RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I was hoping to get good wheelies on my Warrior. I've been a good wheelie nut on other bikes but are finding it hard to get it right on the Warrior. I have gotten several but many times just get a burnout or fishtail! It seems if I try when moving at a slow speed then pull hard on the bars when using the exact amount of throttle and clutch it comes up good but still sometimes ends up with the back tire breaking loose.

Anyone sucessful with wheelies on these hot rods?

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
wheelies on a regular basis might not be such a great idea IMO. while no bikes that come from thefactoryare "meant" for wheelies the warrior is a lot heavier than a sport bikes and a lot more stress is placed on the neck of the frame when that front tire comes back down especially is you have to get out of it quickly and it comes down hard. not to say Ihavent lifted the front tire a time or two. just not several times a day just my .02 not trying to ruin anyones fun

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's kinda like lighting a short fused firecracker. I really want to, but just haven't got the nerve yet. Plus my back tire keeps breaking loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive been riding wheelies on my warrior for about4 four years. ive gottin good enough to shift into second, but the bike has to be at 10 o clock for it the be smooth. My bike is stock other than a shenko rear tire. Stealh drag radial. It makes it a lot easier. I just got on this site today, so i will post some pics in the future.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
fatnuts28 said:
Ive been riding wheelies on my warrior for about4 four years. ive gottin good enough to shift into second, but the bike has to be at 10 o clock for it the be smooth. My bike is stock other than a shenko rear tire. Stealh drag radial. It makes it a lot easier. I just got on this site today, so i will post some pics in the future.

Welcome to the site. Not sure if you just joined the Internet or you have been stalking in the forum for a while.

I see this is your first post.

You may want to look at the dates of a post before responding to old post. This one is over a year old (Fri, Oct 17 2008 7:44 PM). But keep using the search feature and if you have any questions, I'm sure someone here will have a answer for you or simply create a new post.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Its all good I'm glad you posted and chimed-in. To me, it seems like the only way to wheelie my Warrior is to relax and let it start coming up on its own. I have a hard time when I'm trying. But it wants to come up on its own when I'm just screwing around, or especially if I'm entering fast traffic with a short entry distance so I have to get on it hard and fast.I try to be mellow becauseI'm still running the original drive belt (its a mystery how it has lasted so long). Hehe.

fatnuts28 said:

·
Registered
45 Posts
i ve replaced 5 belts!!!! 3 were my fault because i tried running them a little loser than stock. I found if you run them a little tighter they won't break. its only needed if your wheelieing all the time. Ive did mantince on a bike that has 90 thousand miles on the org belt. So they will last. I think from talking to yamanha every time i replace on that i might have the record. haha.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,711 Posts
Five belts, holy cow! I feel sooo lucky! Mostly starting a few years ago I figured the guys whoroll the bike (to turn the belt) and search for the tight spot in the belt's rotation, then adjust tension and test for squareness from there, they seem to have the best luck. It seems like snapped belts are from being too tight or un-square, anddamaged teeth are from being too loose.It seems to hold water anyway lol but anything can happen - especially with big bad wheelies on this big bad heavy bike hehe.

Try this bad boy: (now available at most HD dealers - same as for some softail models)

Belt - OEM Replacement: S&S/Gates #106-0359 Carbon = 1-1/8" wide, 14mm pitch, 130 tooth

I know you didn't ask but I'm reminded of something from years ago that helped me (I think). I noticed that when I started squaring my own rear tire the high-speed ride seemed to smooth out better. So now after a tire change,when I'm tensioning I'm also squaring. A guy on this forum taught me to put the back on a jack and while tensionsing to roll the rear wheel forward a couple spins and then backward a couple spins, and watch the belt on the front pulley (look inside the belt from the back its real easy to see). He said keep the belt running away from the pulley edges and toward the middle-path by micro-tightening the left-and-right adjusters as needed. Spin the wheel forward and backward a couple rotations after every adjustment. Before you get to 10# tensionput the bike back on the ground and putless than fullrider weight on the seat (a kid, a duffle bag, a kid in a duffle bag) then roll the bike a few inches until you find one of the belt's tighter tension spots, then take it to 10 pounds tension still using a little of each (left and right) tension adjusters. This way you end up with a square belt that won't feel edge-pressure (which rips it) and also you stay at about ten pounds even at the belt's tightest points in rotation around the pulley gears. It works excellent and once you do it once it's a lot faster and easier than I make it sound here. I get the job done in under five minutes and don't have to re-tension later.

BTW you need to put some pics and mods info in your Gallery!

fatnuts28 said:
i ve replaced 5 belts!!!! 3 were my fault because i tried running them a little loser than stock. I found if you run them a little tighter they won't break. its only needed if your wheelieing all the time. Ive did mantince on a bike that has 90 thousand miles on the org belt. So they will last. I think from talking to yamanha every time i replace on that i might have the record. haha.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
I know you didn't ask but I'm reminded of something from years ago that helped me (I think). I noticed that when I started squaring my own rear tire the high-speed ride seemed to smooth out better. So now after a tire change,when I'm tensioning I'm also squaring. A guy on this forum taught me to put the back on a jack and while tensionsing to roll the rear wheel forward a couple spins and then backward a couple spins, and watch the belt on the front pulley (look inside the belt from the back its real easy to see). He said keep the belt running away from the pulley edges and toward the middle-path by micro-tightening the left-and-right adjusters as needed. Spin the wheel forward and backward a couple rotations after every adjustment. Before you get to 10# tensionput the bike back on the ground and putless than fullrider weight on the seat (a kid, a duffle bag, a kid in a duffle bag) then roll the bike a few inches until you find one of the belt's tighter tension spots, then take it to 10 pounds tension still using a little of each (left and right) tension adjusters. This way you end up with a square belt that won't feel edge-pressure (which rips it) and also you stay at about ten pounds even at the belt's tightest points in rotation around the pulley gears. It works excellent and once you do it once it's a lot faster and easier than I make it sound here. I get the job done in under five minutes and don't have to re-tension later.

Great information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info, any and all is accepted. Im new to the wholecomputer thing, and i dont have one at home so it will take me a while updating my bio. I used a gates belt once and i broke it in about 300 miles, not a bad belt, i had it to loose that is actually the 6th belt i broke.The rest whereOEM belts and yamaha was nice enough to warranty since there was never any signs of rock chips.I installed it on the fly in tulsa OK after my other belt broke using very little tools and a railroad tie as a jack and of couse i didn't adjust when i got back home. I always check for square because my bike loves to where the left side of my front tire, its always in the front in but i make sure and check the rear every time. Thanks for all the good info. I just got my bike back together and im trying to get some pics to post. Nothing special went from purple to 05 lambo orange.

What is a good front tire, mine only last about 2500 miles, i just bought a mich pilot, so i ll see how it does for now.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
sorry guys ,but i just keep seeing this and when i see it the first thing i think is its a way of rewording, to me the title of" wheelies on a warrior" , that like saying "smoking crack while riding with no hands on warrior" thats fine if you ride wheelies on your bike but it is just not right, not that you cant do it or the bike doesnt have what it takes ,i guess its like saying i have a promodified drag tank , lol just my thoughts do as you will but when you need welding on the frame look for a very good tig welder, btk572

·
Vendor
943 Posts
I have had a few good ones and one that wanted to go 12 oclock on me. I am a big guy so it is not easy. That back wheel just loves to spin.

·
Registered
492 Posts
fatnuts28 said:
What is a good front tire, mine only last about 2500 miles, i just bought a mich pilot, so i ll see how it does for now.
avon storm . they really last, im over 8000 miles in mines, still strong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts