RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another story to add to the threads here. I bought a 2006 Warrior with 10,040 miles on it back in April last year and was slowly working my way through mods. I put about 6,500 miles on it last time I looked. I was out riding one day when the weather was nice, and I pull over to check the time, I look down and notice there was a steady drip of fuel coming from somewhere under the bike. I shut the bike off and traced it to the elbow fitting in the front of the tank, it somehow worked its way loose and was leaking straight onto the front jug. I stuffed it back into the tank the best I could, enough to stop the leak (or so I thought) and made a dash back to my place. I pulled into the drive and parked it away from the garage and went in to get some rags and pliers. When I came back out, I knelt down next to the bike and put my tools down and then suddenly I felt intense heat on my face and everything was a bright orange. Seconds later the bike was totally engulfed and was starting the car next to it on fire. Long story short, the bike was completely totaled, as was the car it was beside. I made it out unscathed however, even have my eyebrows intact!

Good news to come out of it is I found another Warrior, a completely stock 2007 with 3,200 miles on it. I look forward to having another Warrior, there isn’t another bike that I would want. The bad news is that I lost all of my mods, V&H Long Shots, PCIII, HC pistons, VBAK and a few other things. I’ll keep a close eye on the For Sale section, and I joined the Facebook group, is there anywhere else you guys I look to try and find deals on some of those things?

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,152 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bummer. Nice looking new warrior. The brushed silver is my favorite.
I think you can still get Vance & Hines Longshots and the Pistons are still available I believe same as the VBAK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Wow! Glad to hear you are okay but I have to ask, did your insurance pay for this? There seem to be enough people on here to acknowledge this should be a "known problem" for Yamaha. Check out the thread "How Many Warriors Have Sprung a Fuel Leak?" it has over 220 replies.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
THAT'S WHY IT'S GOOD TO HAVE A GOOD INSURANCE AND ALSO THE RIGHT COVERAGE....
EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT COST SOME XTRA $$$ AT THE END IT'S WELL WORTH IT...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arizonawarrior: thanks for posting that, seems like it is the same problem, feel free to move it there if you want!

Sandytows: thanks! I will miss the candy apple red, though.

rcoligan2: nothing too much of value, just a ‘97 LeSabre. We were sprinting to move two other cars, but I couldn’t save the LeSabre.

rquest: fortunately they did. I would have been in a world of hurt otherwise...

Desertboy13: no kidding...overall I’m grateful nothing was worse!

Sean321: yeah...I did my even think about how close it was until my wife was telling me how lucky I was!

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's it I don't care if mine is not leaking I've gotta do something about this before it happens. I'm going to run this tank dry and pull that thing off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, terrible to hear but at least no one was hurt and hopefully insurance gave you a few dollars for compensation on the new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay!! My '02 was parked in a friends garage. He came home to the smell of gas,and saw it was leaking from my bike. End result is I'm replacing everything from the elbow at the tank to the dry-breaks. So I hopefully won't have to deal with "flare-ups"..

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. There is a related thread at https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/12-general-discussion/174336-how-many-warriors-have-sprung-fuel-leak.html where possibly you might want to add your story (or I can move this there if you want). This fuel connection thing is becoming a bigger issue as the years pass. Maybe its time to take some sort of group action.
Seems really strange that this doesn't rate as a safety recall. Had the same leak on our '03. Thankfully no fire ... and I was parking it in a built-in garage. The whole house could have gone up in flames!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts