RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, another question in regards to the front pulley/nut problems. I am going to be taking mine off, torqueing it to 120 ft. lb., using red lock tite, using new washer, etc. When using the search function I found where some recommended bending only one of the tabs over on the lockwasher. What would be the reason for this? and what one should be bent-ie the left or the right tab? Anything else that I should do? Made it 9k with no probs, and don't want to start now. Thanks

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
davidd said:
Hi everyone, another question in regards to the front pulley/nut problems. I am going to be taking mine off, torqueing it to 120 ft. lb., using red lock tite, using new washer, etc. When using the search function I found where some recommended bending only one of the tabs over on the lockwasher. What would be the reason for this? and what one should be bent-ie the left or the right tab? Anything else that I should do? Made it 9k with no probs, and don't want to start now. Thanks
No offense ment but your going a little too far( IMHO). The specs I know call for less torque then what is actually needed, I agree with, I torque mine to 100 lbs (not saying I am golden) and have never used Locktite be it red or blue. I do pull both tabs over but I use my tabs as a guage to make sure it hasnt moved, which can also be done with a small scratch mark. I have alot of miles on mine and have changed it from 32 to 31 then to 22 chain drive then 21 chain drive (this was also during the time for motor upgrades) which puts a whole lot more pressure on the sprocket then you will be putting on yours being stock or even modified. Some day you may want to take that thing off again and with 120 lbs and red you may not find an impact wrench that can do it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
From what I understand, using one is the same as using two but if you have to remove the nut then you'll have one that has not been bent and is good as new.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
IMO red thread lock is a Band-Aidrepair forworn splines on themiddle shaft and or pulley. Both Loctite & Permatex manufacture a filler mat'l that is specific for that type of repair. A trouble free long lastingassembly is best achieved with proper fitting splines andtorqued nut!

Keep in mind that your frt pulley nut has been removed previously during the Nat'l recall campaign for the trani on '02-03' Warriors. I suspect that a high percentage of those bikes had this nut tightened with an impact wrench at a much higher torque value than the factory 72 ft~lbs

My loose pulley saga if interested: Sprocket Issue's (anyone else?)http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/20832/324166.aspx#324166

Taken from an earlier post: Front Pulley Lock Washer

AlanH said:
Thu, Apr 19 2007 5:58 PM

Bend the Tab that has the best presentation to the Flat Vertical surface of the cupped nut. Be sure to torque the nut to 100 ft~lbs minimum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts