RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see bikes on this site that are lowered, and tons of people looking to lower their bikes. Now I come from the sport bike world, and although lowering on sport bikes isn't recommended because it comprimises handling, most sport bike guys that do lower their bikes do it because they are short, and have trouble touching the ground.

On the other hand, the warrior is already low to the ground. Correct me if I'm wronig, but I believe that a shorter than average guy would have no problem touching the ground while sitting on the bike. So why lower it? This bike is so low to begin with that sometimes I feel like I'm on a little tiny motorcycle. That is until I twist the throttle. I just don't understand the whole lowering thing. Maybe somebody can explain it to me

·
Registered
232 Posts
It may look better, but this mod was the only one up to now where I got twice an adrenalin shot from the worst sort.
If you lower that beast after getting use to its handling you will be badly surprised what happens next. I hit the frame twice (on both sides) on the ground and luckily just for a fraction of a second while I was leaning in a curve. Curbs were the worse thing.
Lowering has its limits and eliminates one strong point on that bike: It’s great handling (unless you are after straight roads). However, there is a sweet spot in lowering, but that depends on your riding style.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Some like theirs slammed some do not.

Some like function over form.

Some like form over function.

To get an idea of form over function watch American Chopper on TV. Same ol frame, same ol V twin engine, same ol stretched front end but they can make the bike look like a spyder web or a tennis shoe.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
The Warrior looks great lowered, BUT the trade off to look cool vs. handling performance is too great. I have had my Warrior lowered in 3 different heights over the years and eventually brought it back up to stock height just due to my riding style.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
It's just for the looks.In my case,i'm 57 and a little old shcool. I rode dirt bikes for years,and I rode like nothing could happen to me,so if I did the canyon carving thing instead of cruising, I would probably end up dead.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
My main reason for lowering the bike was to get rid of that gap between the tire and the fender. If I wanted the "sport-bike" look I would have left it alone, but I bought it as a cruiser. I have yet toscrape the frame, pegs, exhaust, etc., but perhaps I'm not as aggressive as most.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well im just a cruiser if i wanted to hammer corners id get back on my mt-01 and the handling is only one of the many great atributes of this bike the fact that theres nothing else like em is a big one oh and then theres smokin harleys hehe

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
As my Harly riding buddy recently told me "it's not just about torque and speed, it's about making noise and looking good". While I thought that was pretty funny I still prefer being able to carve mine through the twistys. If I was going to lower it I think I'd buy an HD.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am not a fan of giving up handling for looks.I will not lower my bike especially since I am 250 LBS. I am looking tomount the rear fender to the swing arm instead of the frame. That way it looks slammed and still has the suspension set up right. then bob the **** out of the stock fender to allow the sub fender to breath and show off. I am trying to figure out how i would do this but it will happen someday..

Aaron

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
It is a trade off, I use to hit the frame all the time. I tightened the rear suspension up to the max and backed off just a little on aggression. sometimes I think about putting mine back to stock but it's not so important that I've actually done it. I'll never get rid of the gouges in the frame though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm doing it to close the gap between the rear tire and fender, plus I figure for the cost of the lowering links (sub $100), if it really doesn't look good or handling/clearance is so compromised that I'd rather walk thenI'll just put it back to stock and get on with it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i actually raised mine with rams setup for better handling

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have the adjustable lowering kit and i prefer the bike to stock riding height. It looks good lowered but rides crappy especially if your into leaning pretty hard. It scrapes really easily.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Looks. I get loads of compliments, and I am not an aggressive rider.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I did a flip and grind becase im short and thought it would be better to stand flat footed with my knees bent. I will admit I feel much more comfortable at a red light now that its about 2 inches lower. As an unexpected bonus the bike looks so much more awsome. I have seen pictures before and after but I never appreciated the looks untilI saw it on my bike.

I cant take the corners like I did before. My pegs are scaping more than ever. I will be putting on some adjustable dogbones this winter. I need to find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I walk into a megamall motorcycle store to find a new bike and fell in love with the yamaha warrior. [
] It was love at first sight! Unfortunatly, the dealers do not allow new bike to be test driven before purchase. All you can do is to check it out on the floor and maybe get a chance to sit on it. [V] Well, the deal was made and the red warrior was mine! After filling out the paperwork, they wheeled the bike outside and said here you go! Take here home. Being only 5'4" with a 25" inseam the bike seemed a bit tall for me. Thought, no big deal, I can just lean to one side when I come to a stop. As I was riding away, I noticed,that I could not reached the gear shifter or the rear brake pedal without stretching my toes. [:0] Bummer! I ended up lowered the bike within two days after I got it and installed a set of floor boards. Wala! Was good to go! [
]

Insert Image:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts