RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need your help with a detail on my bike.
I use a 10mm wrench on no. 18 bolts you see on the picture:

I need to order few Button Head Allen chrome screws to replace 2 no. 18 bolts and fix better the bib I have installed.
What size do I need to order? 4mm x 0.70 pace x 20mm lenght sounds right to you? I'm guessing right now, I don't have any tools to measure the pace...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Floren

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
I am just guessing but,in my manual it says a 10mm nut goes on a 6mm screw.I think it is 6mm.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I was trying to help, but when I came back to post I saw that Alan just popped out of bed and off the top of his head, BAM bolt diameter and pitch. He's da man!!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I really apreciate it.

Alan, how did find out originally about the size? Is it written somewhere or you have a tool to measure the pitch, etc.?
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I want to learn and avoid any future posts, if I can do it myself.
I think the stock length for this bolt is 16mm... If you know, please let me know.

Floren

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
TECK said:
Thanks a lot guys, I really apreciate it.

Alan, how did find out originally about the size? Is it written somewhere or you have a tool to measure the pitch, etc.?
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I want to learn and avoid any future posts, if I can do it myself.
I think the stock length for this bolt is 16mm... If you know, please let me know.

Floren
The stock length is 16mm. I bought mine from www.scootworks.com I ordered either 10 or 15mm length as 16 was not available...good service and prices, plus ship USPS to Canada as well. I think those bolts were about $2 each. I ordered a bunch of washers, locknuts and other items as well.

Dan

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
To measure a metric bolt all you need is a metric ruler with mm marks.

The size of the bolt is its diameter. Simply measure the thickness of the bolt with the ruler. The length is again measured with the same rulerfrom the bottom of the bolt head (The flat part that will butte up against whatever is being fastened) to the tip of the bolt. The pitch is how far away the threads are from each other. You measure tip to tip again witht he same ruler. 1.25 means its 1.25mm from the tip of one thread to the next. I have only ever seen 1.00,1.25 and 1.5. From what I have found in the last week or 2, almost every bolt ive come acrosson the Warrior is 1.25 thread pitch.

If you dont own a metric ruler you can print one here.
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/

·
Registered
692 Posts
TECK,

Thefancy answer...

If the nut is spec'd at M8-1.25 x 16 then it breaks down as

M8 = major diameter of the fastener - basically if you take a caliper or steel ruleand measure the diameter of the threads (peak to peak) you should get a value very close to 8 (but typically a little under i.e. 7.9...)

1.25 = thread pitch - distance in MM from 1 peak to the next (the right tool for thisis a thread pitch gauge, but you can guestimate with calipers, and can typically visually see the dif. between fine a fine and a coarse thread fastener)

16 = length of fastener in MM

As far as I know there are general guidelines that state for a certain sized fastener, the head size (or tool size) should be of a certain value, for example a bolt with an M8 thread should use a 13mm sized wrench. Here's a link to a table

http://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Bolts/Metric-Bolt-Head-Size.aspx

Machinery's handbook would be the definitive guide, but at close to $200, google is the cost effective alternative.

Also assuming Alan is right about the bolt being M8, and your assesment that it takes a 10mm socket, you can see how going by tool size doesn't always get you the right bolt spec, since a 10mm bolt head should yeild you a M6 threaded fastener.

The easy answer...

Take bolt or nut to hardware store, play guess and check with fasterners til you find what fits a nut or bolt thatfits(this will give you the size) then you can confidently order knowing you've got the right size

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
TECK said:
Thanks a lot Dan. You can get the 16mm one at Air Fastner.
I will order the chromed one (scroll down):

Button Head Allen Screws - Chrome
8MM x 1.25P x 16MM $1.35 each
Air Fastener does have cheaper prices, but have you figured in
their shipping costs? They use UPS and that means a brokerage fee on
top of the price of the item and shipping costs, not to mention GST
when the package arrives, and I'm just guessing that their initial
costs for shipping will be high to Canada. If you are placing a large
order, it might balance out, but if you only want a few items, they
really bend you over a barrel. Much like chromebolt.com when I wanted 6
bolts and the shipping costs were $21US. Not cost effective in my
books!!!I just did a test order from chromebolt.com for 6pcs. M10 x 1.5 x 80mm bolts and found I was going to be charged $67.85 to ship to me in Alberta!

Just to save a fellow member a few bux!Dan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not completely positive about this...but I'm pretty sure, with Yamaha part numbers, for bolt sizes you can just look at the 2nd set of numbers of the part #. So, the part in question is:

BOLT,SMALL FLANGE
95027-08016-00

08016 = 8mm X 16mm

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SuicideD_45 said:
Air Fastener does have cheaper prices, but have you figured in
their shipping costs? They use UPS and that means a brokerage fee on
top of the price of the item and shipping costs, not to mention GST
when the package arrives, and I'm just guessing that their initial
costs for shipping will be high to Canada. If you are placing a large
order, it might balance out, but if you only want a few items, they
really bend you over a barrel. Much like chromebolt.com when I wanted 6
bolts and the shipping costs were $21US. Not cost effective in my
books!!!I just did a test order from chromebolt.com for 6pcs. M10 x 1.5 x 80mm bolts and found I was going to be charged $67.85 to ship to me in Alberta!

Just to save a fellow member a few bux!Dan
I already ordered from them, when I made Alan's front signals mod. They shipped with USPS, it costed my $3.25 to Montreal.
I talked to Ray at (626) 331-6155 (placed the order over phone, not website) and asked him specifically to ship with USPS. "No problem, we will do that."

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vietz2 said:
Not completely positive about this...but I'm pretty sure, with Yamaha part numbers, for bolt sizes you can just look at the 2nd set of numbers of the part #. So, the part in question is:

BOLT,SMALL FLANGE
95027-08016-00

08016 = 8mm X 16mm
That is some cool information. Can anyone confirm this? It will be so much easier from now on...

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
When I needed a bolt for my foot peg assembly this was the part number listed on Yamaha's site:90111-10014-00

When I went online to MSSS i saw this:
BUTTONHEAD BOLT
92014-10050-00 (replaces 90111-10014-00)

I ended up using a 10mm x 40mm button head with 1.25pitch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i needed a longer bolt for the tach housing both sites showed:
SCREW
90149-06105-00

When I measured the stock boltit was 6mm x 18mm with 1.25pitch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So unless someone else can measure some of their bolts I think we can rely on the size of the bolt but not the length from the part number.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah, it seems to only work with just standard bolts. If it's special in any way, then the "system" doesn't work. But, even now, I just browsed a few fiche pages and this system doesn't seem to work in all cases (but most appeared to be accurate). So, I apologize for the mis-information...

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
How to Identify Yamaha Fastener P/N's for Diameter & Length Etc - Yamaha P/N Configuration

Vietz2 said:

BOLT,SMALL FLANGE
95027-08016-00

08016 = 8mm X 16mm

EDITED: The website I got this from: http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2670
Vietz2 you're the man
... you should get an award for this contribution
.. unfortunately it doesn'tidentify the thread pitch butnonetheless, it's a greattool for all of us....Thanks

NorCalWarrior ... that's some good basicinfo you posted for those challenged by screws/bolt specs
... might i add that the fastener length is always measured under the head except for flat head screws and shoulder bolts. Many of the Yamaha button head fasteners are proprietary so DIN standardsand the Machinery Handbook is useless
... Check out the hyperlinks to Fastener Fable 1 & 2 if interested.

Vietz2 ...here's an exampleconfirming your response as well as my comment of not identifying special thread pitch. This is the proprietary button hd screw that holdsthe peg support bracket to the frame:

Taken from an earlier post: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/105574/884967.aspx#884967

AlanH said:
jimmy2 said:
I dont know what they are made of but dull good drill bits very quickly. Whoever designed those large bolts with such a small allen size needs to be fired.
Taken from an old topic: Fastener Fable-1& Fastener Fable-2

This specific Yamaha button hd scr uses a std 6mm hex key

M10-1.25p x 50mm Long Yamaha Button Head Steel. This will be very tough to get @ 50mm unless you order from dealer (2 of 92014-10050-00 - BOLT, BUTTON HEAD @ $1.90ea.)

I would suggest usinganti-seize on these bolts andtorque to factory spec of 35 ft~lbs max.Thelocation of these bolts make them vunerable to corrosion & road trash because they are th'd through the frame and exposed on the inside. I always clean the thd's before reassembly.... Just my .02

·
Registered
406 Posts
AlanH - you're a friggin' GOD on this site. WOW! I'm speechless...thanks man.

I did a little further investigation on this and found this on a Virago website:

And now, a real secret: the system for hardware.

The first set of digits identifies what kind of hardware:
98501 = panhead screw
91311 = allen head screw
92990 = lockwasher
etc.

The next set of digits give the dimensions - 05010 is 5mm diameter, 10mm in length.

For example, want to replace the crankcase cover screws with stainless steel screws? You need 3 6x20mm (91311-06020), 9 6x25 (91311-06025), 8 6x30 (91311-06030) and 4 6x40mm (91311-06040). And don't forget to use antiseize.

With these codes, you can replace fasteners not covered in the usual kits of chrome/stainless fasteners.

Don't forget that some fasteners are high tensile strength, so you shouldn't substitute a weaker fastener that's the same dimensionally.

The website I got this from: http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2670

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
I think we were all doing the same thing at the same time! The oem button head bolts in the tach head are M6x20 and 1.00 pitch (corrected by ArizonaWarrior) and their Part# is 90149-06302-00 (2002-2005) or 90149-06105-00 (2006-2008). The "06" part works. Like you said, I bet this system works a lot with the basic bolts though. I'm going to pay more attention!!

Vietz2 said:

BOLT,SMALL FLANGE
95027-08016-00

08016 = 8mm X 16mm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts