RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 28k miles on my 2003 Warrior. Now the dreaded middle drive shaft problem has struck. Time to replace the shaft at a cost of about $250ish locally, zero dollars for labor since I do my own wrenching and the Warrior is simple to work on. I have not opened up the transfer case to see if there are other damaged parts, which is a possibility raising the cost of repairs.
I will have to decide if I just want to replace the worn old design part with another 2003 driven shaft or upgrade to the 2007 shaft design (this will result in changing out about 6 other smaller items like bearings, seal, etc). However, I did find out the improved 2007 version is actually about $20 less expensive vs the 2003 design.
In the past five years I have probably spent about $250 in replacing items that have broke or failed; one battery, two fuel injectors rebuilt and cleaned. So overall this bike has been good to me and quite dependable and a **** a lot of fun.
I am curious what you would do, maybe it is in your future maybe not.
1. Would you gamble on repairing the items and keep the bike and hope for another five years of trouble free service? 28k is not many miles for a bike.
2. Trade her in for pennies on the dollar on something else that you might like? Thinking that five years is a good run and trade her in before more items need replacing? Used 600cc trackbike or FJ sounds great, hummmmmm?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
guess the question is are you happy with it? I think most on here that got rid of their warriors just got bored of em. Seams like a rather common rule of thumb on bikes is 3 years then a new one. That is what i did, got bored, parted with it, got a new bike, in a few years rince and repeat.

but if you truely still love it and dont mind the wrenching, then you need to keep it. but seeing you made this post, maybe a new bike is in order.....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Who is to say you wont have something go wrong with a different bike. Thay all can haveproblems. It might be time for a right side drive. A couple sprockets and a chain and your good to go!!!!!

Get your self a few of these
and things will start looking much better.

TRex

·
Registered
692 Posts
megawatt said:
In the past five years I have probably spent about $250 in replacing items that have broke or failed; one battery, two fuel injectors rebuilt and cleaned. So overall this bike has been good to me and quite dependable and a **** a lot of fun.

$250 over 5 years is $50 per year, add in the $250 for the middle drive shaft and that's $500 or $100 bucks per year. If you're not bored with the warrior, then IMO your out of pocket repair costs don't seem extra ordinarily high to me. Granted it's always tough to cough up that cash when a repair is needed (and added to that is the downtime of not being able to ride). Plus you will easily drop $500 with a new to you bike on mods and upgrades.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O yea, I can easily drop $$ on mods. In five months of ownership with the Busa, I have already droped about $3000 on things to make it my own without opening the engine or new paint.

Always have been happy with the Warrior but guess I also don't want to have the memory turn into "That bike turned out to be a big case of frusteration". I am fortunate that I have another bike for fun. Just tossing ideas while here at work, I know the Warrior is worth more to me than to a dealer on a trade in. Trade in value would be an insult actually somewhere around $2000.I would not sell it to anyone, I don't have time for joy rides, strangers calling me up , meeting places, etc.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i would fix it, you'll spend more than that just on sales tax if you buy something else and thats just tax money then you start to add up all the new mod money you'll be spending and..... well i think you get what i'm trying to say

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The cost of repairs and the desire for a different bike almost seem completely unrelated considering how little you've spent and will likely spend on your Warrior's repairs. If you need that cost to justify buying a new bike to your wife or something that's one thing but otherwise they seem like different topics practically. I'm considering getting rid of mine and moving on as well but I know some people could never imagine getting rid of their Warrior, it's just a personal preferance thing. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts
There's Warriors out there with a lot more miles than yours, I wouldn't think you should expect some spike in repair cost. If you like the bike keep it. If you don't like it, sell it. Then when you start weeping sissy-withdrawls at midnight we will help you find a new one

megawatt said:
Always have been happy with the Warrior but guess I also don't want to have the memory turn into "That bike turned out to be a big case of frusteration". I am fortunate that I have another bike for fun. Just tossing ideas while here at work, I know the Warrior is worth more to me than to a dealer on a trade in. Trade in value would be an insult actually somewhere around $2000.I would not sell it to anyone, I don't have time for joy rides, strangers calling me up , meeting places, etc.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Marco Polo said:
The cost of repairs and the desire for a different bike almost seem completely unrelated considering how little you've spent and will likely spend on your Warrior's repairs. If you need that cost to justify buying a new bike to your wife or something that's one thing but otherwise they seem like different topics practically. I'm considering getting rid of mine and moving on as well but I know some people could never imagine getting rid of their Warrior, it's just a personal preferance thing. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

+1 I couldn't find the right way to say what MP just stated when I made my original post. It really does sound like your looking for justification to get a new/different bike. I can totally empathize if that's the case. I have repeatedly told people that I won't be happy until I have at least 4 or 5 bikes (like that's ever going to happen). I've got the warrior but want a naked bike (speed triple, or super duke anyone?) to run around on, a good two up bike (for travellin'), and I kick myself weekly for selling my KLR 650 (but would gladly take a GS or KTM adventureas a replacement! Currently can't imagine getting rid of the warrior but I know that someday we, sadly, will part

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arizona Warrior said:
...Then when you start weeping sissy-withdrawls at midnight we will help you find a new one

Ha ha sissy withdraws, now thats funny. I know what is going to happen. I am going to grab a wrench start to remove and inspect parts then I am going to talk myself into a PR 110" kit. I KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, I KNOW IT.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Tough decision. I have tossed around selling the Warrior from time to time and starting on a new project. Maybe a Raider or an HD. I decided to change things up a bit and get a decent sport bike, which I did and now I find myself riding my Warrior less and spending more time onmy CBR Repsol 1000RR.....two totally different worlds. The world of the Repsol is so much more fun and enjoyable and suited towards my riding style. I would not miss the Warrior if I decided to sell. It is hard to part with all the work I have put into it.

If I were you I would fix the Warrior, keep itand pick up a decent sportbike and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
If the dealer is only gonna give you $2,000 for it on trade, I'll go $2,001 sight unseen and I'll be there this coming weekend to get it, oh and I'll even take it as is. So there is no need for you to fix it.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Sounds like you have had good service from your warrior. And it hasn't cost you a lot to maintain it. Unless you are wanting to get a different bike, your cheapest route is to fix the warrior.

Mine is an 02 with a little over 21k. I havehad to replace the battery, the fuel filter and today the wheel bearing in the right side of the rear wheel. Now that isn't bad. Oh yeah several back tires and 2 front tires.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a line on a replacement shaft for $100 or complete transfer case for $250. Both used but newsed condition. I will find out tonight which one I should buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts