RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gloves do you guys wear ?

I went out on the bike yesterday and my hands froze, a combination of wind chill ( the price paid for riding fast
) and the drop in temp we've experienced across the country.

I've got some Buffalo winter gloves that are wind/water and cold proof that don't quite do what it said on the box.

I'm off the the bike show at the NEC next week so any recommendations for winter gloves would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
553 Posts
a tough one warrior_uk, i suppose that's why there are heated grips. The temp up here is always a few degrees below you.I use Duchinni gloves with a slight gauntlet. 39.00 GBP's. better than any gloves I've had in the past.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
try wearing some thinmedical or disposable rubber gloves under your regular gloves. Heck, Warriordog also wears them to pack wheel bearings & buys them by the box.

http://www.oakgloves.com/

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine are Buffalo, I think they are the best I ever had for winter, cos the Gortex actually works (ie keeps out the wet) tho my fingertips start to freeze after about 10miles.

To take it any further, used to do despatch, rode all day in relative comfort using combination of heated grips + handle bar muffs - the grips were excellent, red hot, but while my palms were burning, my fingers froze, cos it wern't comfy to keep wrapped round the bars, the muffs took care of that wind chill across those dangling didgits on long trips

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
hiya - tomba calling - 'went walk about' - winter gloves yes - i'm terrible they have to look good as well!! [how sad is that?] - i have frank thomas h2o has 'aqua' stitched into back of index finger - they are water proof not cheap [can't remember how much £60'ish?]- have carbon knuckle protectors and when it's real cold thinsulate gloves get worn inside - can still get a tad cold after half an hour, but at least stay dry - have thought about heated grips, but now i don't 'have to' ride in the cold, not putting heated grips on the warrior when i may only use them once in a blue moon - made use of the saddle roll today when it ruddy snowed while visiting - kept the seat dry which was handy as i was in jeans - don't know the buffalo glove are they sold at J$S? i can take a look at my local one and compare with the frank thomas if that would help? - best winter gloves i ever had came from motax a few years back now - big thick gloves [looked ok as well] which took forever to break in, but i never found again hence the frank thomas - oh yes they also have a suede edge to index finger for wiping rain from visor useful [sort of works] but on really long rides in the rain use the stupid looking finger wiper from hein gericke but it works -hope that helps a little

Warrior_uk said:
I'm off the the bike show at the NEC next week

yup i'll begoing to - if you want company let me know but i'll probably take the train [oh the shame]

has anyone tried those beemer style plastic guards - saw company doing neat looking thin'ish ones [i'd have to scan my favourites] that might keep the wind of the end of the fingers - don't think i could put the muffs on the warrior

·
Registered
692 Posts
Churchkey said:
try wearing some thinmedical or disposable rubber gloves under your regular gloves. Heck, Warriordog also wears them to pack wheel bearings & buys them by the box.

http://www.oakgloves.com/

Does this work? I wear a pair of 150gram insulated snowmobile gloves and even at 50 degrees my hands get cold. I buy rubber gloves by the box as well, but I know that when i wear them my hands sweat and are wet when I pull the gloves off. Everything I know says wet = bad when it's cold. May have to give this a shot on the way to work tomorrow

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use two finger mitts from Hein Gerricke, good for about an hours fast riding in this weather but combined wth handle bar muffs I've done a hundred miles no problem..

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
We've had gauntlet style thinsulate gloves for a number of years now and they work great down to about 50 degrees. When its colder we useglove liners too. They are hard to find, but essentially they are nothing more than a glove's liner, except the best ones seem to be knitted like a shirt but with some elastic in it so its more form fitting. We usually get them at bike rallys or events for a buck a pair. I've had them in black, and white-ish. They last a few rides and you can wash them on cold gentle with no soap, then air dry them. After a couple wasings they are dead. There's no tag in them so I don't know brand names.

I might trynitrile gloves too, I hope they don't just pass-thru the windchill-frozen coldness on the fingertips when it gets really cold.

I think its time for heated gloves and a heated jacket too!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I ordered some "grip mitts" to try out. These, in black:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/263/4858/ITEM/Tour-Master-Cortech-ATV-Grip-Mitts.aspx

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
hi Az - just remembered before these liner tech gloves - we used to use black silk gloves inside and they really worked, but the fingers went thru the ends at a rate of knots and it got expensive - heated jacket huh - battery operated ?[no wires] i've seen them here, but if it's that damned cold my girl might geta chill lol - and my waist line is not going to look good with that under my jacket! - have you seen some good ones about?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well my Buffalo gloves were just cheap bargain basket, as I say, the gortex works in em, unlike the frank Thomas boots I had - they leaked like a sieve, took em back Twice, then swopped for cheaper rubber boots which are spiffing.

I got a real downer on so called "100% waterproof boots" since then, tho someone who rides all day (teaching kids to ride) told me his FT boots are fine

Anyhow, I'm a skinflint, others here have given better advice than my 2cents - my buffalo gloves I'm happy with, cos I dont normally go more than 20 miles in the real bad weather, if I was going to, I'd probably dig out the handlebar muffs - still got the electric grips somewhere, but probably wouldnt need them, only real downside to the muffs, apart from looking ugly, sometimes the wind gets on them and applies the brakes and clutch for you! You just got to make sure they get positioned carefully!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
REI has a pretty good selection of glove liners in anything from thin cotton, to silk, to more high tech pricier fabrics. I have a set I wear under my summer gloves for the in between months that have held up for two years

As for the nitrile glove trick, I gave it the pepsi challenge this morning and did one hand with nitrile and one without - maybe my mind was playing tricks on me but the hand in the nitrile glove was warmer - and not super sweaty when i got to work. Anxious to try this on a longer ride

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
NorCalWarrior said:
As for the nitrile glove trick, I gave it the pepsi challenge this morning and did one hand with nitrile and one without - maybe my mind was playing tricks on me but the hand in the nitrile glove was warmer - and not super sweaty when i got to work. Anxious to try this on a longer ride

& if the boys get chillly stuff a plastic shopping bag down inside the front of your pants.

I wanted Mom to knit me some sack warmers but she won't do it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/stearns_neoprene_gloves.php

During my windsurfing days we would sail in Wyoming well into October under the 80 degree rule. These were the gloves I used. I still have the same pair. The fingers are curved slightly & they are comfortable for riding. They are waterproof, windproof and have sharkskin rubber on the palm & fingers that provides excellent feel and grip on the control surfaces. For rides at about 50 degrees or above, they were too warm for me, but they are excellent in the rain.

Their only minus is that you will notice perspiration inside the glove.

I heldice cubes for 20+ minutes while reading the forum with no discomfort. For less than $20, they’re worth a try.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I wear Joe Rocket Thinsulate gloves, but the first layer is glove liners. I bout them at a Sporting Goods store and they were inexpensive. I was surprised how much difference it made. I don't ride below 40 and I don't take long rides below 50.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wear a leather gauntlet type of glove with a cotton "jersey" work glove underneath.

Have ridden with that down to 36 degrees F without much problem. I stop about

every hour. I think the leather really helps with the wind, it doesn't work so well

in the rain though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Churchkey said:
& if the boys get chillly stuff a plastic shopping bag down inside the front of your pants.

I wanted Mom to knit me some sack warmers but she won't do it.

Finally a use for that pile of plastic shopping bags, should keep em nice and humid!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts