RS Warrior Forum banner

Your first bike was?

10K views 79 replies 65 participants last post by  gotgixers 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start a thread about first bikes. What model, year etc. No need to list everything you've owned. Just the one you broke your cherry on.

Pics are a plus.

Not sure that I still have any pics of mine laying around but my first was a 1976 Yamaha XS650 twin I bought when I was 21. It had some crazy custom in-laid metal flake/flame paint job you'd only see in the 70's. It was a bit of a basket case but it was mine. Wrecked it around 35-40 mph 3 months after I got it and it was done.

I actually learned on a buddy's 81 cb400 Honda Hawk. Rode it around for a month or two before I bought the 650 twin.

See less See more
#34 ·
My warrior was my first, not counting my Yami 80cc dirt bike I had as a kid. Never really understood why anyone should get a smaller bike to learn on when you can get a warrior right away. :D

#39 ·
I loved this bike. Got one in early 80 (Black with gold metal flake).

2nd best next to my Warrior

I only got to ride it for 10 months 14k miles before it was peeled off the front of a 66 Bonneville. Knucklehead turned in front of me at an intersection. Damned hard car.....cost me 3 broken bones in my left leg...

Bike ran great!!!!

#42 ·
79' Yammer 750 Special. Bought it with a windjammer fairing and all saddle bagged up for $400. Tore all that crap off of it and rode it finnally grenaded 2 years later.

#51 ·
I rode motorcycles the first 3 years I was driving before I ever bought a car. The warrior is the only bike I've owned (that was for me to ride) that wasn't a Suzuki. I've got over 300k road miles in 42 years of riding.
Cool, I've got a little diary on here now. May help me one day when I forget any of this stuff. Probably won't remember where my laptop is though.
1968 Suzuki X6 Hustler, bought in 1971

1972 Suzuki GT380 bought in 1973

1977 Suzuki GS550 bought in 1977

1978 Suzuki GS1000E bought in 1978 and still have it

2002 Yamaha Warrior

#52 ·
first emotions

My first bike was a Vespino. Piaggio builted in Spain this 50 cubic inches monster.
My father said me "bikes are dangerous" so, he painted it in pink. He tried to put it out of my head with this strategy. But I discovered that girls like pink colour and they love to ride with me.
A few years later I bought a Morini excalibur 350 cc built in cheap plastic but was the first bike with my wife ridden.

Attachments

#57 ·
My first bike was an HD 250 Sprint, one lunger that walked when on the kickstand & leaked oil no matter what u did but ran like a banshee & even with a single head sounded like a a Harley. I dont even remember the yr but it was in 68 & it was old ( it seemed, it was pretty rough when i got it for a couple hundred bucks) i sold it for a couple hundred bucks to buy a new Bridgestone found out 40 yrs later its quite a collectors item & only 300 or 350 made. Worth a fortune now of course, if we only new then right. My first new car was a 72 Cuda, bought in 71, Got my draft notice & sold it not knowing what the future was to be; of course now worth about $80k, paid $4200 wow the stuff we let go!

#58 ·
My first bike was a 1970 Suzuki T250 hustler. Super two stroke power back in the day. It was good for 100 mph way back then. I then bought a brand new 1977 Kawasaki KH 250 triple in blue. I modified this six months later, by having the engine ported new pistons and rebore, rejet carbs kn's and of course a set of mat black expansion chambers. Clip ons, rearsets and to top it off a FLF tank and seat unit in the green and white team Kawasaki colours. Loved that bike and still missthe sound and the smell of the two stoke oil smoke burning through those expansion chambers. My green screaming meanie 😍 😎 Frec 🇬🇧

#59 · (Edited)
Like that thread, not seen before unfortunately.

My first 'bike's was a Herkules 222TH. Sounds like a motorcycle, but was a little moped with 2.5 hp - this little nice thing was built in 1968 and my dad pulled it out of somebody's shed and made it ready for me to ride. All my mates had more modern stuff, so I got something special when I was 16.
Still in my household, unfortunately disassembled, planned to rebuild at one time.

Not mine in pic below, just to show how it looked like:

First real motorcycle was a Yamaha SRX-6. Loved the sound of single, clip-ons, super-short OEM muffler for ther cool looks !
48 hps, so enough for twisties in preferred area. I was young, so only allowed to run up to 25 hps at that time 😉 rebel by nature, I guess. Crashed the bike during a trip to watch cars at Nürburgring race track, which they call The Green H3ll. You may know, if interested in Formula 1 racing.
Lessons learned by accident 😫, ....needed ages to get back to bikes (family, house, ..... you know what I'm talking about, right).
I hated the kickstart procedure, as this was the only option to start.

Nice memories anyway. Ride safe.
Thommy

#60 ·
We shared dirt bikes in the family but my own first street bike was a 1969 Honda SL350KO it was an early attempt at a dual sport. It was okay. Later I changed/lowered the front fender a bit and that might have been my first real street bike mod. By the time I got that bike I was already heavily into building garage hot rods and fixing neighbor's cars just for fun. Looking back I realize that it probably wasn't until I got a CB750 and then a Kawasaki 90OLTD that I realized how much fun can be had on street bikes, it became possible to go far fast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.