RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get orders to one of several bases. The two that I prefer are Buckley in Denver, or Patrick in Cocoa Beach, FL. I have both of them on my "dream sheet" but can't decide which I would prefer.

My question to all of you, would you rather be in a place where you can ride for only a few months a year, but be in/near some of the most beautiful scenery and mountains in the states, or be in a place where you can ride year around but it's flat with mostly straight, flat roads and a bunch of people on the roads?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Are you a big fan of the winter? Me I would , take Denver , Snow Ski and snow mobile in the winter. And as soon as the MUD season is over. Then it's bike time . Only draw back is that From say march or april till oct or nov. it is Bikini Time!
And that would be very nice too.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well, I'll tell you what I like...

I prefer a cold dry atmosphere for riding. And I think the bike does too. I live in the Phoenix area. Some might think that I get to ride all year, but I don't. Maybe I'm a wimp but it's just way too hot during the Summer, and I imagine it might be in Florida too.This might depend on how much you enjoyriding in very hot weather. I wear my full-face helmet, jacket, and gloves on every ride. Winter is gorgeous, of course.

I'm also very interested in moving to the Denver area. Went and spent some time there last month. Evergreen is beautiful -- 30 mins West, and up the mountain, from Denver.

I'm hoping that I get to ride in the Denver area, myself. Those winding mountain roads, in cool weather, with beautiful scenery is what appeals to me...

Have a good one.

·
Administrator
29,680 Posts
If you're looking at it 100% from a riding POV then:

Denver haseight+ months of riding and about five months of skiing (give or take).

Cocoa Beach has 12 months of riding 24 hours a day except a few breezy days you'll be boarded up or out of town.

Do you ski?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Go to Denver and buy a Yamaha RXWarrior. Winter is great. I love riding my bike, but there is nothing in the world like missing it throughout the winter and then getting it out on the first warm spring day. Variety keeps it exciting. I do love Florida though--Key Largo Baby!!!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'd probably take Florida again. I had a pretty good time there as a young millitary man... I don't know what the bar scene and girls are like in Denver and I found snow to be overrated when I was stationed in Chicago. I do like the cold and the mountains would be nice but still... Florida would be my pick.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I would take FL. I lived in Orlando for 11 years and was glad to move back up to GA. Coaca/Merritt Island area is nice and the traffic is not too bad. You can always ride down A1A next to the ocean if you want to or go inland for a change. Winter in FL would be considered spring in most places and it almost never get down to freezing. The worst time to ride in FL is during lovebug season (about 2 weeks twice a year). I also think you cost of living would be cheaper in FL since you only have to cool down the house and fresh seafood is always just a surf rod cast away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ride all year. when i lived where it snows i wouldn't have considered getting a motorcycle. scenery isn't too important to me as is just getting time out to ride

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
colorado would definately be my pick..hunting, fishing, skiing, you can always pick up a good sled and mod the heck out of it and ride all year...If you are "from" Lousiana.. you may want to stick to the south though... A lot of yankees like the weather down south, but not it's not too often the southerners head up to the snow...thats my two cents.. If you go to Colorado, I'd like to visit, if you go to Florida, you can come visit me.. either way, I'll buy the beer..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I love the hills and long sweepers in PA but can't stand putting the bike away from mid Nov to mid April. Give me CALI!!!! The Pacific Coast Highway! And what seems like never ending sunny days.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have lived it more places than I care to remember...my most FAVORITE is FLORIDA! Went to Patrick AFB a couple times when i was in the Air Force.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A place with 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.

All kidding aside, Iwouldrather be in a place where you can ride for only a few months a year.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you've ever riden in Colorado I think you might agree it has the all time most scenic roads. I would hate to not ride all year but Colorado is my pick. Whatcha mean you don't ride all year round and you live in Chandler? Come onMAN UP !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live about 10 miles from Buckley in Colorado. Last year I was able to ride my motorcycle at least one day every month of the year. Colorado has 300 days of sunshine per year. When it does snow, the longest it sticks around (in Denver, anyway) is about 3 days. It's always dry (low humidity all year). Great twisties up in the mountains. I was a Navy Brat and grew up all over the country (always by a coast) and 3 years in Italy as a teenager. I spent 6 years in the Navy myself after college. Two years of my Navy time was in Pensacola, FL, most of the rest was in Japan. I live in the Denver Area of Colorado ON PURPOSE! I chose it after lots of experience elsewhere. I've lived here for 8 years now, and I'm never leaving. If I could've been stationed here (not much chance in the Navy) I would've stayed in. Colorado FTW!

YMMV

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 for Denver. Cool weather is much better than 'blow dryer' hot riding in traffic w/ blue hair drivers. Also too much of one thing gets old. When I get bored, there is always Atv's and snowmobiles.
you can always do Daytona for bike week or Octoberfest.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I agree...with pretty much all of you. Both places have their benefits, and I just can't decide. I guess that's a good thing because which ever place they send me, I'll be happy.

I do ski, and I have lived in Denver when I was a kid. I don't remember too much of it, but it was beautiful. I am also a brewer, so Denver would fit right in with that. I am also a beach bum, and would love to be so close to Disney (as I am about to start a family) so that would be great too.

I have lived in MI (a lot of places), Atlanta and Savannah, GA, Denver, and Scottsdale, AZ. I have been stationed in Vandenberg (central Cali coast) I would kill to go back there, Fairchild (Spokane, WA) also a great place I would love to go back to, and now at Barksdale (Shreveport, LA). It gets disgustingly hot and humid here in the summer (like riding in a blast furnace)...much worse than FL, so I'm not worried about that. It was cold in Spokane, so I'm not worried about that.

All in all, I am very excited whereever I go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts