RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably seems like a stupid question, but I'm constantly seeing this term used time and time again on this site. From the search I did I figured it has something to do with the air intake system and a velocity stack? Can somebody clear this up for me?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Churchkey, baron, and Patrick racing all make a different version of a Big Air Kit. I dont know what the V stands forin the ChurchKey V-Bak (maybe velocity).

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
From what I understand, the barons, and the PR kits are just a filter system. Churchkey built his design specifically for the Warrior. he included the Velocity stack. His is a VelocityBigAirKit.....

Just a guess, dont know for sure but I think thats how it goes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it's starting to make some sense now. So it's basically like a cold air intake that you'd install in a car. Another stupid question. Where is the stock air filter located? I haven't had the bike apart far enough to know. I always assumed it was under the right side engine cover.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Scoper50 said:
Ok, it's starting to make some sense now. So it's basically like a cold air intake that you'd install in a car. Another stupid question. Where is the stock air filter located? I haven't had the bike apart far enough to know. I always assumed it was under the right side engine cover.

There is one under the right side engine cover and one under the fuel tank. The churchkey kit is built more for performance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This has been debated a lot. The Baron's bak filters go directly on the throttle bodies. The Patric Racing bak has a raised velocity stack then filters. The VBAK has a curved velocity stack then filters. Most people have Patric Racing or VBAK. It is said that the Patric racing gives more hp then the VBAK, but the VBAK gives more tq. When you add a bak you are eliminating the rights side filter and turning the one stock filter (under the tank)for the throttle bodies into two high flow air filters, one on each throttle body.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
V-BAK vs PR-BAK" the Seat-of-Pants Dyno Reports

I hadn't heard before that the PR BAK produces more HP than the VBAK.

The PR BAK was developed forPR's modified 122ci normally-asiprated drag race engine with modified drag exhaust. It works fine on the 102ci 108ci 110ci engines but its flow pattern is engineered for the 122ci race motor.

The VBAK was developed forthe stock injection system on 102ci108ci 110ci and 122ci engines with or without aftermarket exhaust system, and due to the shape and length itdevelops an intake air pattern advantage on all the motors.

I don't want to say its cast in stone, but in my old mind I believe I've read more seat-of-pants dyno posts indicating Woody's VBAK develops more HP and TQ on 102ci 108ci and 110ci engines with free-flowing exhaust mods. Bets are they are so close it will take heads-up dyno work to tell the difference. Plus IMO Woody's kit looks a lot nastier bolted-on.

Okay chime in and let the "games" begin!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: V-BAK vs PR-BAK" the Seat-of-Pants Dyno Reports

Its just what I remember reading on the site. I have the pr bak. And Ilove it. Love the sound. I dont think the numbers are much different. But I believe that they are some what.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts

Sorry for the delay, here's the only semi-definitive post on the comparison and while it starts out looking good for PR (who did the test) it becomes clear the VBAK is producing more HP and TQ, but then the conversation runs back to the middle of the road (a tie). From this conversation, which includes dyno charts with the PC3 tuned to the PR BAK, you can see the results are effectively a tie when you consider all factors -including that the PC3 was (accidently) not re-tuned when the VBAK kit was installed. A search will yield many members with dyno results somewhat above these results, but very few were done back-to-back on the same dyno, and this may be the only one on an SAE dyno (which provdies more repeat-able results).

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/9162.aspx

I added this to Popular Mods under Intake because this conversation hasreminded me how important this factor can be

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

You forgot one other VBAK. Yamaha makes velocity stacks listed under the speedstar name. I have them and love them. The only issue with them is that you will have to make your own filters as they don't come with filters. Modified Uni filters work fine with a couple of hose clamps. Biggest change in having any VBAK is that the bike will pull harder and faster to rev limiter. Also, if you install a VBAK, expect to hear a lot of new and wonderful noises coming from under your tank. My favorite sounds like the secondaries on a 4-barrel carb opening up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts