RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
i wanna mod the brake cause i get a metal to aluminum jumping action when braking. its hard to explain. since the lever is aluminum and the bolt is steel it binds from the pressure and binds. its lacking a bushing to prevent this.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Great Alan. Just great. Now I have another mod to do :)

Where did you find the sleeve?
  • McMaster-Carr, except different size sleeve brg as you would expect. I'm traveling now and will put up the P/N when time permits if you like.
i wanna mod the brake cause i get a metal to aluminum jumping action when braking. its hard to explain. since the lever is aluminum and the bolt is steel it binds from the pressure and binds. its lacking a bushing to prevent this.
  • I would also suggest you check the Master Cyl (MC) Flat Piston Surface that the M6 Cross-Point adjust screw contacts when depressing the brake Lever.
    • I had found on my bike that this was worn and I replaced (Rebuilt) the MC (New Piston Kit) which eliminated the NOTCHY feel when squeezing the brake lever.
    • IMO you'll also have better modulation with the OEM MC if you adjust the aforementioned screw to 0.015" clearance.
  • The Piston/Lever M6 adjust screw is steel biting against the die cast MC piston and will wear over a period of time imo.
ADDED: I have reviewed several alternate ways to retrofit and redesign this hard to come by M6 fine threaded screw using a cam, ball bearing screw, different lever etc and have lost interest for the time being...

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
i tried 2 levers to make sure it wasn't something other then the levers. it goes away with lube on the bolt but comes back again, it went away with the 2nd brake lever. i have a set of new levers and wanna mod the brake so i don't get this issue again. the first set got to the point to where it was annoying. i would pull the brake lightly and it was fine but if i pulled harder it would jump like feeling in the lever and brake hard. like i said, its hard to explain. i stopped using the front brakes till i got the 2nd brake lever.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I've also modified my Kuryakyn 7418 Brake Lever with

press fit...

steel-backed...

PTFE coated...

bronze sleeve bearing...

sigh.... I cant keep up with him LD... AH's bike and cockroaches are all that will be left of us after we blow our selves up...

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sleeve Bearing > McMaster-Carr

Drill > McMaster-Carr

You'll want to properly JIG-UP the Brake Lever to prevent the drill from climb cutting or lip grind the drill bit

Please verify my DIMS for your application

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Oh Yeah...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
About ready to get a few more of these done this weekend.

I noticed the first set in the pic was made in 2003 the second set in 2007. Kinda cool I thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
You doing those up to sell RIJ? I'm going to be replacing my throttle and clutch cables in the next week or two and would be interested. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
You doing those up to sell RIJ? I'm going to be replacing my throttle and clutch cables in the next week or two and would be interested. Thanks!
Sorry brother,
One set was sent to me and one in gonna use on my bike since my last broke in my accident. The other is gonna be a spare.

So Rudy are you starting a side business of selling modified levers?
Not really. It's more to help out the warriors. The cost probably
wouldn't be worth it to many. I'm not saying it's expensive but shipping 2 ways and material.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not really. It's more to help out the warriors. The cost probably
wouldn't be worth it to many. I'm not saying it's expensive but shipping 2 ways and material.
What if some one paid you for all material and labor upfront and you just set it up and mail it to them?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts