RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have any tips on how to wrap exhaust pipes and get it too look really good? i tried but the wrap was uneven. i soaked them and securedthem at one side.

i have samson shorties if thats important. thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I haven't found an easy way to do it. I've done two sets, and it takes some time and patience to do it, unless you've got a bike shop, with all the fancy tools.

First of all, wear gloves and long sleeves, and a dust mask. That fiberglass gets itchy as ****, and isn't any good for you.

Second, if you've got two bench clamps, your life will be easier. Take the pipes off the bike, and clamp the header firmly. If you don't have a second bench clamp, support the tail of the pipe with something that won't move around easily.

Start at the tail end of the pipe and start wrapping. Overlap each wrap leaving 1/4" to 3/4" exposed. After a few revolutions you will see where the next wrap should set to make it appear flush. I like a closer wrap myself, so I try to stay in the 1/4" area of overlap. It really depends on how much wrap you have. A 50 ft. roll will cover it, and leave you with plenty of extra. Wrap the first pipe, without cutting the wrap. Keep it in a roll, and let out what you need for revolution or two at a time. This will make it more managable. Pull it nice and tight everytime you go around, and keep tension while you're preparing for your next rotation.

Curves are tough, and you may have to make a wrap around that's bigger than your overlap, to be in position to make your projected overlap. Take your time. I used a quik clamp to hold tension on the wrap when I needed to stop and think.

When you get to the header, give yourself enough to go around twice before you cut it. This will leave you some extra to trim back and figure out how you want to tuck it, to hide the end of the run. Don't pinch the engine mount flange, as you will need it to be lose, to get the pipes back on the bike. You'll have to finish your wrap when they're mounted.

Repeat this for the other pipe with what's left.

Start the bike and let'em smoke! They'll smoke off for a while, and that's OK!!!

Enjoy your new muscle cruiser!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
i did not get them wet, and sat on a chair with them sitting on my lap, and turned the pipes as i went. i used 2", and overlaped one inch, so i had a good line to follow. i went from the head pipe back to the outlet.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Dont cut it to fit since by the time you re-wrap it will be different. Its a biatch messing with the long roll but worth it in the end. As stated in the two above take your time and their tips are great and agree with both. I do a double wrap by the way as in wrapped twice. Cost more but no heat leakage or unwrapping issues. Make sure its tight even if you have to go back part way and start over. After the burn in seal it and reheat the pipes followed up with another coat. I have did the unsealed before and if you hit a rain storm it will steam heat the _ell out of your leg.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did the wrapped pipe thing for a while, I couldn't stand it. The fibers that shed off the wrap were always gettin up my nose and driving me crazy. I even tried painting them with high heat paint but that didn't help much, and then the bike always smelled like burnt paint.
Looks cool though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have been thinkin about wrapping my pipes for a long time. Does it not cause the heads to retain too much heat? Also I have heard that it can also quite literally bake the carbon right out of the pipes causing them to become brittle and rot. Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I paid $30 for my header pipe when it was all said and done. The bike came with the last set (POS - Samson Street Sweepers). If they rust, big deal.

I wouldn't pay for a new set of pipes, and then go and wrap them. Used pipes though... that's another story.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Justice said:
I paid $30 for my header pipe when it was all said and done. The bike came with the last set (POS - Samson Street Sweepers). If they rust, big deal.

I wouldn't pay for a new set of pipes, and then go and wrap them. Used pipes though... that's another story.

Now you're talkin', looks good too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts