RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Warrior, glad I chose it. I just spoke with a friend of mine who is a salesman for a major motorcycle parts distributor. He was tellin me that all of the Yami shops he visits on a weekly basis still have lots of 02' models still available. In his opinion, he didn't think the Warrior made too much of an impression on the Power Cruiser market. We discussed this for a while and compared it to the VTX and Mean Streak and agreed there is no comparison, the Warrior is the Sh*t, neither of us could understand why there are still so many unsold Warriors out there. IMHO the Warriors rock and should be completely sold out. Will they catch on more? Too many made in 02'? Price? First year of production? No radiator? No rubber engine mounts? Texans prefer another model? All of the above? Don't shoot the messenger.[^]

·
Registered
579 Posts
It is so new and souch a new engine I think people want to see how it holds up. People tend to trust Honda more and the VTX is more standard of a bike.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
IMHO, it's because it's not a harley knock off. Lots of people want a harley or something that looks just like it, all the major clones sell well, regardless of who makes it. This isn't a clone of anything, it's a bike in a class of it's own

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good point. Maybe thats why the VTX is being offered as a retro this year? How long has the Mean streak been in production?
"Class of it's own", you are exactly right, lets keep this a secret for as long as we can.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Mean Streak is one year older that the Warrior. Obviously ther is a market for this type cruiser or there would be no VROD. I se more sportbike owners at younger ages than ever before. I think most of those guys will migrate to or thru the warrior or something similar

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
We went over this discussion in some detail before.... you can do a search and find it.

In Summary, I think it is that people do not know about this bike. When I was lookin gto buy my first cruiser last December, I had not heard of the Warrior, a friend of mine pointed it out to me. I was looking at Moto Guzzi. And I do follow the bike market, and the supersports and all. I believe 2003 will be the deciding year for the Warrior. I see more Warriors being bought and more on the roads everywhere. As for slow sales, well, you must keep in mind that this is a bike that sells for $11K (best Deal) out the door. So its not exactly cheap. I just picked up a bike on Friday for my uncle, it was a Vstar1100Custom. $7700 OTD. He just could not afford the $11K OTD.

I believe 2003 will be the year and if you notice YAmaha is increasing its marketing and you see more ads in magazines and all.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
It's a niche' bike. That's why it hasn't sold well and why the value has dropped so much. There are a bunch of guys on this site who got theirs for less than 10,000.00 OTD. Darkstar and I both bought pretty early in the production run, Dec. 2001. He paid 2000.00 less than I did. So right off the bat they were depreciated.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree.... it's the muffler. It does not go well with the lines of the bike...... its pure ugly.... no matter how functional. Secondly, we're fighting a perception. When I tell someone I bought a bike... they immediately say.... did you get a HD? You immediately introduce the Warrior and the uneducated say Oh?!, with a certain disappointment. Given time.....and certain improvements by Yamaha.... Warriors will rule!

·
Registered
756 Posts
From the time my dealer got his warriors (fall of 01) until July of 02...he hadn't sold one. He made me a deal i couldn't refuse...cause he had an idea of what would happen!

I started working on mine the same day...in about a week or two several major changes. NOW...i'm at my dealers for a while every day thru the summer. I park right close to the door. People look at my bikes wherever i park them (not bragging just gonna make a point here). In about 2 or 3 days after the mods and parking there everyday...they started selling. It wasn't but a couple of months and the 12 or 15 he had were gone and he started getting more from other dealers. Sold all of them too. He just picked up a couple more 02s last week.

My point is...as soon as people see our bikes and all the mods that can be done to them...they're gonna catch on.

Don't forget...the Road Star wasn't a big seller the first year either. The second year it took off.

OH...btw...one of those 02 warriors is a Titanium with V&H's Big Shots on it...$9,499.00

Max Pitts
Peru, Indiana
www.maxpitts.com

Talk to Arron Pitts.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I feel sooooooo fortunate to have gotten the deal on the Warrior when I did, to speak honestly. I think it was the steal of the decade!!

Just yesterday, I stop for coffee at a motorcycle way station (Toosys' if you are familiar with Dahlonega GA) and there must have been 50 bikes lined up. Everyone sitting around BSing and smoking cigarettes, I pull up and park, for the next hour, there had to be forty people circling MY bike (ignoring Road Kings, Nomads, Springers, Vrods, MeanStreaks, VTXes, GWs, etc) and looking at it from every angle under the sun. I get out there and I can hardly get a swig of coffee in between answering questions and listening to all the Harley guys saying "****, that there Warrior is a real nice bike partner....**** 1700cc, FI, radials, ****.....reaaalll nice".

For a bike that some folks feel no one wants, the Warrior sure as heck seems to get a helluva lot of attention where ever I go.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Heck, I really do not mind that the Warrior has not been a hot item. I like it that way. Hopefully, it will have just enough interest to keep the line going or we might see a 2-3 year bike disappear from the showroom floors. Makes me want to buy one and leave it in the crate and store it away.

·
Registered
421 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Heck, I really do not mind that the Warrior has not been a hot item. I like it that way. Hopefully, it will have just enough interest to keep the line going or we might see a 2-3 year bike disappear from the showroom floors. Makes me want to buy one and leave it in the crate and store it away.

my sentiments exactly. I too passed up the warrior a year ago for all the above reasons, price, that can has got to go, bike needs major modifications right off the bat-air box n ais scoop, major mods n spending on a new bike isn't attractive when laying down 11+k, don't forget to add a seat-heheheh, newer engine-yeah its upgrade from the 1600-everyone says is a slug, personal history-got burned on a new yamaha back in 73 and haven't looked at one since. till now-this one rips! I think these will become true collectors items if you can keep them close to stok-no way. I think the mods are the only thing that is gonna save this bike from extinction. if yamaha doesn't pick up on what we are doing to these things they will not capture the new bike purchases. kinda reminds me of another company that had to make changes...hardley ableson, ring a bell?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Warrior is just too good of a machine not to catch on. As more people know about it (and the muffler is scraped), sales will pick up. This is one bike which will overcome the HD stigma, where when someone wants a cruiser they look at HD first and then try and rationalize spending the money. My buddy who has a HD, said there are way more HD's on the market now than a couple of years ago. As time goes on, the performance oriented riders get older and would never settle for a HD. The Warrior will be a logical choice.

The cost does make it a nitch bike, though as performance riders get older, they may have the $ to spend.

Food for thought:

"The early bird catches the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese"

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personaly would like to see the warrior have a good enough production run to keep the major parts and accessory manufacturers interested in producing quality stuff.
But on the other hand I dont want it to get to the stage that every Tom, Dick and Harry has one, then it becomes just another Jap bike to those who would heckle us for not buying into the HD propaganda machine.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I talked to a couple of guys who were AMAZED at the engine and power plant...1700cc's is NUTS on a bike that is this light and nimble. But it is also the very reason this bike is so solid and strong. The problem - not my problem, but people I have talked to - is that the stock bike isn't very flashy. The VTX and Mean Streak both come with a fair amount of chrome and accented pieces...peg brackets and such. The Warrior is fairly "ordinary" until you start to modify it and customize it. So it becomes a question of whether people can "see" the potential of the bike...versus buying something that is already "done".

·
Registered
302 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Washingtonwarrior

IMHO, it's because it's not a harley knock off. Lots of people want a harley or something that looks just like it, all the major clones sell well, regardless of who makes it. This isn't a clone of anything, it's a bike in a class of it's own

I agree. Also I think the "can" turns some people off. I bought mine from a dealer that had the VTX, Lean Streak[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif], and the Warrior sitting side by side. (Performance Accessories in Springfield, Oh.) And, for me anyway, the Warrior was the baddest looking of the bunch, and didn't look like it was trying to be just another "cheap imitation".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yesterday my friend found out I had a bike and wanted to race me with his harley shovelhead that he said blows away street bikes. I told him come to my shop and check my ride out but I dont know about racing him becouse I am still breaking the engine in. He calls me 10 minutes later telling me to bring tools and a master link becouse his bike is broken on the side of the road. I go there and we had a good 5 harleys and my wariror lined up on the shoulder of the road. all the harley guys were checking out my bike the whole time and saying how the lines were great on the bike and other compliments. anyway 2 more breakdowns later we manage to nurse his bike back home and he keeps saying I am lucky his bike broke so he couldnt race me. I told him his bike saw my bike coming and threw in the towel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My Harley and BigDog riding friends gave me grief over the "gatlin gun" muffler. And the one guy with his Harley Screamin Eagle Roadmaster was always bragging how hot his bike was. Well I swapped the gun for a D&D slipon before last years ride to the ROT (Republic of Texas) rally in Austin. Lets just say the Screamin Eagle guy isn't screamin any brags about his Harley toward me any more. In private, all of these guys have commented about how impressed they are with the power/torque and the lines. Its just in public they have to keep that "Harleys the King" impression up by bad mouthing us guys that are showing what a cruiser can be.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts