RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on normal Saturday ride(260) miles today, hadn't ridden the warrior in about a month, been riding the Concours because of the fairing protection from the cold weather. After about 100 miles I heard this scraping sound. After checking everything I finally determined the rear wheel bearing was bad. Had to pack double with riding buddy to my home and truck the Warrior home. Good advice is to take a close look at bearing when changing tires. The Warrior is only 6 years old with 68k on it. Just some advice to keep from interrupting a great day trip.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My new front and rear bearings are on the UPS truck. With 40k on it and WarriorDog loosing a front bearing last year I ain't taking any chances.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hi Bill... I did mine on my first Warrior...no noise but started spitting **** out on the wheel etc. I saved about 80% on the price by buying the bearings at a bearing house instead of Yamaha. I just replaced the main 3 in rear wheel . During a tire change , the shop I go to (for tire changes only) popped them out and installed the new ones for only a $15 extra charge and they supplied the rubber/ dust cover or whatever that was! The bearing house was about $26 Canadian for the 3 bearings and Yamaha wanted $130+.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26251/380547.aspx#380547

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I can't imagine what you boys are doing to your bikes. I had my wheels off last month for tires and the bearings are like new. The Bearing setup in the rear wheel would carry a small truck...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bruce, I Intend to rebearing the front and rear..Don't want to get in the middle of the Ozarks and have problems that I could have solved before the trip. You think you'll make this one???

·
Registered
263 Posts
bearings can suck when they go out. i had them go completely out on my vf1100s honda. made for a bad 20 mile trip home. rear end all over the place. thought it was the road at first. very scary

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
No plans to at this point Bill ... would be a nice trip though !!!

1Warlock said:
Thanks Bruce, I Intend to rebearing the front and rear..Don't want to get in the middle of the Ozarks and have problems that I could have solved before the trip. You think you'll make this one???

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removed the rear wheel yesterday, Bad bearing on the brake side of the wheel, which has welded itself in the hub. My project today is to heat it and remove, hopefully with no damage to the hub. The rest of the bearings looked and felt good. Gonna replace all of them while I have it down. Then plan to do the front to headoff later problems.

·
Registered
895 Posts
so..... Finding "gunk" sprayed all over the rim is a good indication of bad bearings??? Good to know. I'll be dealing with this soon enough. I'm thinking Timken bearings are a good way to go. And I know this is a bit late for this thread. But I just now saw it.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking what damaged mine might have been torqueing the rear axle nut to 110 ft/lbs like the manual specified. And I used to spin that rear wheel a lot!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I thought rear wheel but torque was 85? I'm gonna put new bearings in my front wheel when it gets here tomorrow. Where's a good place for them? Do you need an inside bearing puller or do they just drive out?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
80-85 is what I use now. The manual said a wrong number. I had someone else install my bearings so can't help you there.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just ponied up for all new bearings & dust covers. Yamaha Sports Plaza, $170 shipped. I have just under 115k miles & I feel like the time has come...

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just ponied up for all new bearings & dust covers. Yamaha Sports Plaza, $170 shipped. I have just under 115k miles & I feel like the time has come...
get your money back. Order them through Dennis Kirk. Pivot works part number PWRWS-Y12-000 this is your rear set. Its about $67 on their website. The all balls bearing set is about $25. All together $93 and change and they may actually qualify for free shipping. That's still half the cost of a stealership. If you don't want to cry or get really ticked off, do not click this denniskirk.com link... https://m.denniskirk.com/cart
don't say I didn't warn you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for the info. OEM no worries. I have 115k on the originals. I couldn't recall Dennis Kirks web site when I went to order them. Next time I'll try & remember, too late on this bit, not too much difference in $. I have my new Avons waiting on my bearings...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts