RS Warrior Forum banner
8421 - 8440 of 8442 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Found one of my pegs from my first Warrior…
View attachment 258011
Getting started on installing my new Cobra PowrPro Black CVT Tuner!
View attachment 258012
View attachment 258013
Installed the PowrPro and now I know why there is no "e" in Powr! You accelerate SO fast (combined with Ivan's flash) that space and time warp and the "e" gets so compressed, it disappears!

Haha!! But really, the combo FINALLY makes me feel like Ivan's has been truly unleashed*!!

*results will vary. comments not compensated for. I am not a paid spokesperson, but I love going fast (quick) and am all about the WOT as much as possible. I literally go WOT to speed "limit" (yeah, like 15 or 20 over) to steady speed... I know no other way to ride. any bike with less is just going to disappoint me like the daughter of a priest working on a pole. not that I have a problem with that, as I'm not a priest. and I appreciate the female form. I think everyone should in their own way. I just believe that financial compensation for sharing what their mommy's gave them isn't a crime and should be celebrated so long as it's done in a respectable manner... but I digress. the best way to keep me from spending my hardly earned cash on supporting single moms and struggling students is by spending it on my other girl that I get to take home. her name is Scarlett by the way. and she is sexy as h ell. but now she's fast as h ell too which I love even more. I hope you are not still reading this as I never intended for anyone to get this far, but I'm still typing because the only way to be funny is to really, really over do it. so I will keep going with the fine print because I know you guys are glutens for punishment. obviously. otherwise you wouldn't buy a Warrior that's been out of production for 13 years now (in the US anyways, you lucky Canucks got one more year and a vastly improved color scheme... well... only second to the midnights, but seriously, I'm jelly). so yeah, if you're wondering if you should buy a PowrPro Black CVT Tuner from Cobra, wonder no longer, unless your bike runs like a... yeah... with just Ivan's. I hear that's a thing, but mine definitely didn't so I've been chasing my tail for almost a year, which is another story, trying to get my PC-III to get dialed in, even loading a map from Ivan himself, which he does not like doing since his flash should take care of everything and a tuner shouldn't be needed, but it was in my case so here I am, grinning from coast to coast at how well Scarlett runs now with Ivan's, PowrPro Black, Churchkey's VBAK, AIS Delete, and, for now, my stock water heater. I'll put my Speedstar Gen II back on soon, but I gotta remove some of the wrap I did on the inner pipe, under the heatshields as I don't want for them to rust out and I do want for them to mount completely in case anyone remembers that I wasn't able to line up both exhaust bolts for the rear cylinder and I believe it was due to the wrap pushing on the heatshield in a way that forced the holes to just not line up. this may have contributed to my backfiring through an exhaust leak but every test I did "said" I wasn't leaking. either way, once I remove the wrap, it should be good and now my PowrPro Black will auto-compensate for the differences in my exhausts so I should be able to go back and forth going forward meaning ninja night rides and screaming out of h ell day rides. Yeah, I'm excited.

·
Super Moderator
2004 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
725 Posts
Installed the PowrPro and now I know why there is no "e" in Powr! You accelerate SO fast (combined with Ivan's flash) that space and time warp and the "e" gets so compressed, it disappears!

Haha!! But really, the combo FINALLY makes me feel like Ivan's has been truly unleashed*!!

*results will vary. comments not compensated for. I am not a paid spokesperson, but I love going fast (quick) and am all about the WOT as much as possible. I literally go WOT to speed "limit" (yeah, like 15 or 20 over) to steady speed... I know no other way to ride. any bike with less is just going to disappoint me like the daughter of a priest working on a pole. not that I have a problem with that, as I'm not a priest. and I appreciate the female form. I think everyone should in their own way. I just believe that financial compensation for sharing what their mommy's gave them isn't a crime and should be celebrated so long as it's done in a respectable manner... but I digress. the best way to keep me from spending my hardly earned cash on supporting single moms and struggling students is by spending it on my other girl that I get to take home. her name is Scarlett by the way. and she is sexy as h ell. but now she's fast as h ell too which I love even more. I hope you are not still reading this as I never intended for anyone to get this far, but I'm still typing because the only way to be funny is to really, really over do it. so I will keep going with the fine print because I know you guys are glutens for punishment. obviously. otherwise you wouldn't buy a Warrior that's been out of production for 13 years now (in the US anyways, you lucky Canucks got one more year and a vastly improved color scheme... well... only second to the midnights, but seriously, I'm jelly). so yeah, if you're wondering if you should buy a PowrPro Black CVT Tuner from Cobra, wonder no longer, unless your bike runs like a... yeah... with just Ivan's. I hear that's a thing, but mine definitely didn't so I've been chasing my tail for almost a year, which is another story, trying to get my PC-III to get dialed in, even loading a map from Ivan himself, which he does not like doing since his flash should take care of everything and a tuner shouldn't be needed, but it was in my case so here I am, grinning from coast to coast at how well Scarlett runs now with Ivan's, PowrPro Black, Churchkey's VBAK, AIS Delete, and, for now, my stock water heater. I'll put my Speedstar Gen II back on soon, but I gotta remove some of the wrap I did on the inner pipe, under the heatshields as I don't want for them to rust out and I do want for them to mount completely in case anyone remembers that I wasn't able to line up both exhaust bolts for the rear cylinder and I believe it was due to the wrap pushing on the heatshield in a way that forced the holes to just not line up. this may have contributed to my backfiring through an exhaust leak but every test I did "said" I wasn't leaking. either way, once I remove the wrap, it should be good and now my PowrPro Black will auto-compensate for the differences in my exhausts so I should be able to go back and forth going forward meaning ninja night rides and screaming out of h ell day rides. Yeah, I'm excited.
I totally read the small fine print.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,876 Posts
Awesome write-up. Fun. Glad your results have been like mine, it runs hard and long. Likes WOT and uses the added rpm's in good ways.

On your S*Gen2 check both flanges for flatness. Some over-tighten the fasteners and the flanges bend a hint. It makes it hard to install. You know to hang the front first then swing the rear up into place. If pesky, out on the net you'll find proper ways to flatten a bent flange. Read several and pick your poison.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Awesome write-up. Fun. Glad your results have been like mine, it runs hard and long. Likes WOT and uses the added rpm's in good ways.

On your S*Gen2 check both flanges for flatness. Some over-tighten the fasteners and the flanges bend a hint. It makes it hard to install. You know to hang the front first then swing the rear up into place. If pesky, out on the net you'll find proper ways to flatten a bent flange. Read several and pick your poison.
Thank you for that. Hoping to get it remounted this week and see how she runs. I can imagine it’ll only be good things from here on out.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Let's go........ Chop Chop View attachment 258084
Haha!! Apparently!!

I have noticed that even with my PowrPro Black, I'm still getting some backfiring with my stock exhaust. It's looking like I'll need to make some tweaks in the Cobra to dial that in a bit more. Or maybe I do have a bigger issue. :/

Most of the backfiring in during heavy decel. Even though Ivan's flash is supposed to remove any engine decel, I guess I ride it harder than it's supposed to be ridden. Before Ivan's, it wasn't uncommon for me to have some slight rear tire skidding from engine braking. I don't get that as much now, but I'm still pushing that limit as to how quickly the engine, while in gear, can slow me down. I'll say it got worse when I got my Tesla because that thing uses regenerative braking as a way to slow down and recoup some energy to boot. I usually only use my brakes once I'm down to about 10 mph. I long for my Warrior to put some of that gas back in the tank when I use engine braking to slow me down, but I know that'll never happen... so I live with the backfiring.

What backfiring isn't during the deceleration has happened right around gear shifts... that's the only one I think I can actually affect without changing how I ride so... we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Haha!! Apparently!!

I have noticed that even with my PowrPro Black, I'm still getting some backfiring with my stock exhaust. It's looking like I'll need to make some tweaks in the Cobra to dial that in a bit more. Or maybe I do have a bigger issue. :/

Most of the backfiring in during heavy decel. Even though Ivan's flash is supposed to remove any engine decel, I guess I ride it harder than it's supposed to be ridden. Before Ivan's, it wasn't uncommon for me to have some slight rear tire skidding from engine braking. I don't get that as much now, but I'm still pushing that limit as to how quickly the engine, while in gear, can slow me down. I'll say it got worse when I got my Tesla because that thing uses regenerative braking as a way to slow down and recoup some energy to boot. I usually only use my brakes once I'm down to about 10 mph. I long for my Warrior to put some of that gas back in the tank when I use engine braking to slow me down, but I know that'll never happen... so I live with the backfiring.

What backfiring isn't during the deceleration has happened right around gear shifts... that's the only one I think I can actually affect without changing how I ride so... we'll see.
Alrighty. It’s 10:10 pm here. I just finished removing the wrap from my pipe that was under my cover. Here’s how that looked when I did it.
Composite material Tail Metal Rectangle Terrestrial animal

All the black was gone and it was almost completely white. Anyway, I didn’t want it to eventually rust out my pipe, which is a surprisingly heavy gage. So that’s gone and the heat shield is riveted onto the pipe and ready to install.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Hoping to get the Speedstar reinstalled for a test ride to work tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Alrighty. It’s 10:10 pm here. I just finished removing the wrap from my pipe that was under my cover. Here’s how that looked when I did it.
View attachment 258113
All the black was gone and it was almost completely white. Anyway, I didn’t want it to eventually rust out my pipe, which is a surprisingly heavy gage. So that’s gone and the heat shield is riveted onto the pipe and ready to install.
View attachment 258114
Hoping to get the Speedstar reinstalled for a test ride to work tomorrow.
10:45 pm. Stock off. Not bad. Here comes the hard part.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
10:45 pm. Stock off. Not bad. Here comes the hard part.
View attachment 258115
There she is, almost all buttoned up. Missing one bolt on rear flange but my daughter was asking for me to go to bed so that’s left for the morning. I wrapped at 11:30 so that wasn’t too bad.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Edit: 8:00 am. Got that last screw in. Pretty sure the bottom half of my rear bolt receptacle is cross-threaded (the little elbow behind the cylinder). The first half threads in nicely, but after about 5 turns, it just gets SUPER hard to the point I'm worried I'm going to snap my bolt. Regardless, all bolts are in and tight and I'm feeling more confident than ever about how she turned out.

·
Registered
Looking
108 Posts
Tquinlan sorry to see you go so soon.
Bike was too hard on the back. Wasn’t great on the highway either. If I lived in the city I could see myself keeping it. Looking at getting a adv touring bike.

I’d like commend/thank everyone on this site. This is bar none the best community forum I’ve been on. You guys should be proud of what you’ve built here. The resources and the help you guys provide is second to none!

8421 - 8440 of 8442 Posts