RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

This is my first post.

I bought a Warrior 2 months ago after riding a FZ6 for a while and I love it. It's taking a little getting used to coming from a sport bike, but the more I ride it the more I like it.

I was in to middle of doing my first oil change this afternoon. I drained the oil and started to open the oil and saw I had bought 20W50 weight oil, not 20W40. Will it be a problem if I use it or should I return it and get the right weight?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
this is always a topic of discussion here and you'll get advice from both sides so heres what i do: in the hottest parts of the summer i go to 20/50 because of the heat and to keep the pressure up a bit and then the cooler months of the year i'll switch to the 10/40 but whats most important is that the oil gets changed [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] its the life blood of the beast you know [^]

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
This bike is bullet proof...i just did a 10 minute burnout and it runs like a champ....personally I think you can put any oil in this beast ans it will go for ever[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
679 Posts
The manual calls for 20W40.You wont find that weight unless you get Yamalube.The main thing is 40W.It doesn't matter whether it's 10W or 20W.Some here use 15W50 & 20W50.I wouldn't use 50W unless you have done a lot of internal motor mods.The 50W will increase the oil pressure & not give you any more protection than the 40W.Will the 50W damage your stock motor?Damned if I know since I'm no engine or oil engineer.The oil engineer that's a member here uses 50W in his racing Warrior but recommended 40W for a stock motor.The bottom line is I wouldn't drain it out but I would use 40W from now on.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Is your 20W50 syn? As long as it is bike oil, you shouldn't have any problems. Been running Mobile 1 V-Twin 20W50 in sine since the 2nd oil change without any issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where the heck does everyone find the Mobil-1 V-Twin? I have looked all over town and unable to locate it. One place I see on the internet is eliteetc.com

Any suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
quote:Originally posted by wildbike

Where the heck does everyone find the Mobil-1 V-Twin? I have looked all over town and unable to locate it. One place I see on the internet is eliteetc.com

Any suggestions is appreciated.

AutoZone

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Walk to the back of an Autozone and look for a small display or ask someone. There is not usually a lot of it sitting out and at $8/qt is it a little pricey. Just look for any of the motorcycle oils and you should see it there.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
quote:Originally posted by wildbike

Where the heck does everyone find the Mobil-1 V-Twin? ...

Cycle Gear

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
let me give you my auto zone story. I was changing my oil a couple of weeks ago went to auto zone to buy some mobil v twin. It wasn't on the shelf, it never is but they always have some in the back. I went to to counter asked the lady if she would go back and it she refused saying, "I have worked here for three- months and we do not sell that brand. I tried to tell in a nice way that the oil is always in the back she would not even look she just kept referring to her three-months on the job. Keep in mind that even though I don't work there I know every square inch of that store and have been buying stuff from them every since they were auot shack. Finally I got frustrated and walked out but just prior to leaving I said something a tad mean. I said I'll come back tomorrow when a man can help me! Long story short came back the next day bought the oil and guess who had to ring me out, you guessed it the same lady that said they didn't sell it. I remind her of who I was and siad here is that oil that you claimed auto zone doesn't sell. She would barley say a word. Oh I use 20w 50 all the time, I do have a little bit of engine work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I myself have over 14,000 miles on my 2004 Warrior having used Spectro pure syn 20/50 after the breakin period. No problems at all, still runs awesome. I change it every 2500 miles and use a K&N oil filter as well. One thing you DO NOT want to do is switch back and forth with your visc., such as the one guy has posted saying 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the fall or winter. BAD IDEA!! Just as switching back and forth with syn. and conventional, not recomended. In my 2002 dragbike I use pure syn. Spectro 10/40. It is thinner meaning less drag meaning more HP. I change this after every race. I hope this has helped you. The Spectro 20/50 I use is around $9 a qt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
One more thing!! For anyone who uses Amsoil. WARNING!! A lot of people have been having problems with lifters not pumping up and trans. problems. Hearing and seeing mostly on Harleys and S&S motors and Harley transmissions. We have had two trans. fail this year with both having Amsoil in them. Many Harley dealerships seeing problems in motors using this oil. Just ask any "Drag Spec." rep. and they should know about this problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok i have a really dumb question.
I just got my warrior 07. i will be doing my first oil change on it in the next week or so and wanted to go to a synethic

I hope this makes sense.
after you dump your oil and your filter there is a little oil left in bike. Is there any problems with the residual oil left in the bike mixing with the new synthetic oil. Or sould i change it run it for a little while and dump the oil again. I just want to make sure there are no issues with the little bit of mixing of convential and syn oil on the first time. After the first time im sure it will be ok.
thansk bob

was considering moble 1 v twin 20 50 for the bike.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Warrior-Dragracing978

One thing you DO NOT want to do is switch back and forth with your visc., such as the one guy has posted saying 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the fall or winter. BAD IDEA!!

Why?? I've personally seen motorcycle engines with over 150k miles on them that have had God knows how many types of oil in them. Please explain this further. I'm not doubting you, I would just like some real facts instead of "cause I said so".

quote: Just as switching back and forth with syn. and conventional, not recomended.

Again why?? What about semi-synthetics that come straight from manufacturers like Castrol, Mobil, and such. It's basically the same thing as you mixing some Dino stuff, and Syn stuff in the same bottle. Please explain why...... Again, just wanting some facts here.

quote:
One more thing!! For anyone who uses Amsoil. WARNING!! A lot of people have been having problems with lifters not pumping up and trans. problems. Hearing and seeing mostly on Harleys and S&S motors and Harley transmissions. We have had two trans. fail this year with both having Amsoil in them.

If this is true then I wonder why we have never, not once see that failure in a Warrior with all the people that we have here swearing by Amsoil. I know for a fact that I ran Amsoil in my Warrior for 40k miles in two years in which it didn't do one single thing that it wasn't supposed to do. Before that I ran it in a Honda Shadow for who knows how many miles and still not one problem... Ex-Wife's SV650, yep, same result. My current V-Strom that I've already put close to 30k miles on this year, yep, no problems.

I won't even go into all the guys I know that drive semi's and swear by it for their million mile engines. And then there is that whole "jet engine" thing that Amsoil gets used in all the time.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ardsranger

after you dump your oil and your filter there is a little oil left in bike. Is there any problems with the residual oil left in the bike mixing with the new synthetic oil. Or sould i change it run it for a little while and dump the oil again. I just want to make sure there are no issues with the little bit of mixing of convential and syn oil on the first time.

You'll have no issues at all with the little bit that's left in the bike. It will be just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts