RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words if one does not remove the AIS at all but only block the hose from the Airbox to the AIS Unit/pump would that also completely disable the AIS?
It's just a question to get a clearer picture in my mind about understanding something that has been eluding me.

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
There is little worry about psi on this system. The trouble is heat buildup. When plugged that way the air cannot flow and its what cools the metal nipples for the rubber hoses, so the rubber get brittle and starts leaking ambient pressure unfiltered air into the AIS circuit. If you are lucky then no damage other than brittle cracked rubber plugs. Pesky.

Some guys here have cut fillers from aluminum cans (no corrosion) and topped with a washer then reused the original gasket and of course cut off the nipple before reinstalling the stock fixing plates. Fill the cut-off holes or they will retain water.

Find the AIS instructions in the Documentation forum for an idea of how the aftermarket parts fit together, then you might find parts in your garage or local hardware shop.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is little worry about psi on this system. The trouble is heat buildup. When plugged that way the air cannot flow and its what cools the metal nipples for the rubber hoses, so the rubber get brittle and starts leaking ambient pressure unfiltered air into the AIS circuit. If you are lucky then no damage other than brittle cracked rubber plugs. Pesky.

Some guys here have cut fillers from aluminum cans (no corrosion) and topped with a washer then reused the original gasket and of course cut off the nipple before reinstalling the stock fixing plates. Fill the cut-off holes or they will retain water.

Find the AIS instructions in the Documentation forum for an idea of how the aftermarket parts fit together, then you might find parts in your garage or local hardware shop.
The reason I asked this question is that a member on this forum FightingGoat wrote that he did it that way and he does not mention having had any issues.
Fightinggoat
Registered

Joined Apr 15, 2017
26 Posts
#3 May 2, 2017

There is a large diameter vacuum hose that goes to the air box, if you plug it, it will disable the ais without even installing the plates, I had mine that way until I got my bock off kit and it really reduced the backfiring and popping. Still there quite a bit with an open pipe, but reduced for sure.
It's a good quick and cheap way to try ais delete without having to remove anything more than a hose.

Thanks AW...luckily I haven't done it this way...it was just a question.... you say the following: If you are lucky then no damage other than brittle cracked rubber plugs. Pesky....What if you are unlucky in this scenario? what kind of other damage could be the result?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust valve and seat carbon buildup. Heat damage. Eventual backfiring up the intakes. Plus along the way you will have heat damage to rubber parts.
So I might have heat damage now...****...I should never have removed that **** AIS...wont be able to go sleep now...this is worrying me badly now :( Bike is probably totally stuffed now

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It takes more than a few miles to ever do anything to this motor. No need to worry LOL.
Thanks Hefty...appreciate that :) sets my mind at rest a bit more now

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
A revisit of my last couple posts and my reply to your conversation-PM should tell you that at ~50km you should not expect permanent damage, and restoring the equipment to normal or plugging with block-off plates should be a priority (diy info was provided). I'm glad you talked about what you did, I think we will all sleep better tonight knowing we caught it before any harm could be done.

All that said, your geographic location is dryer and warmer and carbon fouling happens very fast in those conditions. Said another way, when there is adequate heat and dryness to harden the carbon deposits (which build thickness in coating layers) then trouble can happen quickly.

But you should not worry. Correct the conditions by putting all the hoses back so cool air flows in the correct direction. Or install purchased or DIY block off plates. Again, see instructions in Documentation (Table of Contents).

Relax. Before long we will have you thinking and working like a top hand wrench.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts