RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found many a thread regarding batteries for our beloved warriors. It seems many folks love the Lithium batteries. Those folks seems split between the Shorai and the Battery Tender brand.

After reading up on old threads I decided I wanted the Battery Tender brand battery. Seems like the correct model is BTL14A240C.

I believe that version is no longer available. That battery had exterior dimensions of 5.27" x 3.62" x 2.55".

The stock battery has dimensions of 5.91" x 2.72" x 5.67".

My question is; Has anyone used the BTL14A300CW battery? The dimensions are 5.3" x 3.0" x 5.5". I'm concerned the 3.0" width eliminates this battery as a contender. I realize I can take the 30 minutes to get at my battery box and take measurements. I'm just hoping someone has tried this battery already and found it did, or did not, work. I find the actual dimensions on products usually aren't quite as exact as advertised... so it's possible this battery is only 2.8 or 2.9" wide (hoping).

Here's the battery I'm contemplating:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A300CW-Supersmart-Lithium/dp/B07JRBV3W9/ref=pd_ybh_a_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=3ZKARV19HGY9TQ5ARAQR&th=1

I realize I can just go with the LFX18A1-BS12 Shorai, but after reading up on both I wanted to go with the Battery Tender unit.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
Here you go :)

• Battery Box Photos
    • BATTERY BOX: 5PX-2177G-00-00
      Compartment Size: 6" L x 3" W x 5 3/4" H
      Under Battery Cover/Wire Connector Tray
  • Battery-Stock '04' Photos
    • Actual Dims5 7/8L x 2 11/16W x 5 5/8H Case, 5 3/4H Top of M6 Thd , 10mm Hex Terminal Bolt

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ordered-- YTZ10S Z10S Lithium Ion Sealed Powersports Battery 12V 300 CCA - Maintenance Free, No Spills, Fully Charged and Activated, Ready to Use (MMG4) Lithium Battery from Amazon.

It was $99. I put it in & it really spins it over!Way better than any battery I've ever used in it. But, If i were to reccomend it to anyone else I'd say order this one:

Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V 280 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV - Replacement for YTZ10S YTZ12S YTZ14S YT12B-BS (MMG5)

It should fit right in the battery box at 2.6" wide. Mine is about 3.25" wide & i had to get the heat gun out & shoehorn it in. I coulda sent it back but i was anxious to try it out.

It may not last a year but I felt like it was worth trying out. so we'll see how it does

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I went ahead and purchased the BTL14A300CW battery. The lowest price was at Jegs; $145 and free shipping.

I can confirm that it absolutely fits in the warrior without having to modify the battery box. The width of the battery (front to back on the bike) is basically line-to-line, but the other dimensions are a little smaller and required some use of the supplied foam blocks. Oh, the battery box does get a little narrower towards the bottom so the battery wouldn't bottom out. I put some foam on the bottom so she isn't 'floating' in the battery box.

As for starting, with 300CCA, the highest I was able to find in lithium iron that would fit the warrior, I can't say I noticed a huge difference. Does she spin faster? Yeah. But not the night and day difference I was expecting. It seems like after installing the VBAK she doesn't seem to fire up quite as fast, takes a few more revolutions. IDK, maybe it's my imagination.

Either way, the battery fits. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last update; Yesterday I rode to work. Temp was 42F when I left in the morning and the Lithium Iron battery felt no better than the lead acid it replaced.

Temp when I left work was 65F and the bike was in the sun. She cranked SOOOOO much faster! Two quick blurps and she was up and running!

I think I'm going to love this battery after all, she just seems to like the warmth of the sun. :)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Lithium iron batteries work best once they get their juices flowing. On cold days trying turning the bike to get the lights on, get your gear on then crank it over to start. You will find the bike may turn over a bit quicker once it get some current flowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Update: I went ahead and purchased the BTL14A300CW battery. The lowest price was at Jegs; $145 and free shipping.

I can confirm that it absolutely fits in the warrior without having to modify the battery box. The width of the battery (front to back on the bike) is basically line-to-line, but the other dimensions are a little smaller and required some use of the supplied foam blocks. Oh, the battery box does get a little narrower towards the bottom so the battery wouldn't bottom out. I put some foam on the bottom so she isn't 'floating' in the battery box.

As for starting, with 300CCA, the highest I was able to find in lithium iron that would fit the warrior, I can't say I noticed a huge difference. Does she spin faster? Yeah. But not the night and day difference I was expecting. It seems like after installing the VBAK she doesn't seem to fire up quite as fast, takes a few more revolutions. IDK, maybe it's my imagination.

Either way, the battery fits. :)
Thanks DG, your post gave me exactly what I was looking for "IT FITS." I have a five year old battery tender Lithium battery in my old Honda 1100, a cold blooded beast. Still works about 400% better than the stocker. Since the old one called out by previous older posts no longer exists, I had questions about whether this would fit. Gonna order now!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Lithium batteries do not do well in cold climates if you're storing your bike outside in cold weather it's going to have trouble.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
There use to be a member on this forum who made up 1st Class Heavy Duty Plug n Play cables for our ride using a multi stranded flexible conductor with the proper terminations

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Lithium batteries do not do well in cold climates if you're storing your bike outside in cold weather it's going to have trouble.
I generally keep it on a tender during winter, parked in my garage. Not to say it doesn't get cold in there, but I never had a problem with the other bike's Lithium battery

·
Registered
932 Posts
How cold you talking there? I don't have any trouble starting my bike with lithium battery in temperatures down to the low 30s. I don't keep it on a battery tender either except when I know I won't be riding it for a long time and don't feel like disconnecting the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dirtie, I have yet to do this mod but a few guys have done it and it really helps with the cold starts Maxair Engineering llc: FlameWires X2 Series : Yamaha Road Star Warrior - Replacement Battery / Starter Cables !!!

It really should help with the resistance. They give you quality ground and started cable and thicker along with a better battery it should be noticeable.
I’ve done that mod, I found the quality to be excellent, but the fitment was tricky due to the thicker wire and shape of connector and bending radius. But I am happy with install .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts