 240 rear tire, polished (not chromed) swing arm, polished (not chromed) stock wheels with both Double Fat T bars and Baron Radi'us bars... because that is how I see my '02 developing appearance-wise. There are probably several versions available in the gallery, but you have to search through hundreds to find 'em. I think a survey would be great as well: color, exhaust choice, handlebars, grips, etc., with a running cumulative total. JMH $0.02

While I do agree a "knowlegde base" is a great idea I submit that I already tried it by creating the FAQ forum. People just don't use it the way it was meant to be used. I am evaluating new software and this will most likely be a future thing, however there is no time frame set.

However, your post seems to be asking for a more sophisticated gallery search. As you may not be aware there is a galery search to help you narrow down the galleries. I will see about adding in more search criteria.

CarKnee

·
Registered
141 Posts
The site IS awesome just as it is, inspirational and useful, but if you add search criteria, how about for picture size returned? Some of the pics are really large, which is nice when you're trying to figure some detail about how somebody for example wire tied the cables on the frame or what the CP 1.5 fat bars really look like... just a suggestion, I'm sure its a full-time job for you already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts