RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so two weeks ago a new neighbor moved in and he rides a black '07 VROD. A real nice guy who bleeds HD and has been riding them for many years. I beganto scheme a two week plan to get him to go for a ride against the Warrior. At first he didn't seem to be interested to even ride along with a jap bike, but after many hours of praising the Harley engineering, he began to soften up and agreed to a ride this morning. I planed a ride thru both the twisties and long straight aways to gather some real world "stats"
. Here are some specs:

'05 Warrior with a 145lb rider: 190 rear tire, VBAK, S* pipe, PCIII, custome map (82-83HP, 109 ft,lb TQ).

'07 VROD with ~180-190lb rider: 240 rear tire, Shorty pipe, PCIII with Dynojet map (107HP, TQ unknown).

We started the ride on the freeway and right off the bat I knew that the VROD would outbeat the Warriorin hwy speeds. Even going around 95-100mph in 5th gear, the VROD was able to smoothly overtake the bike in 5th and cruise past into 6th gear with no drama. The extra 4K rpm range come handly here.

Having felt somewhat beat onthe hwy, I quickly scrapped my plans to keep going on the fwy and took a closer exit towards Malibu cyns
. We took a right turn into Mullholand hwy towards the RockStore, and instantly my mood was elevated again. As soon as we hit the twisties, the VROD disappeared from my side mirrors....LOL.....that sucker just can't keep up....maybe it was the 240 rear....maybe.

Once we got to the RockStore, he told me, "wow you really lean that bike over," to which I said "why don't you go for it." He said:" I'm a straight line kinda guy".....LOL....I felt bad that he didn't enjoy the turns so I cut our canyon run short and carried on with the rest of my evil plans.

We took Mullholand hwy back and there are couple of long straight aways that are about 2 quarters of a mile long. We began to do some rolling drag races and here is where I have some mixed feelings. Rolling thru 2nd gear, we had a couple of runs where we were dead even or the VROD was half a bike length ahead. The VROD definitely did not dust the Warriorr, or maybe we just didn't have enough road to play with.

In the end, it was nice to see a Midnight Warrior and the NightRod next to eachother duking it out. The two things that makes me smile were:

1. The Warrior dominated the twisties without a shadow of a doubt.

2. It was the only Warrior today at the RockStore, vs the VROD ( there were two silver ones, 1 blue one, and two black one).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Warrior vs. Vrod Shootout

I LOVETO HEAR THAT ABOUT THE VROD!!!!! Buddy of mine has an 07 nightrod, either one of us has asked each other to run um, but both of us want to real bad. Thats pretty sad that you had to talk your neighbor into going for a ride with a "Jap Bike".

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
A very nice write up. I am one Warrior Rider who happens to love the VRod. Even with my highly modified Warrior I am no match on the freeway without a 6th gear and or the higher rpms. Stop light to stop light I have no problem eating up my buddies VRod, but he just traded it for a Screaming Eagle VRod and has been pestering me to go for a ride. I will meet him next weekend, but I will be on my Repsol 1000RR.....

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to like the VROD too....something very erotic (for a lack of a better term) about a cruiser that sounds like a cross between a sportbike and a porsche car....btw, here is a picture of his pipes....they are so loud that even when he rode behind me I had to wear ear plugs...LOL...

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Well, about the only thing you proved is you can ride in the twisties on a Warrior. I wouldn't be so quick to brush off the V-rod just yet. Sounds like a fun day none-the-less.

...and WTF aren't you racing sportbikes? At 145 lbs you are the prefect size for that sport.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JPWARRIOR said:
Well, about the only thing you proved is you can ride in the twisties on a Warrior. I wouldn't be so quick to brush off the V-rod just yet. Sounds like a fun day none-the-less.

...and WTF aren't you racing sportbikes? At 145 lbs you are the prefect size for that sport.

I never completely discounted the Vrod as a capable sport cruiser....in fact the '07 has a better foot peg location than the older models,that seems to be higher than the Warrior's. I'm sure in the capable hands of a rider like yourself, the VRod could be a veryintimidating in the twisties. As for racing sportbikes....I'll leave that to the pros...I love my job as a drug dealer.....I mean pharmacist.......LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
the sissy bar must be custom, no one mass produces a sissy bar that tall for v-rods.

since getting my bike i haven't met any local Warrior riders, most Yamaha riders in town are on sport bikes or Star tourers

·
Registered
42 Posts
A buddy of mine has a warrior, that is why I lurk around here. Nice bikes, he has done some cool stuff to his and I like the way it is turning out. If you ever want to ride shoot myself or MtAZeman a pm. We will be happy to meet up.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
datman7890 said:
I lined up against a vrod at the track today. But it was not stock thats for sure. The guy dipped in the 11's I think.
That could be stock. PJALBARANO took his Warrior to the track a few weeks ago and did low 12's. The only performance mods he has are a Patrick air kit and a V&H Pro Pipe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gdub said:
A buddy of mine has a warrior, that is why I lurk around here. Nice bikes, he has done some cool stuff to his and I like the way it is turning out. If you ever want to ride shoot myself or MtAZeman a pm. We will be happy to meet up.

i joined here last year before i discovered v-rods. last time i rode the bike in Tucson was back in July en route to Phoenix. been strongly encouraged to tackle Mount Lemmon by the riders here in Sierra Vista, but i rarely ride out of Cochise County since I've been placed on 2-Hour Ready Alerf for hurricane relief deployment. will be on that alert status until the end of the hurricane season in November :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Anyone ridden a Warrior and a VROD? I've never been on one (except for the showroom) so I'm curious how the VROD compares in the twisties from someone that has been on both; so that rider skill is not a factor...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have ridden them both and prefer the Warrior. The Vrod doesn't handle as poorly as most people on this site will have you to believe though. If the Vrod is being ridden by a better rider then the Vrod will get through the twisties faster but that's pretty much the case with any motorcycle. The Warrior handles a little better than the Vrod and I prefer the lazy nature of the torquey Yamaha over the more rev happy Vrod. Also the position of the controls are better than "most" Vrods(Street rod excluded) when it comes to aggressive riding.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I went and test rode a V-Rod earlier today and was a little surprised at the overall feel of it. It's much more sportbike and less cruiser then the Warrior in my opinion and although it's easier for me to lean the Warrior through curves I think that's just because I'm more used to it. There doesn't seem to be any reason the Nightrod I rode can't lean further then the 32 degrees or whatever they list but I did find it a little more awkward in that department unexplainably. The controls, although forward, don't seem near forward enough compared to what I'm used to (supreme legends forwards) and I didn't really mind the extended reach that puts the VR rider in more of a clamshell position. I also sat on an "A" though and think the more relaxed reach there was fine as well.

As far as performance, the VR pulls... and pulls, and pulls.... and then keeps pulling. I kept trying to find the limits and I came to the conclusion that V-Rod owners must never worry about wanting a 6-speed because you could practically live in 3rd gear and do just as fine tooling through town as tearing down the freeway at 100mph. The powerband seems to be.... everywhere. I would have loved to take it on the freeway or at least somewhere with less traffic but from what I experienced (0-80 repeatedly in town) I have a better appreciation and respect for it's performance side even if it's asthetics are still lacking even with the "Muscle" release. Do I think it will get the jump on a Warrior now? No, it's just not real likely. Do I now believe it will whip your ass soon after? Yep, I'm a believer now that that is entirely possible in many scenarios depending on the riders and becomes more and more certain the further out you go.

