RS Warrior Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come here twice a day every day, and this forum is unlike any other in one particular way. Every time somebody asks a question, two, three, or more people tell them to search for an answer. I understand the logic behind this. Nobody wants a thousand threads about the same exact thing, but if everybody just searches, and never asks questions, the traffic on the site goes way down. In the general discussion forum there are maybe a few new topics every day. In every other forum I subscribe to there are dozens every day in the general discussion section. I think some people, myself included have been hesitent to ask questions, because the only response they will get is to do a search. What you guys need to realize is that sometimes people don't have an hour to sit around and search for the info they are looking for. Sometimes, they just want to ask a quick, maybe redundant question, and get a simple quick answer. I'm sick of being told to search every time I ask a question. I'm tired of searching through pages and pages of text for every little thing thats on my mind.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Scoper50 said:
I come here twice a day every day, and this forum is unlike any other in one particular way. Every time somebody asks a question, two, three, or more people tell them to search for an answer. I understand the logic behind this. Nobody wants a thousand threads about the same exact thing, but if everybody just searches, and never asks questions, the traffic on the site goes way down. In the general discussion forum there are maybe a few new topics every day. In every other forum I subscribe to there are dozens every day in the general discussion section. I think some people, myself included have been hesitent to ask questions, because the only response they will get is to do a search. What you guys need to realize is that sometimes people don't have an hour to sit around and search for the info they are looking for. Sometimes, they just want to ask a quick, maybe redundant question, and get a simple quick answer. I'm sick of being told to search every time I ask a question. I'm tired of searching through pages and pages of text for every little thing thats on my mind.

I dont get it, Pep just got on a guy for not posting when he had been searching this site for a year or something then wanted to sell a GPS, then you get told to shut up and search. I guess it's like putting on your helmet, layered clothing, gloves and boots............Then laughing at the people in "CAGES!" LOL

Just do what you gotta do bro.

·
Registered
109 Posts
use the search function this topic has already been discussed!

lol! i know what you mean alot of times i expect a kick in the face with the search function.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I understand your concerns. I don't post often, I mostly read, but maybe I have more time on my hands. This site gives us a wealth of information at our fingertips free of charge. I am grateful for what many people have worked very hard to bring us and respect them enough to read through what has taken a cumulative effort of close to 5 years to compile. If a certain topic seems daunting to research it is probably because that topic has been questioned and discussed so many times that there is now an overload of info repeating itself.They (members on this site) don't give us the run-around like the mechanics and dealers do and they don't ask us to pay a premium for our membership. The information is there; all you have to do is a little bit of searching. It isn't too much to ask. If you still can't find it, which may occur often, go ahead and ask. From what I've noticed, when we are told to use the search feature, it is usually accompanied with 3-4 links directing us to our answers as well. Maybe it's frustrating to hear over and over again to search,but I'm sure it is even more frustrating to get asked the same questions over and over again, especially when the answer is at your fingertips.

I consider it simply courteous to use the search feature first. Some people may consider it rude to ignore the search feature.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
IMHO: if someone tells you to search they probably do not know the answer to your question or are to lazy to respond in a helpful way. Just think of it like the card game "Fish". If they don't have it --- "go fish".

If I read a post & do not recall the answer to the ? I will do the search & post the link to the answer for you if I have the time to do it.

As far as topic posting: The format for this forum has changed & is not as user friendly as it once was + the search feature sucks with this new format, its difficult to find anything.

So just keep posting & asking ??. A person with a helpful nature may see it & respond. If you get the "go fish" reply just consider the source & perhaps the next reply to your post will get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Churchkey said:
IMHO: if someone tells you to search they probably do not know the answer to your question or are to lazy to respond in a helpful way. Just think of it like the card game "Fish". If they don't have it --- "go fish".

If I read a post & do not recall the answer to the ? I will do the search & post the link to the answer for you if I have the time to do it.

As far as topic posting: The format for this forum has changed & is not as user friendly as it once was + the search feature sucks with this new format, its difficult to find anything.

So just keep posting & asking ??. A person with a helpful nature may see it & respond. If you get the "go fish" reply just consider the source & perhaps the next reply to your post will get you where you want to go.

+1...Well said Chuurchkey.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
mredhawk said:
Ignore the "search first" post and keep reading. Someone will usually post the answer in the thread.

+1

F the "seach first" folks, and ask away....

with that being said, there are some topics on here that have been beaten to death. prime example would be the "will the 210 tire work?" question, or the "what oil should i use?". i guess a good rule of thumb would be to browse a bit before asking a question. But if folks dont, no biggie. I always try to answer the question to the best of my knowledge, and if i cant i will do a search and post the relivent links to try to help the person. I look at it as benificial to me and the OP, i learn somthing new trying to answer their question.

·
Registered
692 Posts
scooper, in my opinion, and based on the short time I have been a member: search first, then ask. I'm not talking about spending hours pouring through archives of rswarrior, but sometimes learning what others have asked and seeing others responses to previously asked questions can help you narrow down what it is you want to know. Plus it will keep you from posting questions like "has anybody tried that waterbong thing from eletrik - does it work?" Often a search won't give you your answer but it willat least help you to ask the right questions.

A lotof the members here are a wealth of knowlege and are more than happy to share, even if it's for the same question that's been answered 100 times before. Read through some posts and you can quickly learn who knows their stuff, and in most cases, those are the same people who will answer whatever you ask, and not tell you to search first

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Woody is right, just keep asking your questions. The new sight has lost some of its helpful members, and some that were not totally lost don't post as much as they once did. A lot of times when someone asks a question now; instead of getting helpful answers someone tries to be a comedian and replies with some off the wall stuff. But there are still people that will give you a good answer. Sometimes they are a little harder to find.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
jabo said:
Woody is right, just keep asking your questions. The new sight has lost some of its helpful members, and some that were not totally lost don't post as much as they once did. A lot of times when someone asks a question now; instead of getting helpful answers someone tries to be a comedian and replies with some off the wall stuff. But there are still people that will give you a good answer. Sometimes they are a little harder to find.
Who? What? Off the wall? Just look at my avatar and be amazedat my cleverness!! What?

<-- postwhore

·
Registered
896 Posts
+1

Churchkey said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.