RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work this morning and I was trying to figure out why yamaha designed this motor(and others) with the transfercase and middle shaft and all that stuff. Why didn't they just design the gear box and clutch to be on opposite sides so that the output shaft on the trans directly drives the belt? Any ideas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Or just drive the pulley on the right side, and design the rear end for the pulley on the right side.

I am guessing the main reason is the long distance between the engine and the rear wheel. While it can be done, that is a very long belt.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the main reason I was curious is the Kawasaki 800 I had was built that way and as far as the distance from the drive gear to the wheel was about the same. It just seems that the transfer case and middle drive shaft are unneeded. I realize that it would require a complete redsign of the motor. I just wonder if they designed it that way for asthetic reasons or mechanical reasons.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like it asthetically. Every time I see a Harley with a big ass chrome transfer case, it reminds me of a tumor. Big, bulky and flat out ugly. Nakeddrive definately needed on that kind of setup.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I dunno, but if the xfer case was not there the belt would have to reach another foot longer. So that would make it two feet longer in total length.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arizona Warrior said:
Like this?

Basically, yes. Altho I know most are left side to make room for different exhaust combos. The left side drive is what I was talking about. Is there any other manufacturer making a left hand drive that has the out put from the trans on the right? Is there atleast some gear reduction in the xfer case?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
It's all Greek to me. Good thing I have a good relationship with the Stadium Yamaha guys. I only ride and let them do the work. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know I know........Pick me Pick me! They did it just do that we would have something to talk about around the watercooler...that way we could ignore our work for 5 more minutes.

Its like the tree, that we didnt plant,that my dad has growing right on the edge of his deck that does nothing but get in the way. I was going to cut it down and he said "No, its a conversation piece" I said "How is that?" "We're talking about it arent we?" was his reply.........

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've wondered ifthe ratio could be changed easily, instead of changing the pulley/belt. Somethingsimiliar to a quick-changeaxle setup in race cars.

But, looking in the FSM, it appears to be 1 to 1 (24t:24t).Also it doesn't look like a regular single rowchain. And it looks like the rear gear is integrated with the shaft.

My guess as to why it is on the Warrior/'Liner/Raider is to gain extra clearance to run a belt witha wide tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts