RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sampson Streetsweepers cracked, so I gotta replace em. There's a huge hole now in the middle of where the bracket is. I'll post them some day soon so you can see, but that's not what this post is about. I am getting jug hugger pipes to replace my sucky cheapo sampson pipes. Because these pipes are so low, I am considering on getting an Air ride system so i can rise it up when i go on my canyon rides to prevent from sraping on the hard turns, but so I can alsoget the looks of the lowered bike when I'm cruising around town and when it's parked.

I was considering the tricky air system since it's the cheapest I can find on phatsperformance for about $700 with the rswarrior discount, but I was reading some old posts saying that the tricky air ride system is really bumpy. And it's worth it to spend more on a better system. What air ride systems are out for the warrior other than tricky air, and what do you have on your bike? Can you adjust the tension on the air ride system? Give me your opinions on Tricky air and any other brands that you guys have. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am wondering the same thing as well. The only alternatives that I have been able to find are here:http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/products/productDetails.asp?groupId=135and then theres this one, dont know what brand it is but Pacific Coast Star sells it: http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/rs_warrior_lowering_kit.htm

All these kits look so similar, and I dont know enough about whats inside each of them that would make one better than the other. Anybody got any info on their air ride systems?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The one PCS sells is a Bigboar Air ride. It is the one I am looking into. They have a two switch system inwhich you pump the cylinder up like normal. Then there is a second switch that puts air on the back side of the piston as well. This seems like it would alow to really dial in your ride. They are expensive though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I asked the same question before. If you like canyon riding and twisties, you might want to go with an air ride system with dampening capabilities. I was looking at Armott system because it has dampening capabilities unlike other brands which is simply air bags in a can.

Has anyone used the system?

·
Registered
551 Posts
There must be somebody on here that has this system. I had the same understanding as well from what I have read. The Arnott system seems superior by the details on their website. Question is, are they just good at "sounding" like they are better or are they really better?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Personally, I have the Tricky Air and never had a problem with. However, Arnott looks interesting. I would like to hear from Alan or other savvy people what they think about the combination of valving and high pressure nitrogen gas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Arnott and Pacific Coast Star. Tricky Air is closed on Mondays. But I got a hold of Corey in the motorcycle department for Arnott. He said the other companies like Tricky Air and Pacific Coast Star (he mentioned another company that I've not heard of, can't remember the name. I think he said cool air or something) don't have a shock absorber like theirs to dampen the shock and prevent it from bottoming out. Arnott includes an air bag and a shock absorber in addition to the air cylinder to dampen the bumps and make for a smoother ride. He said it may be bumpier than stock ride, but that's with any air ride system. It will feel different. He also said, unless I misunderstood him cuz i wasn't very clear on this, it will raise up to stock height and down 2 & 1/4 inch. That seems like not that much.

Pacific Coast Star was claiming they have an additional shock system on their EQ version which is shown on their website. They have two different versions, but it looks like it's just one air cylinder to lift it up and then another to stiffin up the suspension. Theirs is a lot more expensive too. But theirs goes about an inch above stock down to rigid ride if it's all the way down (Makes me think about bottoming out). So their range seems to be a little bit more. I don't know how big as far as inches, but at least he thought that it goes about an inch higher than stock if you want.

From the sales pitches I've heard from both of them, it seems like the Arnott system is best, but I don't know for sure. I'm not an expert. What do you guys think?

Arnott: 1-877-900-0247 (9000 Air)

PCS: 1-888-618-9555

Tricky Air: 1-866-922-3533

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
From what I understand on the Big Boar air ride that PCS sells, The more expensive model has two switches. One pumps up the cylinder just like tricky air. The second switch can then be used to pump air behind the piston in the cylinder in order to put back pressure on it. Apperently this gets rid of that pogo stick effect expereinced when you hit a bump riding on tricky air. I don't have any experience with the system but it sounds like the best of both worlds to me. It is more expensive, but if it provides a better ride I would rather save my pennies a little longer and get a dampened ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tricky air seems pretty basic, but it is cheeper and has a lifetime
warranty. But it seams worth it to get a system with dampaning
capabilities from what I've read.

I've been seriously considering one of the two following. I don't really understand the difference between the PCS EQ air shock system and Arnotts air suspension system. I'm leaning more toward the arnott system, cause it's not as expensive and they have a 5 year warranty compared to PCS 1 year warranty. Plus it seams just as advanced. Take a look at their description for both PCS and Arnott:

PCS:

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/rs_warrior_lowering_kit.htm

Arnott:

http://www.customdynamics.com/arnott_air_ride.htm#Yamaha®_Motorcycles_

Arnott claims in their description that theirs is not an air cylindar, "but an actual air spring, complete with
compression and rebound capability." Says it comes with a Bilstein Monotube Shock and a Goodyear Air Spring. Not quite sure how that is different than a air tube like tricky air has. They all look like tubes that hold air to me. Why is PCS so much more expensive than Arnott? PCS labeled their product as an air shock. PCS gives you two switches to control your height and rebound. Arnott says it has capabilities to adjust both height and rbound as well but only has one switch. PCS seams more complicated but I don't see how the result is any different than Arnott. I need an expert opinion or at least from someone that knows more than I do about these suspension systems. I just don't get how these are so different.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
Tricky air seems pretty basic, but it is cheeper and has a lifetime
warranty. But it seams worth it to get a system with dampaning
capabilities from what I've read.