A quick note on the "Muscle".... seeing pictures of the Muscle is what got me curious and interested about V-Rods to start with so I was anxious to go look at one first hand when they arrived but I have to say I'm actually not impressed at all. The exhaust is.... well, just bad. The back fender is a misguided attempt although an excellent idea (obviously since we all do similar). The tank isn't real hot... basically nothing looks as good as it does in the pictures and overall I think I'm more likely to buy the Nightrod Special over the V-Rod Muscle.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
madav8tr said:
 I have ridden them both and prefer the Warrior.  The Vrod doesn't handle as poorly as most people on this site will have you to believe though. If the Vrod is being ridden by a better rider then the Vrod will get through the twisties faster but that's pretty much the case with any motorcycle.  The Warrior handles a little better than the Vrod and I prefer the lazy nature of the torquey Yamaha over the more rev happy Vrod.   Also the position of the controls are better than "most" Vrods(Street rod excluded) when it comes to aggressive riding.
Have been on both and the Rod cant keep up in the twistys. The guy that let me ride his is a very good rider and cant keep up with me on either bike. Once you get the Warrior lined up (or throw into the corner, which ever way you roll) you can keep the throttle on then open it up after the apex. The rod had to come in smoother and didnt allow for the throttle roll till later in the curve.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
independent_lemming said:
Have been on both and the Rod cant keep up in the twistys. The guy that let me ride his is a very good rider and cant keep up with me on either bike.

Like I said, if the Vrod is being ridden by the better rider it will get through the twisties faster

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
The new 2009 V-Rod Muscle is a horse of another colorand has it all over the Warrior IMO.... Unfortunately you must pay for the privilege of owning the bike at over $18,600.00

43mm Showa frtinverted forks (non-adjustable), 1st time for HD with this, 240mm rear tire, 19" up frt, 105 rwhp & 77 lb~ft torque, a new assist type slipper clutch, 4-piston Brembo disc brakes all around and ABS for yet an additional $795

Well like most HD's it's overpriced and the new VMax is much more bang for the bucks w/ more advanced technology
.... the HD's do seem to hold their resale values though....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
AlanH said:
The new 2009 V-Rod Muscle is a horse of another colorand has it all over the Warrior IMO.... Unfortunately you must pay for the privilege of owning the bike at over $18,600.00

I'm not sure where you get 18.6 unless you're including the options. A black Muscle is just over 17 without the ABS. As I understand it they all have Brembo brakes and the same assist slipper clutch as well. From what the dealers are telling me and what I read on teh website the Muscle has no significant performance related upgrade of any kind. It's all just the asthetics and optional style (ie the integrated front signals, back signals, split exhaust, new tank and fenders, etc). I agree with you that it is overpriced but on the Harley scale I'm shocked at how much closer it is then the "typical" pricing of theirs. You can get a new V-Rod for 15K so... not too bad.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Marco Polo said:
I'm not sure where you get 18.6 unless you're including the options. A black Muscle is just over 17 without the ABS. As I understand it they all have Brembo brakes and the same assist slipper clutch as well. From what the dealers are telling me and what I read on teh website the Muscle has no significant performance related upgrade of any kind. It's all just the asthetics and optional style (ie the integrated front signals, back signals, split exhaust, new tank and fenders, etc). I agree with you that it is overpriced but on the Harley scale I'm shocked at how much closer it is then the "typical" pricing of theirs. You can get a new V-Rod for 15K so... not too bad.
I suggest you do your due diligence as the Muscle differs from the other VRSCmodels. Inverted frt forks, itdevelops moretorque at a lower RPM possibly because of better breathing & exhaustand yes i made an error on the pricing
that price is for the bike as tested in Silver w/ ABS and possibly the factory alarm.

The Oct '08' Motorcyclist magazine appears to bemore accurate than your Dealer unless it's a misprint and i never stated that the other models didn't have ahigh perfclutch or Brembo brakes
....and if i walked out to my garage in the morning and the Warrior was missing and the Sliver Muscle was parked next to my Trailblazer i would have a grin from ear to ear

The shootout is Warrior vs V-Rod and not VRSC vs VRSC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts