RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of solutions to the loosie goosie clutch lever either out of the new $27.00 Kuryakyn package or a worn part. I've never been happy w/ the sloppy fit of this clutch lever and the Yamaha precision bronze bushing wearing against the oversized hole in the Kuryakyn 7418 aluminum lever so came up with a couple of solutions.

The 1st is very simple [
] . The 2nd is more complex and requires fitting the shims properly so that the inner races can be preloaded against the clutch perch. A vernier or dial caliper is suggested to check the clearances. It's important that the inner races are preloaded and the outer races remained fixed in the clutch lever using threadlocker!

Disclaimer:
Neither of these mods have been proven. Although the sleeved version is straight forward as seen in the photos.
I'm currently running with the Ball Bearing version but it's only been on for a short period of time

A prerequisit to either of these repairs is having the use of a small drill press w/ 1/2" chuck and the experience to jig the part so that a straight 12mm hole is accomplished per the drawings.
A 13/32" Drill is suggested prior to drilling the 12mm finish hole to maintain accuracy.
A 6mm or 15/64" drill for Clutch Lever 201 mod

Clutch Lever 101 Sleeve Bearing Rebuild eliminates the aluminum to bronze surfaces with the press-fit PTFE split sleeve brg. The gap between the lever and clutch perch remains the same reusing the OEM bronze bushing:Photos:http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157603675254077/detail/
PDF version:http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Clutch%20Lever-Sleeved.pdf
Parts:
1- Metric Sleeve Bearing @ $2.69

Clutch Lever 201 Ball Bearing Build when properly assembled eliminates most of the free play between the lever and perch because the brg's, spacer & shims are preloaded @ the inner races. The OEM bronze bushing is eliminated:Photos:http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157603666129089/detail/
PDF version:http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Clutch%20Lever-Ball%20Bearing%20.pdf
Parts:
1 - Pkg (10) MR126-2RS Brg's @ $9.99
1 - Metric Aluminum Spacer @ $1.32
1 - Pkg (10) Die Punch Shims @ $6.76

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Cool post, as of this one, you have 3000!!

Random: I am going in the garage to remove the baffles out of my big shots right now, and go riding tomorrow! /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Since I did not find any fancy levers, I'm doing this. Note to self:
- Kuryakyn part no. 7418
- Ball Bearing part no. MR126-2RS (6x12x4mm rubber seals)
- McMaster-Carr part no. 99432A344 -- ordered
- McMaster-Carr part no. 94669A045 -- ordered

Thanks for the precise instructions, Alan.
Since I cannot find any Apex1 ball bearings, can I use ProTek or RCS? Not sure which one is better quality.

RCS MR126-2RS High Precision Bearing (6x12x4mm, 10pcs) CS746: $9.90

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I did not find any fancy levers, I'm doing this. Note to self:
- Kuryakyn part no. 7418
- Ball Bearing part no. MR126-2RS (6x12x4mm rubber seals)
- McMaster-Carr part no. 99432A344 -- ordered
- McMaster-Carr part no. 94669A045 -- ordered

Thanks for the precise instructions, Alan.
Since I cannot find any Apex1 ball bearings, can I use ProTek or RCS? Not sure which one is better quality.

RCS MR126-2RS High Precision Bearing (6x12x4mm, 10pcs) CS746: $9.90
i'm happy to report it's now well over 4-yrs and 25k miles and the clutch lever has absolutely no axial play ... just like the frt wheel :)

I'm sure the brg's you have sourced will be just fine. You'll have 8 spares if not.
It's the machining and proper preloading of the brg, alum spacer and the thin shims that count. Take your time and be precise.
good luck

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'll have the guys at Montreal Choppers machine that, so it will come out way better than I would do it myself. :)
I got the ball bearings from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390380018330
Thank you for the detailed scheme, Alan.

Edit: What's up with that cookie stuffing rswarrior does? Is that the new scheme to stuff cookies on our computers and make money from all purchases we make on eBay??? I changed the link to a non clickable one.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
alanh = the man! Beautiful write up! I was just grumbling Saturday how I hate the sloppy lever! Remarkable timing! Thumbs up as usual sir. :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When swapping out stockers to the Kury 7418's is this mod a must on the clutch side ?
Also, is the cable end that sits in the barrel of the lever a good fit or does it require a sleeve to hold it in place ?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Did this one last night, using outlaw warriors version of stacking four bearings and just drilling the lever all the way through. They fit perfectly, and there is a noticeable difference in how smooth the pull is - especially since I went to the Barnetts kit with green springs. For me the major reason to do it was I can't stand how the lever flopped around. If you have a drill press it takes like ten minutes tops. And that was time mostly spent removing and installing the lever. If you had to use a hand drill you could do it as long as you had a solid way to hold the lever while you drill the hole out. If any one needs it, I could go out to the garage and see what size drill bit I used.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, In preparation for this mod, I went ahead and bough the bearings off Ebay, but the 10 pack was a really good deal, So i have 4 extras. I'd like to repay some of the generosity that i have received from this site, So if anybody wants to do this mod, let me know and i can send out the bearings.

Only reservation is if one of the guys who sent me something free wants them, they get Dibs. otherwise i guess the first person who wants them gets them.

Thanks,
Brian

1 - 20 of 56 Posts