RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting around last night and I realized that I no longer have a battery tender. I'm in Minnesota so I'm going to be forced to put the bike away in a month or less. I checked weather.com to see if it was going to be nice today, and it said mostly sunny all day. I thought, great I'll ride up to Dennis Kirks. The store is about 55 miles from me, so I thought it was be a good run to do on a sunday afternoon.

So I woke up expecting to see a bright beautiful blue sky. Nope, it was all grey and overcast. I checked weather.com again and it said that it was currently mostly sunny. I have now lost all faith in the weather prediction industry. Not only can they not tell me what the weather is going to be like tomorrow, but they are also horrible at telling me what the weather is like right now.

I decided to take my chances and ride 55 miles north anyway. On the way there I starting getting some mist falling on me. Not quite a sprinkle, definetely not rain.At this point I was already half way to my desitnation, so there was no turning back. The temp was about 59 degrees. I was wearing my leather riding jacket with the liner zipped in, plus two shirts underneith, and I was still cold.

I finally go to Dennis Kirks. With part number in hand I walked in and told the guy at the counter that I was looking for a battery charger and then I gave him the part number. He looked at me like I was retarded and said "Pick up the phone and place an order" I looked at him puzzled. I said "what?" Then he pointed to a wall of phones behind me. Apparently at this store, you order your parts with the phone on the wall, and then the workers bring them down from the warehouse. I had never been to dennis kirks before, so I didn't know. The guy at the counter was a douch.

So I got my part, stopped off at holiday to refill my tank and take a piss, and I took off toward home. It actually started to rain on me this time. But it wasn't bad. It was a slight sprinkle, and it only lasted about 30 seconds. I was doing 80mph the whole way back and by the time I got home the tips of my fingers were frozen. The tingling didn't stop for another hour anda half, and I ended up having to lay on the couch in the fetal position with blankets on me to warm up.

I regualarly ride in cold temperatures this time of year. But I'm not used to doing two hours a day. Usually it's 20 minutes to work and back. So I don't think I'll be making that run again unless it's a bit warmer out. But the important thing is that I have my battery tender and I'm all set for winter. I still like Dennis Kirk's. They have almost anything you could ever want in stock, and they're only an hour away.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I love Dennis Kirk! I get most of my parts from them! Sorry about the cold ride , if it makes you feel better The wife and I got soaked last night riddin home.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I too love Dk. But I always wait until my total gets above $100---free shipping!! I was going to ride over to inspiration peak today-highest point in MN. Anyways, I wimped out. It was the coldest 55 and sunny I have ever seen. Plus, I was at an all night Bachelor party and didn't know if I could listen to the Bub for that long of a distance(50minutes).

There seems to be a "douch"(i believe that it what you called him) everywhere you go. Should be set for winter now anyways....which really sucks!!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sorry about the cold weather. I lived in Mass and did many cold rides before winter set in. Too bad you didn't pick up any hand warmers for the ride home, but then again the jerky clerk probably wouldn't know what the heck you were talking about.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Sorry about the douch, but its overand you got your part.

Sounds like you need better cold weather gear tho. I ride till about 35*. I put a pair of sweats underbaggy jeans. 2 pair of socks and waterproof boots. Liner zipped in with a balaclava under my full face and finally some thick gauntlet waterproof winter riding gloves and Im off to work. 50 miles each way to work on the highway and my legs and finger tips get a little cold. Its all about the gear.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Every time I see some post from one of you crazies up north talking about riding in 30 or 40 degree weather and all the crap you do to make it possible I'm reminded what a passion motorcycles can be for some folks. Me personally, I'd either move or.... something! That's just nucking futs. Oh, and it's "douche".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts