RS Warrior Forum banner

6921 - 6929 of 6929 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
Suggest you pick-up a tool quality M6 x 1.0p 4-flute tap to clean out the old thread-lock in the wheels as req'd as well as the companion M6 die to clean up the rotor bolt threads if reused. Also inspect and clean the counterbored holes from any overspray created from powder coat process including the bearing bores in the cast wheel. Also pay attention to the rotor mounting surfaces and rotor direction too!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take note that both your front mechanical grease seals are installed upside down (Backward) and the reason they threw the grease :( ... Pilot Error
@alanh you have me a little confused. I didn't install these but they seem to look like the original bearings, and looking at the service manual it came apart exactly as pictured and explained in the manual. Also I believe the bearings for these are ambidextrous so to speak no? Meaning they can go in either way? As far as the seals goes they came out with the larger open channel facing the inside of the wheel on both sides,which is how they're supposed to be installed correct? It was the spacer between inside, then bearing on each sided, then seal (large channel facing in), and then collar. Please correct me if I'm wrong, cause lets not forget the vacuum hose incident...lol. Also I do already have a tap and die set so I should be good on cleaning things up after powder. I also plan on taping the bearing bores prior to taking it to powder coat.

Same Bearing opposite sides.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
The rotor bolts are proprietary though there are Ti bolts available from the aftermarket!
  • Suggest you pick-up from your Yamaha Dealer :>)
I'm Bad :( I got Buck Fever! ... It looked like the open end of the wheel seal was facing up.
Yes, the sealed ball bearings are non-directional but I install them the same on each side.​
I doubt your tape will sustain the curing temperature of the powder paint bake oven but you can certainly identify the critical machined areas with tape for your chosen vendor. The wheels are generally blasted with some type media prior to powder coating.

A properly installed LH Front Wheel Seal shown below: Additional Photos Front Mirror SS Rotor Covers

·
Registered
57 Posts
The rotor bolts are proprietary though there are Ti bolts available from the aftermarket!
  • Suggest you pick-up from your Yamaha Dealer :>)
I'm Bad :( I got Buck Fever! ... It looked like the open end of the wheel seal was facing up.
Yes, the sealed ball bearings are non-directional but I install them the same on each side.​
I doubt your tape will sustain the curing temperature of the powder paint bake oven but you can certainly identify the critical machined areas with tape for your chosen vendor. The wheels are generally blasted with some type media prior to powder coating.
lol no worries! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Installed my Samson’s no tips for now. Lollipops (thumb screw mod) fully closed. More quiet than I expected will open them to 45* and see how that sounds.
I really want to try this lollipop thing one day

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6921 - 6929 of 6929 Posts