RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all the questions lately. I've been curious more than anything.

Why couldn't yamaha squeeze more HP out of the 1700cc engine? I was looking through one of my old Rider magazines and was reading about the V-Star 1300. That bike produces 76.8 hp & 81.8 lb-ft of torque. The Warrior produces 78 hp and 100 lb-ft of torque. The HP is almost identical to that of the smaller vstar engine (400cc difference). Only 17 lb-ft of torque seperate the two engines also.

Is this because the Warrior's engine is "old tech"? My question is why there couldn't be more HP coached out of the stock engine?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
my guess is that Yamaha has no intrest in spending millions on research for a bike that only sells to a handful of people compared to other models.

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
The Warrior was introduced de-tuned and ready to build, plus it turns-in better ET's than other bikes right out of the box. Its actually a very new technology.

IMO Yami hoped to sell a bunch of Stage4 kits but other more affordable options came to market almost insantly.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
The Warrior was introduced de-tuned and ready to build, plus it turns-in better ET's than other bikes right out of the box. Its actually a very new technology.

IMO Yami hoped to sell a bunch of Stage4 kits but other more affordable options came to market almost insantly.
+1, Mike. For the passionate racers, Patrick Racing can make your life very easy for a low price. Personally, I find the Warrior gear more then adequate for my riding style. In fact, it is superb the way it is on 102. I need to check this double Wimmers kit... Now I like it alot better then the Cool-One.

I know, I'm impossible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reminds me of the Toyota Supra. Stock came with ~300 hp but the guys who bought them knew that for $3k more you could get 500+hp.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Or the eclipse/talon just need a paper clip to adjust the turbo. Also the diy bak that was done here on this site, ecu hack, and what not makes the Warrior a true hot rodders bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well there is more to it than just cubic centimeters (differenceis actually 366cc or 22% which is mostly in torque)

The nice thing about this beast is you can coax a bit more HP and/or torque to your liking

V-Star 1300

Type

80-cubic-inch (1304cc) liquid-cooled V-twin; SOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke

100.0 mm x 83.0 mm

Compression Ratio
9.5:1

Warrior 1700

Type
102-cubic-inch (1670cc) air-cooled 48° V-twin; pushrod OHV, 4 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke
97mm x 113mm

Compression Ratio
8.36:1

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Hmm, the warrior I ride has 95 hp and 119 ft-lb of torque. and it still has some speezing to do.

·
Vendor
943 Posts
The 1300 has a larger bore and the 1700 a much longer stroke. Think about it this way. Long stroke lots torque and low rpm. Short stroke low on torque but high rpm which = more hp. The biggest difference though is the cooling. The 1300 with liquid cooling can rev much higher than air cooled 1700. Compairing these two engines is difficult because they are really completely different. And with compairing engines one thing I am curious about is why the warrior has such low compression. The raider has a larger engine and much higher compression. It has to be they want to sell stage 4 kits for it. If the warrior had the same compression as the 1300 and 1900 at 9.5:1 it would be setup much better for the street.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
This is an apples & pear comparison from where I’m sitting.As shown in Donncada’s response the V* 1300 is liquid cooled, SOHC and the Warrior is an air-cooled OHV Pushrod motor.As an air-cooled engine the lower compression is req’d for low octane gas where as the Raider, Stratoliner & Roadliner running the higher compression ratio use Premium fuel.

The over square bore x stroke V* will require higher rpm’s to achieve both max torque & hp compared to the Warrior’s which is developed at 3700 & 4600 rpm respectively!IMO, Yamaha marketed the Warrior as a performance hot rod V-Twin incorporating old-fashioned air-cooling, pushrod valve actuation and New Technology such as fuel injection, all aluminum frame,inverted frt forks,belt drive, etc.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
The better question for me is why did they only get mid 70's HP out of the 1300 when HD is kicking the crap out of that with a 1000cc water cooled vtwin

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another thing to remember. Most vehicles cars, trucks, and motorcycles included come out of the factory detuned for two specific reasons. One is emissions. They have to fall within certain EPA regulations. The other is insurance. If the bike rolled off the line with 100+ horsepower insurance companys would have a hay day and people would be discouraged to purchase the bike because of the price of insurance.

If you've researched 60's muscle cars at all, you'll find that car companys actually low balled certain cars horsepower ratings to keep insurance premiums reasonable.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Very true about the car insurance.... but the only thing my insurance company asked was how many CC. I've also wondered why they stuck with such low compression. Do you really think they'd do that just so they could hopefully sell some stage 4 kits?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think some of it has to do with controlability. I know even my 05 when it was stock had no problem making the back tire light up without hesitation. It is a liability issue with the manufacturer. The last thing they want to see is some kids wihtout any riding experience buy one and toss themselves on the ground as they pull off the dealer parking lot. When I bought mine and was taking care of the insurance, the agent was telling me that most kids that buy the Busa or other hyper bike, as I call them, the insurance is way more than the payment. Like the 60's muscle cars, it all has to do with legalities. Then again, I would buy a Warrior if it came stock with 102 ponies.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts