RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order my big shots and fuel pack. Wife: "You've already done enough with your bike this year; you can get your pipes next spring."

It's not like we don't have the money. How do some of you guys with significant others manage to buy your mods and not get into trouble? LOL

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
carefully, but the old saying is, "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission"

I'm in the same boat. Fact I have already started lobbying for my big wheel kit with my upcoming tax returns and already I am getting negative responces. So I am planning on painting and drilling and hidding the rear caliper in the mean time.

Are you familiar with the names Larry Burkette (spelling?) and Dave Ramsey?, these 2 guys are financial gurus and well, my wife believes in them BIG TIME. So my chances are slim to nill when it comes to scimming monies off the top for the bike mods.

time for a part time job I guess just for my bike habbit!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Been married 15 years this past August and I have never had to ask my wife permission to buy anything. If we can afford it, I get it, if we can't afford it, I don't. She doesn't ask me for permission either but that only works if both of you can be responsible with the amounts you are spending. Man, I wouldn't know how to react to my wife telling me "no". Probably go buy 2 just on principal alone.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got the approval for the 260 wheel kit by coming home with a Luoise Vutton purse (i don't even know how to spell it, but it was F--King expensive).

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
fake said:
I want to order my big shots and fuel pack. Wife: "You've already done enough with your bike this year; you can get your pipes next spring."

It's not like we don't have the money. How do some of you guys with significant others manage to buy your mods and not get into trouble? LOL

I am a grown man with a job. I don't ask or permission. She doesn't give me any ****. the only problem with that is it cuts both ways. If she wants something she doesn't ask.

When I bought my bike she found out about it when I sent her a picture of it in the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I drove mine into the side of an Oldsmobile driven by a senior citizen. He paid for new handlebars, pipes, gloves, jacket, helmet and the insurance company wrote me a check for $5,000.00 tax free. I don't know if I'd really recommend it to anyone though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
LOL at Meatball. Me and my wife have an agreement that we discuss purchases over a certain amount to make sure we're both in agreement that we actually can afford it. Basically though since she keeps the books for us if I don't know where we stand I find out so as not to cause us problems. In my first marraige I handled the finances and if we could afford something I just bought it and if she wanted something she'd ask me if we could afford it and we'd get it. It isn't and never has been about permission in my house but rather just making sure it's a responsible thing to do at the time. It seems weird that she wouldn't "allow" you to buy what you want if you can afford it and you still have money for your investments and bills and so forth. Maybe she's just budgeting for Christmas coming up or wants to get that for you then or something?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
We have separate checking accounts and certain bills to pay. Whenever she runs short on money I pitch in and visa-versa.

The biggest problem with most guys is that they want to do something on the spur of the moment without any planning. You need to lay the ground-work for next year's mods now. The best thing to do is start a savings account for next winter's mods today. You can easily throw some into that each week without drawing any attention. Bynext fallyou should have been able to putenough away to help cushion the cost, if not cover it completely.

Start purtting money away now for the spring pipe purchase. The Big Radius 2-1 might be available by then and you'd be stuck with the Big Shots if you purchased now.

PS: How's she going to afford buying you that new Yahama Raider if you plan on spending the money on mods for the Warrior?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always bring it up as a safetyor money saving issue.

Example one. Me: "I need to get new pipes", wifey: " whats wrong with the ones you have on it?", me: " People cant hear me when Im on the highway. If I get new pipes, then everyone will know Im there and it will be alot safer. You want me to come back home safely right?"

Example two. Me: " I need to get a 240 kit", wifey: "why?", me: "Well, Its a bigger tire so it doesn't wear out as fast and you save lots of money not having to buy more tires all the time." wifey: "S.O.B. fine!"

Example three. Me: "I need to get a Corbin seat", wifey: "why?", Me: "So it doesn't hury your butt so bad", wifey: "Ahhh, that so sweat. You can get anyone you want."

Get the picture?

·
Registered
295 Posts
jscheifley said:
Promised to buy her a Star 950 in the Spring.

I agree...actually bought my wife two bikes. A can am spyder and a sportster...now i get about anything i want!

·
Registered
727 Posts
madav8tr said:
Been married 15 years this past August and I have never had to ask my wife permission to buy anything. If we can afford it, I get it, if we can't afford it, I don't. She doesn't ask me for permission either but that only works if both of you can be responsible with the amounts you are spending. Man, I wouldn't know how to react to my wife telling me "no". Probably go buy 2 just on principal alone.

+1 (except we have been married for 6 years this past August and together for 13 years total)

I have some buddies I ride dirt bikes with who are the solebread winners and they have to ask to buy something - I don't get it. I work hard and play hard, she knew that when she got into this. Too many guys get told what to do and I am not one of them. I completely respect my wife and feel I am the luckiest guy in the world to have tricked her into marrying me.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Do real-life husbands reallyget in trouble if they fail to obtain their wives'permissionbefore purchasing something? I thought that only happened in sitcoms.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if your wife really has you dominated to such and embarrassing degree, then I suggest gift-wrapping your balls in a frilly pink box and handing them over toher so she can carry them around in her purse.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ah yes, tact is soooo overrated these days...

I buy and sell a lot on Ebay and use my paypal account to pay for my bike stuff. Otherwise, if I really want/need it and the moneys there I just get it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do what I do....If we CAN afford it, I get it.......If we CAN'T afford it, I get it! LOL. My wife is already sick of "tripping" over UPS and FedEx boxes in front of the door. LOL. Or just use denial. When the box shows up, quickly sign for it and tell your wife in a puzzled voice as you shake and examine thew box "What the **** is this?" and when you open it and it's a new Tricky Air ride say "Hmmmm, I know I WANTED one, but I don't recall ordering it, you know honey, like when you don't recall not telling me your parents are coming for the weekend and I have to cancel all my plans with my buddies to entertain your jerk Father!". LOL

·
Registered
881 Posts
I crack my belt and say "YOU GET YOUR B!TCH ASS BACK IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME SOME PIE!!" (into the mirror, with my toughest face, ever) and then she comes home and I say "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe, I vacuumed the house, today, Can I please have a wide tire kit now???" as I rub her feet and feed her grapes.

Yeah, say something!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts