RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I'm looking for my next mod and I would like to remove that ugly air cleaner. Through anyone's own experience, what should I go with.....a Hypercharger or bak/velocity stack? Is one better than the other? Any info would help

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
You'll find plent of disagreement of that subject. Some feel the air bax help the bike breath, others think it's restrictive. Personaly I belong to the last camp. Looks wise I think that the BAK wins hands down. It gets rid of and moves so much stuff that it really ends up cleaning up the look of the bike. And a velocity stack on the side looks great. Check out my bike in the gallery, I really have to post new pics.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I did the Bak, faux velocity stack mod. BUT..you will end up having to add a PC3 to control the air/fuel mix and then you will strugle with the correct maps and with altitude and all that to get the bike running perfect.

I think if you really want to remove the ugly air cleaner then you can take it off and use two small k&n filters right in its place to see if you like it. OR use the thunder round aircleaner (which has gotten some really good reviews from other members if I remember correctly).

Up to you. But be doing the BAK you will want the kit from Barons, the AIS stop offs, a PC3. Plus ALOT of work. Relocating the coils is a pain in the ass as is puting on the BAK kit.

Just so you know. I was never completely happy with my BAK and PC3 setup. When I do it over again I might just keep the airbox under the tank and just replace the outer box on the right hand side. It is easier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cult, what do you think of adding the BAK and not the PCIII? I have adjusted the Co numbers and my bike run excellent, good plug read as well. No need to dick around with a PCIII, for small mods like pipes and air filters...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just did the mod you suggested by cult. I added two K&N 2290's and glued them to some 1 1/2" PVC elbows. I got the idea from rydfree. He has the needed instructions here:http://www.fantasiesonwheels.com/images/starsoveralaba/Modifications/airmod.htm
I just glued them on last night, so today will be the test ride. Later I will write up what I did and what I learned in the Mod's section.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or you could just remove that ugly air cleaner and throw a K&N RU-2790 filter on the side. I got this idea from Wannab. Easier than the BAK and looks pretty cool. http://sublimediversion.com/bike/new_side.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ezas

I got the idea from rydfree. He has the needed instructions here:http://www.fantasiesonwheels.com/images/starsoveralaba/Modifications/airmod.htm

Link doesn't work.[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif]

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Site must be down, cuz I can't get to it from my favorites menu, and I know it works from there. Here is a link to rydfree's gallery picture.http://www.rswarrior.com/members/memberdetails.asp?B_ID=11&handle=rydfree

·
Registered
872 Posts
Torqueman, thats pretty cool about adjusting the CO with the stock ECU. It was my impression that it would not only be a huge hassel to do that you would have to make multiple adjustments to get it right and after each adjustment you would have to do a plug check after a 100 mile ride...maybe you got lucky, but for the most of us that is way too much hassle. HOWEVER, being on the worse than cheap budget that I am on now...I might consider doing the stock ECU mod in preference over the PC3.

I think I would do that Wannab mod and leave it at that. Easy...cheap...looks good...3 really good qualities.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
It's mainly a matter of personal choice. the reason i choose the diy BAK is 1)the performance gain 2)cleaned up the right side of bike 3)it makes it way easier to work on bike, like change plugs, sync throttle bodie, change cables. It's a pain to do all the work but once done it is nice. To me reason #3 is what made me decide on the BAK. If I had to take the airbox off to change the plugs I only wanted to do it once. and removing the airbox was the hardest part of installing the BAK IMO. Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts