RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the forum here so not 100% how this works. I now own a 2006 midnight warrior which is my second warrior. My first was a 2005 xv1700 warrior. I have wanted to move up to a 260 rear tire but information and places that do the kits are few and far between. My question is do I have to change my sway arm and brake bracket if I am wanting to bump up to a 260 size rear tire? I've always thought that there seemed to be a good amount of space around the stock 200 tire and wheel but have been unsure of what is necessary when moving up in size. Any information would be extremely helpful.

Registered
Hey Tigster, welcome to the forum from sunny Australia. There are plenty of guys who have gone through the 260 wide mod. So when they read your post you will have your answer馃槑馃槑馃悵

Administrator
Welcome.

The widest tire that fits the stock swingarm is 210mm however that particular tire size does nothing for the look and tends to wear faster due to aspect radius change.

260mm is the widest to fit under the stock rear fender. It requires wheel widening. It may require spacer change for offset and may not like the rear suspension lowered as much as is possible with stock 200mm, but for most its still worth it for the view.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.

The widest tire that fits the stock swingarm is 210mm however that particular tire size does nothing for the look and tends to wear faster due to aspect radius change.

260mm is the widest to fit under the stock rear fender. It requires wheel widening. It may require spacer change for offset and may not like the rear suspension lowered as much as is possible with stock 200mm, but for most its still worth it for the view.
Thanks for your response I knew I needed a new wheel just wasn't sure about the sway arm and brake bracket.

Premium Member
to go to a 260 in the rear you need two main things. first you need to go to a wider rim. There are rims made for harleys out there but that requires a lot of work with respect to spacers and axle size meaning changing bearings. The most popular way is to widen your stock rim and bring it to an 18 inch. the second thing is to modify the stock swing arm so it fits a 260 tire or buy a custom swingarm. Kyle NV is one of our site vendors and he modifies both the wheels and the swingarm. Using the modified stock swingarm you do not have to do any changes to your braking system and by modifying the stock rear wheel then you have matching front and rear wheels. For most cases the Kylenv kits are basically plug and play. In most cases with a 260 tire you can still use your stock rear fender however there have been a few instances where people have had to modify (widen) their stock rear fender as they could not get their stock fender to fit even using a few shims which some people have to do. One thing you have to take into consideration is teh reason why you want to go wide. Kyle also does a 280 kit which is the ultimate in wide so if you are going wide because you want a nice large rear end then you may also want to consider the 280 possibility so that after installing the 260 you do not have any regrets. If not mistaken you can use a 280 swingarm along with a wheel which has been widened that will fit both a 260 and a 280 tire ( on the lower threshold of recommended rim width for a 280 and the upper threshold for a 260) This way you can run the 260 and later if you want to go bigger all you have to do is change the tire and the rear fender as a stock rear fender will not fit a 280 tire. Kyle can advise you properly should you decide to go this route.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Tgank
to go to a 260 in the rear you need two main things. first you need to go to a wider rim. There are rims made for harleys out there but that requires a lot of work with respect to spacers and axle size meaning changing bearings. The most popular way is to widen your stock rim and bring it to an 18 inch. the second thing is to modify the stock swing arm so it fits a 260 tire or buy a custom swingarm. Kyle NV is one of our site vendors and he modifies both the wheels and the swingarm. Using the modified stock swingarm you do not have to do any changes to your braking system and by modifying the stock rear wheel then you have matching front and rear wheels. For most cases the Kylenv kits are basically plug and play. In most cases with a 260 tire you can still use your stock rear fender however there have been a few instances where people have had to modify (widen) their stock rear fender as they could not get their stock fender to fit even using a few shims which some people have to do. One thing you have to take into consideration is teh reason why you want to go wide. Kyle also does a 280 kit which is the ultimate in wide so if you are going wide because you want a nice large rear end then you may also want to consider the 280 possibility so that after installing the 260 you do not have any regrets. If not mistaken you can use a 280 swingarm along with a wheel which has been widened that will fit both a 260 and a 280 tire ( on the lower threshold of recommended rim width for a 280 and the upper threshold for a 260) This way you can run the 260 and later if you want to go bigger all you have to do is change the tire and the rear fender as a stock rear fender will not fit a 280 tire. Kyle can advise you properly should you decide to go this route.
Thanks a lot I appreciate all your advice. I will get in touch with Kyle and go from there.

Premium Member
Read here as he quickly explains what you need with pictures....

Registered
2003 xv1700
Is KyleNv still in business? I have tried to reach him several times to discuss his services. Vm is full and has been for at least a week straight.

Premium Member
Yeah he is still around but this ain't his main business so he does this on his free time. Let me hit him up and get him to check in to see what is up.

Registered
No. In our country there is a certain "creative person" who pulled a 240 tire on a stock disc.

Facepalm :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Administrator
By 'disc' I presume you mean wheel. A 240mm on the stock wheel would be downright dangerous and would crown-wear fast.

I said stock swingarm is max 210mm, and that tire has about 1mm clearance maybe less. A 240mm tire will not fit a stock swingarm. But if he installed it on a stock rim then now its all mis-shaped so who knows if it fits but it seems unlikely. Either way, when that tire loses air the rider is destined to go over the handlebars.

The stock swingarm can be modified to fit of course, but then its no longer stock.

Registered
All arguments were useless for this creator. He did it anyway, contrary to reason)))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts