RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the samson ground pounders and they sound great. for some reason I wasa riding home on a hot summer afternoon and I noticed that the sound of the pipes became duller than normal. When I mean dull I mean the sound was not as crisp, its like the bike lost its treble part of the sound. Even on decall that jack hammer sound theat the ground pounders have was a little less agresive sounding. Now the bike preforms the same no loss of power and acceleration is normal, its only the crips sound has died of abit. Nothing has been done to the bike so can't work it out. using same fuel. Its annoying because the way it was a few days ago was awesome now its loss that crispy bark. Even the ocasional back fire sound less trebbley.

Any ideas?

Jhnny

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
As long as nothing has cracked, which I would think make the pipes louder I would think Hot Metal.

A Hot pipe would hold a slightly lower tone than a cold one, I would imagine. I wouldnt think it would be noticable though. In some cases though, there are variations.

or

your going deaf.

I said YOUR GOING DEAF!

lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've experienced similar effects on long rides (couple hours or longer). After some miles at constant highway speeds, my pipes are not as loud either -- noticeably. I figured it was a combination of just getting used to hearing the constant 'noise' along with some possible temporary loss of sensitivity to my hearing.

The next time I ride it, it's always the same as it always is. Nice and loud!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have to agree with BJ. You may just be getting used to the sound. Partial hearing loss?? I install some high wattage audio systems in cars and its very common for a customer to come in a couple weeks later saying its not as loud as the first day. It is but they got used to it. My wife still bitches at me when I start up my bike in the garage and all I say is what and give her the shoulder shrug like whats the problem. Maybe I am a little tone deaf!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's a combination of both. It's like when you put cologne on and later you dont smell it; because its just so constant that you get used to it. Also when the metal expands, it causes the tone to go flat (usually sounding less treblely), and when it get cold and shrinks, the pitch goes sharp.... I was in marching band in highschool...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I've noticed changes in the sound depending on length of trip and temps and so forth as well. It even seems to effect the baffle because my latest ones sound different then my previous ones going through the same heat cycle. Speaking of the baffles though, it wouldn't hurt to take a peek at the screw and make sure yours haven't worked their way loose and have shifted within your exhaust (resting against the tips waiting to push them off). How deep they are within your exhaust would change their sound so if one came loose I suppose it could be noticeable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear everyone about the getting use to the tone BUT it ahppend 10min into the trip I heard the sound change. Plus I am a sound engineer by trade so I no what I hear. Then again this morning when I went for a ride its sound the same duller sound. It has not come bac to crisp. A for cold and hot pipes yes agree but I have riden the bike for 2 hour trips and the sound changing to ear fatigue is different to what I am hearing now. there must be more to it.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
New pipes can sound tinny, older pipes tend to mellow out with carbon build up.

Has the humidity changed much? It makes a difference.

My pipes ALWAYS sound much better after I have a long conversation withmy ol woman.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've got the same pipes and have noticed something similar. I just racked it up to temperature changes. Both air temp and steel temps. They're still loud as ****, just different tone at times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
samson ground pounders don't use baffles for those who don't no them, there straight threw. So its never a question of them. The pipes are not new there been on for a long time. Nothings moved, changed, broke, slipped or fell of they just sound diff. Somthing a guy said in one reply might be they key. he refered to change in temp and hunidity. Yes hear in Australia this past week as I live in Sydney it has been f**k hot, up around the high 38 deg C, and the hunidity is a killer. The day they changed was a sticky hot day and has been the same this past few dasy as the pipes have stayed the same as when the first changed. It could very well be that. I will have to wait till it gets cooler to see if it goes back. At night they still sound the same even though temp drops, but it is still more humid and thats when the change started.

could this very well be it?

Johnny

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry, my bad.

Shogun Exhaust Warlord Series Ground Pounder Exhaust Systems (Yamaha - XV1700 Road Star Warrior 2005)
Shogun Exhaust Warlord Series Ground Pounder Exhaust Systems (Yamaha - XV1700 Road Star Warrior 2005) PRODUCT DETAILS PRODUCT REVIEWS From exhaust port to pipe tip, these complete exhaust systems are pure style, fit, tone and performance. Virtually seamless transition from head pipe to muffler. Shorty, Ground Pounder and Short Slasher only available for Yamaha Warrior. 1 3/4” head pipes with 2 1/4” slip-on muffler bodies (except Shortys). 2 1/4” full-coverage heat shields included. Optional baffles

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
There are very likely more people running their ground pounders with baffles then without, don't apologize just because he wasn't aware how common it is to add them.

As for the increased heat lately in Australia, I doubt that would cause a sudden change at the 10 minute mark like you stated and it also wouldn't completely explain why it still sounded that way on the next ride even before your bike warmed up like you indicated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't run baffles in mine. I've just gotten used to it going flat the longer I ride. From a cold start, they sound great but after a while they go a little dull. They still sound loud, but not as crisp. I'm no engineer but I'm guessing that as the metal heats up, it distorts the sound coming out of the pipes. Never does anything to my performance tho, so I've just quit worrying about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well 3 rides in and it still sounds the same. run out of ideas and no one seems to really no or can give a definete answer why the sound has changed slightly. guess I am stuck with it. it gives me the shits because it was 100% good before now its like 85-90% now. Whats changed for gods sake. aaahhhhhhhh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts