RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put up a post a while back after I lowered my bike (PCS Links) and tore up my tailight wiring on a bottom out. It's all back together now and working, but today browsing at the autoparts store I spotted a trailer wiring harness. It's a flat 5 wire harness. The bike has a total of 7 wires in the rear (i'm running a clear alternatives tailight and LED plate light)

1) Taillight constant on

2) Brakelight switched

3) Taillight ground

4) Left turn signal

5) Right turnsignal

6) LED plate light power

7) LED plate light ground

I'd like to be able to wire everything through the harness so that I can disconnect it if I ever have to, so my question is can I combine the LED plate power and tailight power together (1 and 6), and do the same with taillight ground and LED plate light ground (3 and 7) to make the 5 wire harness work?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Churchkey showed me this trick

Go to a junkyard. Find a wrecked GM car. Cut a 7 or 8 wire "weatherpack" out of the harness and use it to run all your wires through one plug in connection.

They're weatherproof and will fit nicely under the fender. Zip tie it to the inner fender or inner fender eliminator bracket. I found one in 10 minutes. Look around the front end clip, headlights or near the gas tank on a wreck. Make sure you get both ends. More than likely they will just give it to you. If you get an 8 wire then just pull the one you are not using out from both the male and female end and leave it blank. This is easiest done with the fender off the bike on the workbench.

Weatherpack connectors

http://www.whiteproducts.net/connectors.shtml

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
On the stock bike the blue wire powers the license plate and the tail light. They might have separate plugs under the fender, I don't recall, but in any event they are both powered by the blue wire. It seems to me there's a couple ground plugs under there too. So if you have it wired same as stock after your repair, yes you can do that. You can even use the same plugs, in fact you should use the same plugs! If none of the stock under-fender plugs survived,then the power plugs recommended above are an excellent choice except protect them from the rotating tire bro!

NorCalWarrior said:
I had put up a post a while back after I lowered my bike (PCS Links) and tore up my tailight wiring on a bottom out. It's all back together now and working, but today browsing at the autoparts store I spotted a trailer wiring harness. It's a flat 5 wire harness. The bike has a total of 7 wires in the rear (i'm running a clear alternatives tailight and LED plate light)

1) Taillight constant on blue

2) Brakelight switched

3) Taillight ground black

4) Left turn signal

5) Right turnsignal

6) LED plate light power blue

7) LED plate light ground black

I'd like to be able to wire everything through the harness so that I can disconnect it if I ever have to, so my question is can I combine the LED plate power and tailight power together (1 and 6), and do the same with taillight ground and LED plate light ground (3 and 7) to make the 5 wire harness work?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, didn't add the colors, but the blue and the black wires are the ones I want to combine on the tailight end of the harness. I have a 5 pin trailer towing harness which should be more than weatherproof (especially with a little electrical tape).

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
NorCalWarrior said:
... Absolutely ....
... and here's where they originate under the ECU: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/1687013222_c68171ece3_b.jpg

AlanH said:
Sun, Jul 22 2007 3:38 PMWiring problem

The Road* Warrior has only five wires that feed the rear fender. They are sub-divided or branched for connections at the rear to accommodate the multiple grounds and run/license lights.

Black - Ground
Green - Right Turn Signal
Brown - Left Turn Signal
Blue - Running Light & License Light
Yellow - Brake Light

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alan! I figured it was 5 wires to start and that somewhere down the wire loom they just started branching off to make up enough connections for all the lightsthat need power at the rear end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts