RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting started at cutting and welding. Liking it so far and want to try something.

Figure I want to make a set of side plates to mount a b**ch bar and I'm just trying to learn. Anyone who knows more than me about this (almost anybody), let me know what grade and guage/ thickness of steel I ought to start with for the side plates. I want to mount them between the fender stays and the fender, extending up enough so I can drill some holes, and then sort out how to cut and mount the *** bar, so it flows. I figure whatever I do I'll grind, polish and get chromed (unless I really f**k it up). I'm totally new at this, so any advice is appreciated.

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
The available thickness to slip in the gap between the painted fender and the fender stays leaves the steel too thin, making it flex when weight is applied to the bar pad by the passenger. To overcome this the steel needs to be a bit taller so you can put a bend or flare in it, for rigidity. Don't quote me but didn't a guy use 1/8" A36 mild steel plate for side plates, and they scratched the paint? Plus the vertical sides of the rear fender are actually not square, they flare wider (at the bottom?) so the flat plates need to take this into consideration. Did you do a search for something like "backrest" - maybe you already read that stuff. I can't remember who it was, maybe Rat who did this last? Check SEATS in Popular Mods too, there's a backrest section.

Sorry I can't be more help. BTW I've been hoping to learn to weld but life's too busy, so I say go for itand Ilook forward to seeing the work!

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Before you start a project you need to have some basic metal working skills. Stop at a welding supply & get a how to manual. The manual will have basic information, most have details on types of metals & what is required to weld them together.

"Cut & weld" is a generic term. How are you going to cut the pieces & what type of welding do you intend to "glue" the pieces together with?

If you plan to cuta template out with a gas torch or a plasma cutter you will have to invest a good deal of time finishing the edges with a grinder.

Gas welding is a PITA on anything over 1/8 thickness (.125) + you will probably warp a long flat like one that is needed for side support for a backrest due to the amount of heat that is required.

Stick welding is fast & will glue things together very well but you need to be good at it to run a nice bead & not have your weld look like bird chid.

Mig (wire feed) is the easiest to learn but do not make the mistake of buying a cheap 110v mig machine. Buy a good machine & later in life you can sell it for at least 50% or more of what you paid for it.

If you get good at welding you can up grade to a tig for aluminum, stainless, pencil line welds on exhaust tubing etc.

Get some metal scrap pieces & practice welding before you start a project. You need to learn heat ranges, penetration, cold edges etc. IE what to look for & how to adjust for a good weld.

Suggest 3/16 hot rolled for you back rest side supports.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts