RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question; how much have you paid for this extended warranty? I recd this with my bike(used) and am in the process of cancelling it. the initiating dealer is giving me the runaround. Yamaha customer service is backing me and will refund the warranty thru this dealer. He wants to prorate it? it hasn't even gone into effect yet. anyway, I have the original invoice w/amount paid for the policy but wonder what margin this guy has put on the program. any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just put my bike in the shop today. I think I am having a fuel pump problem. The guy told me my warranty might not cover it because I didn't buy the bike there. WHAT??? Is this true?

Josh

·
Registered
731 Posts
Cajun, that's BS. Call Yamaha on that. Any post that I have ever seen where someone talked to Yamaha said they were very cool. I think I paid like $400 for my YES. $150 is a great deal. If you plan on modifying the bike any the warranty doesn't do much for you since dealers won't cover things that have been modified.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I paid $488 for a 48 month Y.E.S. That should be 60 months of total warranty (12 factory + 48 YES = 60). Following is the e-mail quote that I got directly from Yamaha.

Here is your quote for your Road Star Warrior:
12 Months = $451.00
24 Months = $503.00
36 Months = $575.00
48 Months = $654.00

My guess is that the dealer has up to a 35% gross profit margin on these products. In other words, if retail is $654 then he probably pays $425.

Cajun, warranty coverage has nothing to do with where you bought your bike. The dealer is just being a jerk, but don't respond in kind. Just calmly let them know that doing the work is necessary, and the right thing to do. Yamaha pays them for the parts, plus a set flat rate for the labor.

Service departments are starting to get arrogant, and don't want the warranty work because you pay at a higher rate for regular service work than Yamaha does. Also if Yamaha says that it takes 1.0 hours, that's all the labor time that they pay the dealer. On the other hand, you might pay for 1.5 hours for the same chore at a higher rate to boot.

Poncho, it is common for a refund to be at a pro-rated amount, and usually needs to be cancelled through the Y.E.S. selling dealer. The refund will usually be a check from the dealer along with another check from the plan administrator. Check the original documents. You may find that if canceled within a determined number of days of purchase, a full refund is due. Otherwise it will be pro-rated. I'm confused about the part that the plan came with the used bike, but hasn't gone into effect yet. Please clarify.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2K, I bought my warrior used (6mo-900mi). the original owner included as part of the deal(ipaid4it) the 4yr YES warranty. I have the original bill of sale w/prices paid. I took the bike to my dealer and had it completely checked out and a rec'd a clean bill of health and they made sure that the warranties where transfered to my name. then the mods began. Obviously I have voided any warranty. I inquired as to how to cancel and refund the 4yr YES. My dealer said to go through the selling dealer. I contacted them and got the runaround. I contacted Yamaha customer service and they will cancel the plan and refund the policy amount. I am filling out the form and accompanying letter and am forwarding to the selling dealer for him to process. I was told that he will 'prorate' the contract amount. My contention is that the bike is still under the initial 1yr warranty and the 4yr term has yet to begin. Why and what amount should I expect or accept as reasonable for prorate? The price of the policy was $610. thanx

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why have we "obviously voided any warranty?" My dealer indicated that if mods were properly done (ie. correct torque on exhaust, correct map, etc.) that the YES was still valid with the exception of the part itself, which should be warranted by the respective mfg.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LD, thats the problem. your dealer isn't servicing me. my dealer, whom I didnt buy this bike from took one good look at my modifications and let me know that 'yamaha' will not honor any warranty-see page 9-4 of your owners manual. I have done 'extensive tampering' having removed the entire AIS system,stok air boxes,relocation of all electrical items and removal of many, many hoses...not to mention the pipes or the pc3. anyway this bike is not even close to stok anymore and not possible or would i ever consider putting all that stuff bak on for warranty purposes. So that leaves me with a 4yr contract that is useless. what would you do with a $610 item you where nevere gonna use?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
you're right PV..... sounds like you should have a full refund coming if you are still within the first year! IF they give you any crap..... tell 'em they will get letters or calls from about 1000 Warrior owners!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Even though you're within the first years Warranty period Y.E.S. has other benefits that start immediately that you don't get with the original warranty. Trip reimbursment and towing come to mind foremost. I don't have this warranty but after about ten minuetes on the phone with Yamaha Corporate, this was one thing I recalled from the conversation. You might not get the full amount. Somewhere in your contract it should specify the terms and conditions of cancellation just like the ones for transfer of ownership.
You guys with the cheap warranty beware... Yamaha has it's warranty prices set for the area you purchased your bike in and live in. If you bought the bike in Fl. and got a warrranty from NC because it was cheaper than it'd cost you in Fl. they will not honor the Warranty. If you bought the bike without the warranty and moved to another region of the country and then purchased the Warranty before the first year was up, than it would be OK. Your warranty price is bound by the state you live in Fl is really expensive. This policy as explained to me by Yamaha protects the buyers and sellers from being ripped off.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Hmmm, never heard that before. I was under the impression you could buy it anywhere, like through Rivaeric and still get service in your home state.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I wanted to do this for my "other" Yamaha and asked why the warranty was cheaper in other regions of the country than it was locally. Dealers can cut the profit, or have different price points by region and apparantly have more room than they do here in Fl. They told me that any Y.E.S. covered warranty work would be kicked back if they found the above to be the case.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Poncho, thanks for the additional information about your situation. JPWarrior has pretty sound advice. If Yamaha has said that under your circumstances you will receive a 100% refund, then the dealer must do it. If on the other hand you must accept a pro-rated amount, I would then divide the total cost of $610 by 60 (12 + 4/emoticons/emotion-11.gif, and multiply by the remaining months. Just accept this as your refund, and move on. The dealer should consider that regardless of the fact that you didn't buy the bike from them, you are now potentially their customer for parts, service and apparel.

JP, I've never heard that side of extended warranty purchases, but it certainly seems to make some sense. Fortunately I purchased my Y.E.S. and bike from the same dealer. I did get the quote directly from Yamaha through their web site, and then used the information to negotiate with my dealer. I also used my knowledge of their approximate profit margin as a tool to get what I feel was a reasonable price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts