Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well looks like we arent the only ones having having our rides
molested in the name of safety! our fellow wing nuts have a nasty
recall involving frames coming apart or something like that. i saw
one apart in my local yammy/honda dealer the other day looks like
somebody threw a grenade on the seat and ran away. the engine was
out and everything. WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, they'll probably just JBWeld it back together. 'There you go, good as new.' Riiiiiight.

Just out of curiosity, how is that recall being handled (timeframe, solution, etc.)?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont really know i was talking to the owner of the dealership he said
there are a lot of them involved gl 1800s he is one of the biggest wing
dealers in the state of texas so theres no telling when my rs will get
squeezed in ha ha

·
Registered
570 Posts
My buddy just told me the 5 speed auto tranny in his Acura CL got replaced today due to production problem. Not a recall, but all owners got an extended warranty to cover the problem.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
spear, that's not exactly what I'd call an apples-to-apples comparison, but I doubt seriously they're getting a new crate engine. Doing a weld repair on a limited number of production units is not really that big of a task. For weld repair, it just has have an approved welding procedure, look decent and pass NDE (Non-Destructive Evaluation) testing. They probably have had the procedure for a long time, so very little lead time before they can start the work.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi ridingrules. Yeah, you're right. My smart-aleky sarcasm's creeipin' out again. However, I AM curious as to HOW Honda will manage this recall. It IS comparing apples to oranges, but we might learn something about different corporate cultures. That might come in handy, the next time one of us is shopping for a bike.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I'm not going to lie, spear. I think honda, as a general rule, builds the best motorcycles (and possibly cars too for that matter, except I prefer nissan) and has the best customer service going. However, I also happen to think that the warrior is the best looking best all-around performing stock bike you can buy right now, and yamaha is not exactly known for turning out an unreliable product either.

Like I said before though, if we're still arguing about this come August, I'll probably turn away from yamaha and not come back. I just don't see it happening that way. It seems like recall kits are on the horizon, about 2-3 months after announcing that there was a problem, which is just about the time-frame I would expect a campaign like this to be on.

It sure is fun arguing with you though......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts