RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the air scoops on both sides directing air towards my engine I live in a Dusty area throttle bodies and top of the engine filthy.was thinking carburetor cleaner but I'm worried that it'll mess up the engine paint do you guys have any suggestions?...
I wanna spray everything down ....so that parts are clean so that I can clearly see components and look for aged or damaged parts or missing screws ....

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
No carb cleaner.

Remove filters and velocity tubes, cover intakes and dry breaks and any open hose against water entry.

Get Dawn dish soap, light mix in a bucket. Use old clean soft rags dipped in dawn/water for first clean.

Reassemble. Clean your air filters.

Get some Pig-Snot or Muc-Off motorcycle cleaner. Both are great. Follow directions.

Spray conventional WD40 on all cable ends and into dry breaks. Spay WD40 on rag and wipe inside of the air filter mount area (not on the filter material) then install. Also do same for the rubber attached to the intakes. Very light coating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@arizonawarrior
Awesome so this is a old picture I took but I did service the filters with a k&n recharge kit ...
I was curious tho when I re oiled the filters I also re oiled the breather filter but it didn't look like it had any oil on it before I'm not sure if it's going to affect it or not it does look to be like a k&n but I don't see a k&n marking on the breather filter the filters on the velocity tubes do have k&n markings..
What do you think Arizona also on this air kit I see that the last owner or tech left the rear cylinder with the normal black hose that goes out to the back brake reservoir he didn't put a breather filter on it.
Is that because it won't make a difference or just a save money on parts deal

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
From the picture I cannot determine if the small round filter that appears to be attached to the Linear Control Valve (LCV) is for sure a regular paper filter but it looks like it might be. If a regular paper filter is oiled then it passes little air. This would mean that on cold starts your bike cannot get the needed extra air for those few seconds.

I hesitate to try answering your rear brake hose question without pictures to be sure I understand. Sorry :)

However, if you mean the rear cylinder valve cover breather hose is running back towards the rear wheel into the space above the rear shock absorber and it does not have a filter on it, imo don't worry about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhhh I just learned something new about my bike ....
Since I'm not the original owner ..next time I take the tank off I will check the filter for k&n marking again and since I oiled maybe I should look for a replacement?
As for that hose near the rear brake reservoir yes it leads to the back reservoir yes that is the correct hose they just routed it wrong I guess I had it kind pointed at my rear wheel and it spits out a residue possibly water or black stuff after a ride I have to do a wipe on my rear wheel .so maybe I'll try to relocate that hose better .......

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
Its important to know the special steps required to check the motor oil level. Its a semi-dry-sump hot rod motor. If oil is too high then it sometimes vents out that hose. See the Yamaha video in The Welcome Mat forum. That should help a lot. The other thing is when that hose runs back across the underseat area, its good to choose a path that makes the hose run higher at first (so and oil vapor tends to run back into the valve cover). Then the hose can tend to run downhill to a good termination point. You can clamp-install a lightweight cheap filter on the end if you want, to use as an oil vapor indicator. Most times after awhile people just stop putting one there. The combination of these two practices should minimize oil drips. Heck I have not seen a drop from my hose in a decade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@arizonawarrior I hope my oil level not to high .I asked 2 separate Yamaha dealer capacity and after new k&n oil filter I came in just under 5 qts with dipstick not screwed in the oil was so clean it was hard to read for awhile but I believe it over the halfway mark ...but I'll check out the video you suggested.
Thanks for the knowledge

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Personally I am a big fan of mineral spirits and a rag for that type of cleaning. It's a great degreaser and isn't caustic like soap based degreasers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts