RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Going through YouTube, I stepped on this video explaining a simple mod of the Yamaha BOLT stock exhaust and the result is stunning. It is pretty simple and it looks like it could be made on the Warrior's stock muffler as well. Might be my lack of knowledge, but something I find strange is by drilling holes in the end plate, wouldn't there be exhaust gases expelled behind the end cap? Is that ok?

I am curious to know your opinions on that mod and if anyone tried something similar on their OEM Warrior muffler.
Please save the comments about how bad the "water heater" looks, to each his own, I personally like it...it's just too quiet!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
I like it! I’ve recently come into ownership of a stock can specifically to do mods on. I’m hoping to pick up another one later this week. With any luck, I can try this on one of them to see what happens. I’ll be posting a new thread when I do start experimenting.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Yeah that is an old and tried & true method of making a little more sound. On the Warrior the end cap I think is rivetted to the can. If you search a few guys have done the water heater mod in which they have cut the heater down, played with the insulation inside and made the exit hole larger. They also do this on the Raider.

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it! I’ve recently come into ownership of a stock can specifically to do mods on. I’m hoping to pick up another one later this week. With any luck, I can try this on one of them to see what happens. I’ll be posting a new thread when I do start experimenting.
Yeah, definitely let me know if you try it! Our laws here state that if you run anything else than stock exhaust, it's illegal. They give us a ticket without even checking for dB. So I'd like to keep the stock muffler for this reason, but also because I like its looks and performance, but it's just too quiet, man. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that is an old and tried & true method of making a little more sound. On the Warrior the end cap I think is rivetted to the can. If you search a few guys have done the water heater mod in which they have cut the heater down, played with the insulation inside and made the exit hole larger. They also do this on the Raider.
The silver cap is bolted to the end plate, then the end plate is soldered to the can AND to the center pipe. This mod in the link above (for Yamaha Bolt) just involves drilling a few holes around the end plate, and another larger one in the side wall of the center pipe. Then put the end cap back on.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
Yeah, definitely let me know if you try it! Our laws here state that if you run anything else than stock exhaust, it's illegal. They give us a ticket without even checking for dB. So I'd like to keep the stock muffler for this reason, but also because I like its looks and performance, but it's just too quiet, man. Keep me posted.
100% get that. Hoping to get into it next week. This week is already piling up and I'm sure the wife has the holiday weekend jammed pack with activities. :/ I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
Yes, but... My aim is to do that, but without all the specialty tools. I'll keep you posted. ;)

It is truly super helpful, though! Thank you for sharing, @Heftysmurf!

Most helpful frame from the entire video! THIS will drive my approach to streamline this mod!
Tool Muffler Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@random_guy just curious if you had the chance to try this mod or if you plan to try it soon? I'm literally hanging on you and have high hopes for this mod to be my ultimate solution. My main concern is what does it do to have exhaust gas exiting those smaller holes and being stopped/trapped by the end cap? Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
@random_guy just curious if you had the chance to try this mod or if you plan to try it soon? I'm literally hanging on you and have high hopes for this mod to be my ultimate solution. My main concern is what does it do to have exhaust gas exiting those smaller holes and being stopped/trapped by the end cap? Cheers!
I have not yet, but want to get to it very soon. Now that I know someone is closely watching, I'll see if I can get going on it sooner rather than later.

I was able to pick up another stock can so I now have three stock exhausts. I'm currently running my original stock can, but will be putting my Gen II Speedstar back on to see how my Cobra CVT and Ivan's work out. Gotta prove out with my but dyno that all this money wasn't for nothing. ;)

I should be able to start this week, but let's say next week to be safe. I'll be working at night and my garage isn't in any condition to really support this kind of work so I'll be working in my driveway. We'll see what happens, though. Fingers crossed for something worthwhile.

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! Can't wait to read your observations. Personally, I would do the Yam Bolt mod of the video but just drilling the end plate first, not drilling the pipe. That way it would look bone stock and the officers would not be able to tell it's modified ;). Waiting for your input!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
Great! Can't wait to read your observations. Personally, I would do the Yam Bolt mod of the video but just drilling the end plate first, not drilling the pipe. That way it would look bone stock and the officers would not be able to tell it's modified ;). Waiting for your input!
That's how I was thinking of starting. We'll see how it goes.

Plus, since I have my stock can currently mounted, it'll be easy to do testing by throwing it on my bike and putting it through it's paces right away. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Midnight Warrior
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes sir! Awesome @random_guy !

@Heftysmurf thank you for these clips! So we could expect a similar effect, even though ours has an end cap that would block the exhaust but not the noise? (Like the Bolt video). The inside of our muffler is quite different too, compared to the Raider... I'm getting excited now 😄

1 - 14 of 14 Posts