RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How close is it to getting it to fit your contures?
I want to cut a big chunk off. Tried a palm sander, file, hacksaw, nothing cuts well enough so i need to go buy some tools. Maybe a hot knife

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Get a electric serrated knife.
I bought one in Walmart and work great when I did mine...

Is that the stock padding?.?
So looks like it....

Maybe they just added the to layer of foam that u removed

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Get a electric serrated knife.
I bought one in Walmart and work great when I did mine...

Is that the stock padding?.?
So looks like it....

Maybe they just added the to layer of foam that u removed

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk
No it's not stock. They cut out the middle and replaced it with softer foam. I took a few chunks out trying to get that top layer off though.

I will try a serrated bread knife tomorrow and get tools if that doesnt work.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I gutted a bunch off and it feels about perfect. The factory cover doesnt fit any more. Needs more slack to go down in the middle.

I think if I staple it it will still bend I'm properly but might now in the seat maybe?

·
Administrator
29,190 Posts
Use medium on a heat gun or high on a hair dryer. Lightly warm the foam and medium warm the cover. It will take a few tries to GENTLY smooth the cover. Then start stapling the cover when its cooling. Re-warm and re-smooth before every staple as you proceed.

The cover will blemish if too hot. It will bump the foam if its too tight when fully cooled.

That particular cover is likely leather so apply the warming from the back. If it was summer you could let the sun do the warming. I mention it so you can guess how much warmth is needed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Use medium on a heat gun or high on a hair dryer. Lightly warm the foam and medium warm the cover. It will take a few tries to GENTLY smooth the cover. Then start stapling the cover when its cooling. Re-warm and re-smooth before every staple as you proceed.

The cover will blemish if too hot. It will bump the foam if its too tight when fully cooled.

That particular cover is likely leather so apply the warming from the back. If it was summer you could let the sun do the warming. I mention it so you can guess how much warmth is needed.
If I put the foam topper on it wasn't glued to the cover. So I will try heat and stretching the cover over the butt curve while trying to press the middle down.

·
Administrator
29,190 Posts
I'm uncertain exactly what you are saying , sorry 🤪

To some extent the leather cover will stretch unless its old and used, in which case it might have already stretched.

Separate from that, I'm wondering if its okay to glue leather to the seat (pad or foam or whatever is there under the leather).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm uncertain exactly what you are saying , sorry

To some extent the leather cover will stretch unless its old and used, in which case it might have already stretched.

Separate from that, I'm wondering if its okay to glue leather to the seat (pad or foam or whatever is there under the leather).
Hahha sorry. The original leather cover was glued to the foam. The shop put a thin foam separator between the seat foam and cover so the cover is not glued to the foam separator its free floating.

Because of this and the much deeper curve i carved out I cant get the seat pad of the cover to conform to the foam curve.

It looks like if I staple the cover in the same position. The middle of the cover will be high from tension and if I sit on it I think it will conform to the foam curve but might pull the edges inward if that makes sense. Of course I haven't tried it yet so maybe heat will give it more slack. Maybe I should glue it to the foam this time instead of what the shop did.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts