RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up a really clean 08 a while back and immediately tore it down for a wide tire setup. Fast forward to recent installation of said kit, and I had pretty bad interference between the belt and the tire. This threw me a bit because due to prior discussions before deciding on the 280 setup, there wasn’t supposed to be anything like this unless I went with a 300, which was never really on the table. I pulled the wheel back off, shimmed the pulley out exactly .250” and reassembled. After getting the belt tight and the rear wheel true, I still have interference between the two as well as another area of concern. I have .055” of clearance between the tire and the belt up top and the belt is just barely touching the tire on the bottom. The other area of concern is clearance between the tire and the swing arm. With everything tight and true I only have .052” of clearance at the apex of the tire left of center. Now the swing arm issue I have no doubt can be remedied with some removal of material and maybe having to add back some weld. My biggest concern is the belt. How much have the 280 guys shimmed out the rear pulley and how have you kept it hub centric as the hub is tapered a bit? Also how much clearance would be at a minimum to be safe between the tire and the swing arm? I don’t really know how much the tires can move and grow.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
First welcome from SoCal.....

Second, who did u get ur wide tire setup from?.?

Third, You should've got a pulley spacer for ur pulley......... Or Pulley's......

I would contact the person u got ur kit from
And get ur space / spacers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

The kit came from a very reputable source I found through the site. I have reached out but haven’t had a response yet. I don’t doubt I’ll eventually get a response, just thought I’d see how much of a spacer some guys are running and what my options are for getting the belt away from the tire.

Pulleys and spacers weren’t a concern in the initial discussions for this setup so none were sent. That being said there was a little concern about setting up a 280 kit for a 280 tire that nobody could get ahold of and get measurements for.

I have some concern about the front pulley as well. If I have to really push the rear out what are my options for the front? Do the regular road star pulleys give any extra real estate to the outside or is it all to the inside. I found some decent info through searches, unfortunately most of it is fairly old and any pictures associated are no longer hosted.

I mounted my pulley back to the wheel without any shimming and the inside belt edge sits just shy of .200” inside of the tire with a straight edge sitting against it.

But again, what would be considered a safe clearance? I no longer have a factory wheel to check what I had before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Have a look down your belt to your front pulley and you'll see where your belt it's running and how much more of a spacer you'll be able to get away with. Better yet remove your drive pulley cover to see.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Not to throw gas on the fire , but even though I wish I would've went 280
I'm happy with the 250..

It fits and looks awesome and didn't have any Issues like u stated...

I knw its Frustrating, but u need the space
/ spacers. To make it work properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,542 Posts
Usually its easy to get the Avon factory tire dimensions off their USA or UK website, they have even responded to emails. Plus there is a front tire and a rear tire thread with dimensions for many brands and models, both are older tire threads but sometimes members update by posting their tire info.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
..... The other area of concern is clearance between the tire and the swing arm. With everything tight and true I only have .052” of clearance at the apex of the tire left of center...
...... I have some concern about the front pulley as well. If I have to really push the rear out what are my options for the front? Do the regular road star pulleys give any extra real estate to the outside or is it all to the inside. I found some decent info through searches, unfortunately most of it is fairly old and any pictures associated are no longer hosted.....
This might be of some interest:
I've done the Road* 33T Frt & 70T rear using a 1-1/2" 130T drive belt with a DIY 240 swingarm.
You can check my Flickr hosted photos if interested HERE for the build and clearances.

The Road* 70T rear pulley is offset approx 3/16" off the Warrior stock pulley centerline. The belt is 3/8" wider and the outer edge of the pulley runs closer to the stock swing arm by 3/16" (half the difference.

The OEM Road* 33T Front pulley (99-03) being wider is also offset by 3/16" either side of center. The Baron 31T pulley I suspect is very similar being that it is made for the Road*. Not having hands on experience with it I can't comment and only speculate!

Be aware that the 33T Road* Frt Pulley using the stock 130T belt will bring your rear wheel approx 0.250" (7mm) closer to the swing arm structure colliding with the apex of your tire.

It's my expectation that your weld-up wheel was widened equally across its centerline as shown below.

View of Caliper Mounting Bracket slotted hole in the Adjusted position using 33T Road* Front Pulley & 130T Belt in bottom 2-photos. As stated this MOD moves the rear wheel forward 1/4" approx.

Based on your interference you'll want to stay with the stock 1-1/8" Belt.

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
You have to use a spacer to move the rear pulley out, i think i use 1/4". If you are adjusting your rear wheel using the markings on the swingarm that could be some of your problem. Adjust your rear wheel using a measurement from your swingarm pivot point to the center axle. A modified 280 swingarm could be off due to the modification, mine is off enough to make a big difference. My belt is close to the tire but not touching top or bottom. You can also run a wider front pulley to give you some extra room, but the stock pulley should be sufficient. I ran a widened stock rim for a while and it measured a little less than 10", but now run custom wheels and the rear is some what wider, but no problems with either.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
Welcome to the forum and remember the search function is your friend. Also check out the gremlin link in my signature block. If we know who made the 280 kit we may be able to help more as someone here has probably got the same kit. I have never heard of a 280 being installed without the use of a spacer for the rear pulley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Usually its easy to get the Avon factory tire dimensions off their USA or UK website, they have even responded to emails. Plus there is a front tire and a rear tire thread with dimensions for many brands and models, both are older tire threads but sometimes members update by posting their tire info.
Unfortunately with this 280 being brand new for Avon and manufacturers dimensions not taking into account for being mounted up on my rim width there just wasn’t any good info out there. I actually was in contact with Avon NA and being that I got ahold of one the first shipped 280’s there wasn’t any real world data to get ahold of.

I've done the Road* 33T Frt & 70T rear using a 1-1/2" 130T drive belt with a DIY 240 swingarm.
You can check my Flickr hosted photos if interested HERE for the build and clearances.

The Road* 70T rear pulley is offset approx 3/16" off the Warrior stock pulley centerline. The belt is 3/8" wider and the outer edge of the pulley runs closer to the stock swing arm by 3/16" (half the difference.

The OEM Road* 33T Front pulley (99-03) being wider is also offset by 3/16" either side of center. The Baron 31T pulley I suspect is very similar being that it is made for the Road*. Not having hands on experience with it I can't comment and only speculate!

Be aware that the 33T Road* Frt Pulley using the stock 130T belt will bring your rear wheel approx 0.250" (7mm) closer to the swing arm structure colliding with the apex of your tire.

It's my expectation that your weld-up wheel was widened equally across its centerline as shown below.

View of Caliper Mounting Bracket slotted hole in the Adjusted position using 33T Road* Front Pulley & 130T Belt in bottom 2-photos. As stated this MOD moves the rear wheel forward 1/4" approx.

Based on your interference you'll want to stay with the stock 1-1/8" Belt.
Thanks for the info Alan, this is just the kind of lead I need to chase down. I haven’t seen much for the difference in the offset of the Road* and the Warrior pulleys, so this is good info for my situation.

You have to use a spacer to move the rear pulley out, i think i use 1/4". If you are adjusting your rear wheel using the markings on the swingarm that could be some of your problem. Adjust your rear wheel using a measurement from your swingarm pivot point to the center axle. A modified 280 swingarm could be off due to the modification, mine is off enough to make a big difference. My belt is close to the tire but not touching top or bottom. You can also run a wider front pulley to give you some extra room, but the stock pulley should be sufficient. I ran a widened stock rim for a while and it measured a little less than 10", but now run custom wheels and the rear is some what wider, but no problems with either.
Thanks Gilly, I’ll definitely check for dimensional differences from side to side. Given the meticulous craftsmanship of my parts I would be very surprised to find my swing arm a-symmetrical but I’ll definitely rule it out. I couldn’t brag enough about the quality of the fab work on my wheel and swing arm.

Welcome to the forum and remember the search function is your friend. Also check out the gremlin link in my signature block. If we know who made the 280 kit we may be able to help more as someone here has probably got the same kit. I have never heard of a 280 being installed without the use of a spacer for the rear pulley.
Yes, Christok I’m very familiar with the search function. In fact there’s probably not wide tire post haven’t found through the search, but nothing that addressed my concerns to my satisfaction. Also there seems to be a wide range of spacers that guys are running for the same tire size, which still leads me to wonder. What kind of clearance should I shoot for as a minimum? At some point one good day as long as it doesn’t hit it’s good, but I’m not familiar with these belt drives or the wide tires and how much they can move during certain conditions.

Thanks again guys for all the info and the welcomes, it’s much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. Looking at you photos you’re not running much clearance between your tire and swing arm. Does it ever rub?

And my wheel is centered up best I can tell. It definitely has room in the swing arm to go to the right side (off center) but it’s widened the same on both sides. It’s just a hair under 11” wide. I may end up building a billet spacer with a hub centric ring and then machining my stock pulley to sit tight on the spacer, but I definitely need to get my front pulley pushed out to accommodate the difference in the rear.

·
Administrator
28,542 Posts
You mentioned the wheel is under eleven inches out-to-out, may I ask about its exact outside and inside dimensions?

From their website, in case helpful (although now you have already measured so its too late). I wish they posted everything in advance of offering new models for sale. Oh well, its there now:

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/cobra-chrome (then touch 'Available Sizes')

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was using a soft tape on it last night and eyeballing the just under 11”. I put a set of digital calipers on it this morning and it’s 10.65” edge to edge. I can’t quite say what it would be on the inner dimension between the bead rings because the tire is mounted up. I suspect it would be somewhere close to 10”.

I did check my swing arm as well and the right side is .100” shorter than the left.

Trust me we did a lot of wishing during the fabrication of the arm but I couldn’t get anything solid on that tire. I even wrote several emails to the UK as well as some phone calls to a UK vendor that was advertising it in stock before the NA ship date but when I did get ahold of them they didn’t actually have the tire yet. It’s all good though, I’ll get it done right with what I have. I’m extremely pleased with my wheel and arm, plus the Avon looks great, I was just thrown by the clearance issues, which could have been a misunderstanding on my part.

·
Administrator
28,542 Posts
A ten inch bead to bead would be Avon rim spec for that exact tire, so the tire out-out on your rim should measure really really close to the chart (url earlier). Its Avon, it might measure exactly. That tire, like the Storm series, has very stable high-speed sidewalls. I don't think they move much even in hard cornering, but it would be nice to have a couple mm daylight.

If this part checks-out then the wheel and tire are good to go and you need to focus on a couple mm clear inside the swingarm, and getting some pulley spacers. Plus you'll want to manually set-up square off the swing arm pivot center, ignoring the stock adjustment blocks. Once square, and once the belt is correctly aligned and tensioned using a 10-pound gauge, you can scribe the blocks for future reference. I like what you have done, when its on-the-road successfully its going to be a cool model to follow.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Wow. Looking at you photos you’re not running much clearance between your tire and swing arm. Does it ever rub?

<NOPE> AlanH

And my wheel is centered up best I can tell. It definitely has room in the swing arm to go to the right side (off center) but it’s widened the same on both sides. It’s just a hair under 11” wide. I may end up building a billet spacer with a hub centric ring and then machining my stock pulley to sit tight on the spacer, but I definitely need to get my front pulley pushed out to accommodate the difference in the rear.
A Nickles worth of clearance with the Metzeler 240/40R18 tire which is the widest compared to Pirelli Diablo & Avon Cobra.
All of the mentioned tires are Zero Growth. I run 40-42 psi on the rear.
The DIY Swingarm was modified for the widest tire.

As stated in my OP the Road* or Baron pulley will give you 3/16" additional axial clearance.

Back in '06' I did my due diligence and communicated with Metzeler Tech Rep regarding tire growth. Some years later I also did the same with Avon :)

This link might be of interest:
https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/2326963-post14.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts