RS Warrior Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Is there anyway at all that I/we can access our Attachments from the prior vBulletin platform?
Very specifically, there are hosted pdf attachments that I might update for the forum members from time to time.
In the past I could overwrite the earlier file with an updated file and still maintain the original Url / link. Therefore the existing links throughout the forum would be the latest file version!

To the best of my knowledge, there is not. Have you tried The Wayback Machine to see if it can still be found there in the archives?

Do you have a link to a post that I can look at?

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there is not. Have you tried The Wayback Machine to see if it can still be found there in the archives?

Do you have a link to a post that I can look at?

- Cricket
Cricket … I haven't lost the Adobe Attachments that are in my Current Old Signature. I've left the Signature untouched as it exceeds the new standards. Those files are on your server and available to download by all. This is a moot point so I'll move on as what I've requested isn't happening.

·
Administrator
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Cricket … I haven't lost the Adobe Attachments that are in my Current Old Signature. I've left the Signature untouched as it exceeds the new standards. Those files are on your server and available to download by all. This is a moot point so I'll move on as what I've requested isn't happening.
Unfortunately, PDF files are no longer on this server. What happens if you try to upload the PDF file to the forum now?

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Unfortunately, PDF files are no longer on this server. What happens if you try to upload the PDF file to the forum now?

- Cricket
Why don't you open the wiring diagram in my signature and see?

·
Administrator
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
After using this site a few times now I have to say I really miss the "active topics" button. It just seemed so much simpler to navigate, one button every current topic right there
Popular = Active Topics

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Post editing limits?
Please respond to the thread in the link below -

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,166 Posts
First, I will start working on discovering how to 'approve' members for editing.

Then I will communicate to the forum why this is another constraint that will chase-away forum growth and the follow-on that forum hit-numbers will fall.

We all need to edit on-the-fly to avoid confusion and also to accomodate very technical info that we have to research in steps and stages.

I need time.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Admin,

Private messages limited to 420 characters.?????
Really, can this be extended to something more useful?

This will and does cripple messages to members and I personally do not think this will work to the benefit of this site, it will alienate members, which we (and the site) desperately need.

My 2c

Dutch

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I pop in here from time to time, but haven't posted in years. I had changed platforms, upgraded and redesigned the site a number of times between 2002 and 2011 and each time resulted in complaints. Unfortunately moving the cheese will always result in some adjustment period; hopefully the kinks can be worked out and this site can continue to prosper.

For what it's worth... I dislike what you did to my logo :(

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Sean ... nice to see you stop in for the new look!
I agree that many of us complained but you always listened and when the dust settled there was never any loss of intellectual content, photos or links while you owned the site. After all it's that content, which went back to day one, that made this the best motorcycle forum on Planet Earth.
I'm saddened to say those days appear to be gone but the bike is also out of production for over 10 years :mad:

·
Administrator
28,166 Posts
I have already begun using email in most cases. I can attach files and pics and adequate text to help troubleshoot or repair. Its not as fast, but there is no alternative in those cases.

Admin,

Private messages limited to 420 characters.?????
Really, can this be extended to something more useful?

This will and does cripple messages to members and I personally do not think this will work to the benefit of this site, it will alienate members, which we (and the site) desperately need.

My 2c

Dutch

·
Administrator
28,166 Posts
Maybe I can ask another question on member editing.

With specific regard to editing, I'm given to understand there is no Admin selection method to allow members to edit after 24 hours.

However the software obviously has a hard-wired code sub-routine preceding the edit sub-routine to perform the passing time comparison between a post and current time. There is no other way to make this 24-hour time-period expire it has to be an if-then comparison.

Most cases use an input field to assign the time criteria for expiration of (in this case editing rights). Sometimes the time-period is hard-coded but that is never a programmer's first choice because it makes everything harder.

So could you please pass this along in order to ask Programming to go to the sub-routine and to bypass the time constraint to help salvage this?

I appreciate its a bit of trouble for you. But its less trouble than performing manual technical-content editing for all members on planet earth!

·
Administrator
28,166 Posts
Hello Sean, how is the family! I hope you are all doing well.

I think I was here for all the software migrations except I think you did one before I actually registered? Anyway, you were pretty good at developing and providing new growth-oriented capabilities. But we did lose some posts and attachments, its almost as if its by nature part of a migration. But you recovered probably everything and we kept growing!

I pop in here from time to time, but haven't posted in years. I had changed platforms, upgraded and redesigned the site a number of times between 2002 and 2011 and each time resulted in complaints. Unfortunately moving the cheese will always result in some adjustment period; hopefully the kinks can be worked out and this site can continue to prosper.

For what it's worth... I dislike what you did to my logo :(

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just because I can.
The new forum, is ...new.
There are a lot of things I do not like and some I do
Down, to earth, we do not pay for it, nor do we maintain it, so changes are as directed by the ones who own it
We hate it, work with it or accept it.... every-bodies own choice

So embrace it, or buy and own it, and change it the way you like

I don't like the changes, but will roll with it. Just hope we do not loose info like we did last time
There are other places where info is stored, search and you will find.
If not, contact me

Dutch :cool:

·
Administrator
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I am wondering why so much had to be changed tho.
We changed to a new platform.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

81 - 100 of 106 Posts