I've been seriously considering one of the two following. I don't really understand the difference between the PCS EQ air shock system and Arnotts air suspension system. I'm leaning more toward the arnott system, cause it's not as expensive and they have a 5 year warranty compared to PCS 1 year warranty. Plus it seams just as advanced. Take a look at their description for both PCS and Arnott:

PCS:

RS Warrior Lowering Kits and Suspension parts (509)466-3410

Arnott:

Arnott Motorcycle Air Ride

Arnott claims in their description that theirs is not an air cylindar, "but an actual air spring, complete with
compression and rebound capability." Says it comes with a Bilstein Monotube Shock and a Goodyear Air Spring. Not quite sure how that is different than a air tube like tricky air has. They all look like tubes that hold air to me. Why is PCS so much more expensive than Arnott? PCS labeled their product as an air shock. PCS gives you two switches to control your height and rebound. Arnott says it has capabilities to adjust both height and rbound as well but only has one switch. PCS seams more complicated but I don't see how the result is any different than Arnott. I need an expert opinion or at least from someone that knows more than I do about these suspension systems. I just don't get how these are so different.
BUMP - Whats the answer to all this "which air shock is best" ???

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I looked into this awhile back. I cant remember if the Arnott was the sysem I was looking for or not. I do remember that one brand had an actual shock, the tricky definately does not. Which ever system I wanted was no longer produced...

·
Premium Member
7,812 Posts
I called Arnott and Pacific Coast Star. Tricky Air is closed on Mondays. But I got a hold of Corey in the motorcycle department for Arnott. He said the other companies like Tricky Air and Pacific Coast Star (he mentioned another company that I've not heard of, can't remember the name. I think he said cool air or something) don't have a shock absorber like theirs to dampen the shock and prevent it from bottoming out. Arnott includes an air bag and a shock absorber in addition to the air cylinder to dampen the bumps and make for a smoother ride. He said it may be bumpier than stock ride, but that's with any air ride system. It will feel different. He also said, unless I misunderstood him cuz i wasn't very clear on this, it will raise up to stock height and down 2 & 1/4 inch. That seems like not that much.

Pacific Coast Star was claiming they have an additional shock system on their EQ version which is shown on their website. They have two different versions, but it looks like it's just one air cylinder to lift it up and then another to stiffin up the suspension. Theirs is a lot more expensive too. But theirs goes about an inch above stock down to rigid ride if it's all the way down (Makes me think about bottoming out). So their range seems to be a little bit more. I don't know how big as far as inches, but at least he thought that it goes about an inch higher than stock if you want.

From the sales pitches I've heard from both of them, it seems like the Arnott system is best, but I don't know for sure. I'm not an expert. What do you guys think?

Arnott: 1-877-900-0247 (9000 Air)

PCS: 1-888-618-9555

Tricky Air: 1-866-922-3533
I contacted Arnott in the past and they told me they did not make a system for the Warrior

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/91-...0445-rs-warrior-air-ride-pcs.html#post2310405

I have been reading this thread and waiting for some time to type a reply. Here it is and i hope it helps.

I have a tricky air system on the warrior and a Platinum Air bleed and feed system on my Hayabusa. The platinum air system is very similar to the more expensive PCS (Airfx) system in that it supplies air to both sides of the cylinder. One switch lifts the bike by supplying air to the bottom of the cylinder (oriented in the vertical position) and the other switch provides the rebound control because it presses the bike back down by supplying air to the top of the cylinder. This creates positive pressure on both sides only the cylinder. I can adjust the rebound while riding depending on the road conditions.

The tricky system raises the bike by providing air to the front of the cylinder (because it is oriented in the horizontal position). It does have rebound control, but it in not adjustable on the fly. It is a "set it and forget it" type of set up. It is adjusted by bleeder valve located on the cylinder itself. By controlling how fast the air in the unpressurized side of the cylinder enters and exits that chamber, it controls the rebound.

I looked at the PCS kits as well and decided to go with the Tricky system for a few different reasons:

1. Warranty: tricky is lifetime on the cylinder and it's rebuildable. PCS is 1 year if I remember correctly.

2. Space: my platinum air system has a larger compressor and a separate full set of 4 valves to provide and control air flow to the cylinder. It also has 2 switches that have to go somewhere. The tricky system has a smaller compressor and the valve is attached to it. It was a tight squeeze, but I was able to get it all under the seat and install the single switch in a very well hidden location.

3. Type of riding: with all due respect, the Warrior is not a sport bike. I ride my Busa very hard at times. It is not at all uncommon for me to see speeds of 160+mph. The Warrior isn't made for that kind of aggressive riding. It's got tons of torque, but it's 70-80hp isn't even close to my hayabusa's 250 plus (It's got a built motor and nitrous). For the speeds and type of riding the Warrior is capable of, the tricky system works perfectly.

A couple of notes as well. My Hayabusa is stretched 16in over stock and has a 310 rear tire. It is lowered front and rear, and used a jack shaft set up for the chain drive. So from a tire size perspective its similar to what you are doing, but that's not really that important. What is important is the stretch. If you are not extensively extending the swingarm (thereby increasing the force of the lever arm) then the tricky system will be perfect for you. At 16 over, the swingarm works like a breaker bar and applies much more force on the cylinder. For every action....there's a reaction, and so the same force is applied in the other direction creating a wicked bounce without that positive pressure on both sides of the cylinder. You will not have that problem.

I've also wired and plumbed my Hayabusa platinum air system for instant up using a 1lb nitrous bottle, a pressure switch, and a relay; and setup the tricky air system on the warrior with a remote control (not trickys expensive one!), so if you need any help let me know.

I'm sure I have confused someone (because I often confuse myself), so if you have any questions just ask away and I'll do the best I can to answer.

Again...hope this helps.

Thanks,
Maurice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts