RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**** the crappy economy, I finally got me a play bike, An 09 XR1200 Sportster, I'd been following it since Europe got it last year, Have almost 400 miles in the first week, bike is an absolute blast. I honestly never thought I'd own a Harley, but this bike is the closest thing to a jap bike they would ever build. Yamaha would'nt send us an MT-01 so I got the next best thing. Dont worry, I still have the Warrior.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
HDstillSKS said:
this bike is the closest thing to a jap bike they would ever build

What's so "japanese" about it? Air cooled, pushrod dry sump motor in a steel frame with twin shocks designed to look like a flat track bike from the 60's and 70's doesn't exactly scream "jap bike" to me. Don't get me wrong I like the XR, a lot actually, but I just don't understand the need to justify your purchase by making it out to be something it isn't. That said, congratulations, the XR is a cool bike and I bet you won't see another at a bike night.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Yeah, but with equally skilled riders your stock XR will leave probably ANY Warrior behind in tight twisties. And it will almost certainly blow away a stock Warrior on a staight.

Oh, and brakes..... had to put this in.....
from motorcycle.com about the new XR1200 and its brakes......
"Now with the XR, Harley sincerely seems to be catching up to the rest of the sportbike world in terms of brake performance.
There’s no question the XR’s Nissin-made binders crush down mercilessly on the 292mm rotors, but their strong initial bite will certainly catch a few people by surprise if they’re accustomed to a typical Harley stopping experience."

·
Registered
297 Posts
Although I am a fan of Harleys. I dont quite see the big deal with the XR 1200, but I will tell you that alot of my friends Love them and when I stop by Harley to look at the Street Glides, I always see people around that Sportster.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Looks like a fun bike. Congrats. My wife really likes the XR, so who knows...I could end up with one in the garage next year. That'd be fine with me :)

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Congrats. I really like that bike and have ever since I first saw it in the mags. Now go enjoy it. I sure would.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Just looked on the HD website,that is hot lookin',A little pricey tho for a 1200 but looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mirage orange & black, just like the pic above. I'm still pretty illiterate as far as posting pics & stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Centerline said:
Yeah, but with equally skilled riders your stock XR will leave probably ANY Warrior behind in tight twisties. And it will almost certainly blow away a stock Warrior on a staight

Hmmmm...I know you're an "ex" warrior owner, but i'll have to say that I'm not so sure about the second half of your statement. Stock on Stock in a straight I think I'd give my bet to the Stock warrior. Both bikes have about the same HP, but the warrior has the lead on torque - that will at least get him out in the lead. The lighter XR, may overtake on a 10 mile straight course as long as it has the top end. On a quarter mile strip, I believe the warrior would be the clear winner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Harley-hater...I'mjust NOT taken with this bike. It's not sexy at all IMO - just doesn't have any presence. Obviously some people disagree as evidenced by it's sales.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The blurb on the XR page was kind of funny... "...the bottomless pit of torque hits as hard as it did on racetracks a half century ago." Yeah, that 74 ft lbs must be something special. I'm not sure I'd want my bikes performance compared to 50 years ago either really. It's bad enough that it looksseveral decadesold but at least that's a personal taste thing. All in all though, for less then $12K you've got a Harley that you like andthat canbe compared to your Warriorso.... big win for you and kudos to HD in my opinion, congrats!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
HAW HAW! I think I'll just go away for about 6-7 months and when I come back to this forum, EVERY-FRIKKEN-BODY on here will be riding Harleys.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
hey big guy - Dont hold your breath cuz you will turn awful blue waiting on me top do that lol did the 74 superglde thing - that was enough

1 - 20 of 32 Posts