RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from 1st weekend @ BIKE Week.Went to Yammi display on Beach Street.Pretty nice display.(Display @ track not open until Mon.)At least 3 Warriors in exhibit.(2 customized ).Talked to Yammi rep.who said I was the first to come by & discuss the recall.He quickly got an "attitude" & told me that Yamaha was not required to do the recall at all & it was voluntary on their part for our good.He also emphatically stated that we should not operate our bikes.When I told him I'd riden my bike to Bike Week he said "Well you've been warned".After a while his attitude softened when we started to discuss me purchasing SS parts .He also could not tell me how many kits had been made to address the tranny fix or timeframe for shipping.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thank you, tlsda, for that information. Because you relate that the Yamaha rep 'got an "attitude",' I decided to dig a little more into the NHTSA web site.

If you go to this web addresss, www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect, you will find a web page that is under the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI). NOTE: This link may not work from RSWarrior.com; you may need to post the address into your browser. Perform a search with the following criteria: a 2002 (or 2003) Yamaha, Road Star Warrior, Power Train: Manual Transmission and you will be brought to a Search Results page. On this page, you will see a button, labeled "Document Search." If you click this button, a new page will appear. The new page lists two documents:

1. INCLA-PE03038-16331P.pdf -- CLOSE RESUME APPROVED ( 202.33 KB)
2. INIM-PE03038-15907.pdf -- IR TO MFR ( 294.05 KB)

These two documents show that the NHTSA opened an investigation into the transmission problem and were potentially (IMHO) going to clean Yamaha's clock! If you don't believe me, go look for yourself. The vehicles that were subject to this investigation were 'all Myr 1999 through 2003 Yamaha Road Star-Series motorcycles (including "Warrior," "Silverado," etc.) manufactured for sale or lease in the United States.'

Please pay attention to the following document dates. Document numbered *16331P.pdf was issued by NHTSA on August 20, 2003. In this document, seventeen pages long, the NHTSA demanded an incredible amount of data from Yamaha. NHTSA had six reports of rear-wheel lock-up, with two of these ascerting personal injuries. Now, two days later, Yamaha issues a VOLUNTARY recall.

Subsequent to this VOLUNTARY recall, the NHTSA closed their PRELIMINARY investigation. The second document shows that the NHTSA closed the investigation and that document ends with *15907.pdf. The date of closing was November 6, 2003, by Principal Investigator Robert Young.

In their correspondence with the NHTSA, Yamaha claimed that the only motorycles affected are the 2001 XV1600 Roadstar motorcycles, manufactured between November 30, 2000 and January 24, 2001.

I urge every member or visitor that is concerned about this recall to go to the web site address listed above and review both documents. It will definitely ground you in the issues at hand.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
spear, that investigation will take forever. Yamaha probably took one look at the list of crap they were asking for and said "there's no way we'll be able to come up with all that. Will you guys leave us alone if we just recall 'em all?"

Those documents seem to prop up my initial thoughts--that this recall is a major c.y.a.

Some of you lawsuit-guys have been saying that yamaha's known about the recall since august and all the kits should've been made already. Those documents show that's not true (they were only planning for 2,826 affected vehicles). Sounds to me like Yamaha decided to bite the bullet sometime in late december or early january. They then went into gear-making mode and got kits rolling out and into bikes in less than 2 months.

I'm still not sure how you guys think they're not busting their asses to get this stuff out. I'm pretty amazed they've already got some installed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Monstrddg

Your telling us that theres a recall on our bike, thanx again. I dont know what we would do without you.

ROFLMFAO!!!
Who knew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts